SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    FFL dealers that make you look like a jerk or a crook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FFL dealers that make you look like a jerk or a crook Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Never again will I sell a gun to a person who's dealer or state doesn't accept gun transfers from individuals (which is totally legal according to federal law.) I recently sold 2 guns on this forum to members who live in CT. A state that doesn't allow individual to FFL transfers. These two members have been incredibly patient and understanding during this ordeal. I drop the guns to my FFL middle of last week and the counter guy tells me it's too late to go out today but they will ship second day and I will get email confirmations with the tracking numbers. Apparently this guy doesn't know his ass from his elbow because I called two days later to get tracking and spoke with the owner who informed me they only ship on Wed's. So now they have the guns a full 7 days before they ship. Today when the tracking numbers finally come they say "expected shipping date Thursday." All the while I'm stuck looking like an asshole to the buyers. I called again and they said that they scheduled a pickup for today but still no movement as per the tracking numbers.

I can't stand putting my reputation in the hands of others. The sad part is that this has happened to me before multiple times from multiple dealers in multiple states. I get that they are a business and are busy but it doesn't take a lot to inform the customer of how they ship before they do. And not to mention they charge $35 for the "transfer" on top of the shipping cost.

So you pay more money for slower shipping just so you can look like an asshole! Mad

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't stand putting my reputation in the hands of others. The sad part is that this has happened to me before multiple times from multiple dealers in multiple states. I get that they are a business and are busy but it doesn't take a lot to inform the customer of how they ship before they do. And not to mention they charge $35 for the "transfer" on top of the shipping cost.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________Thank you for posting this. I have inquired here locally and found many of the LGS FFLs do not accept transfers from individuals. Is there a particular reason for this policy? I have not had any problems receiving guns from other FFLs at my FFL, but they said they would not accept from an individual. I did not know that certain states did not allow this practice. Any more information on this topic?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
The last time I asked one of my gunshops they said it was a cover your ass type deal. Catch 22 they would accept a gun from a non FFL, but they would not send their FFL Copy to anyone who is not already an FFL for shipping purposes. This started about 5 years ago with one shop, and the other quit transfers all together saying they were too risky and too much of a hassle.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
A lot of delays can happen moving stuff from point A to point B especially if A) It's not a regular process that they do and B) there are people involved for whom shipping isn't their regular job.

in those cases, I find you need to be clear about expectations of who does what when and continuous follow-up. At least your buyers have been patient.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
A lot of delays can happen moving stuff from point A to point B especially if A) It's not a regular process that they do and B) there are people involved for whom shipping isn't their regular job.

in those cases, I find you need to be clear about expectations of who does what when and continuous follow-up. At least your buyers have been patient.

I could see that being the case for some gun shops. This place is probably 80% transfers. It's their bread and butter! They also sell a lot of antique military stuff online. They are no stranger to shipping.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I am an ffl, and I do accept from individuals. The biggest problem doing so is folks quite often do not want to include a legible copy of their drivers license. This is easily remedied by myself because I hold the gun until I get the license:-)

I have also had firearms shipped loaded... Not packaged securely... not labeled to who they are going to...

I imagine these reasons are why some say, forget it, not worth the hassle.

I simply communicate up front what is expected, and it has really been almost 100% effective.

I ship the next day if not the same day... I would be extremely frustrated waiting longer than that, especially if I had been told differently.

Best to simply communicate with buyer what is going on, on your end. Not a reflection of you, just a poor dealer.

I would post the dealers name so others know who to stay away from.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can agree that it is horrible dealing with restrictions imposed on you by other people, restrictions that are not required but made up.
On the other hand, while New York State does not technically require an FFL to FFL from out of state the New York State police politely request that you not accept from an out of state sender, according to my local FFL.
In New York State you need a FFL to operate, and a New York State " license to deal in firearms" if you wish to sell handguns and "assault weapons", with only an FFL you can only deal in long guns, and rifles. The New York State license makes the New York State request much stronger, as you need that license to deal in handguns. It is baloney, but that is what we have saddled ourselves with in this state due to the overwhelming liberal mindset in the populous areas (New York City) that overcomes the rural areas vote every time .
As long as you know the shipping policies for your FFL, just let the buyer know what they are, and if they are ok with it no harm no foul.If you need to ship through an FFL let the buyer know it will take longer, and will result in extra fees that will be paid by the buyer. Why make your pool of buyers smaller than it has to be?
I have in the past shipped a Colt Anaconda from New York to a buyer in Florida. The revolver went missing after the original trial at delivery. It was sent from my FFL to an FFL, I did not have to notify anyone, my FFL dealt with BAT, and Postal Police. The revolver was found by the Postal authorities in the local Post Office " put on the wrong shelf, in the wrong location" maybe a cooling off spot to see how hard anyone would look. When that episode happened I was more than glad to have spent the extra to send FFL to FFL.

Posts: 140 | Location: Western New York | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Is there a particular reason for this policy? I have not had any problems receiving guns from other FFLs at my FFL, but they said they would not accept from an individual. I did not know that certain states did not allow this practice. Any more information on this topic?

Paranoia.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Never again will I sell a gun to a person who's dealer or state doesn't accept gun transfers from individuals (which is totally legal according to federal law.) I recently sold 2 guns on this forum to members who live in CT. A state that doesn't allow individual to FFL transfers. These two members have been incredibly patient and understanding during this ordeal. I drop the guns to my FFL middle of last week and the counter guy tells me it's too late to go out today but they will ship second day and I will get email confirmations with the tracking numbers. Apparently this guy doesn't know his ass from his elbow because I called two days later to get tracking and spoke with the owner who informed me they only ship on Wed's. So now they have the guns a full 7 days before they ship. Today when the tracking numbers finally come they say "expected shipping date Thursday." All the while I'm stuck looking like an asshole to the buyers. I called again and they said that they scheduled a pickup for today but still no movement as per the tracking numbers.

So you pay more money for slower shipping just so you can look like an asshole! Mad

I lived in CT and dealt with this quite often. It is as much a cover your ass thing as it is stay on CT state police good side. They start poking around for any reason in ct.

I have also had a local FFL here to me sit on a gun for 3 weeks before sending it out. Truly frustrating. I have had guns sit at UPS for several weeks on end in their "lock up" mysteriously delivered after i called the local police. Boxes opened. Guns out of the plastic bags.

This is all part and parcel to ordering guns on line. Is it right, Hell no, Is it good, no. Is it to be expected. Sadly, Yes.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
That stinks. Any way you can let me know who this is so I can avoid them? You can shoot me an e-mail (in my profile) if you prefer. Thanks.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
It's Bull Moose guns in Mint Hill NC if anyone is wondering. I just called again and the owner got an attitude with me. All I asked is why I have been told different things every time I call. I can't even go pick the guns up without paying a transfer fee to get the guns back in my name. I first spoke with the dipshit at the counter who originally accepted the order. Then the owner got on the phone and told me to take my business elsewhere. I don't think he knew it was me as he knows me by name and is always asking me medical questions and such. I guess he won't miss the 20-30 transfers I do there a year. Fuck these assholes...I'll gladly pay double the transfer fee not to set foot in that shit hole again.

Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
My FFL in Florida will accept shipment from a private owner IF it is accompanied by a notarized bill of sale and a copy of a drivers license as well as one other picture ID. Also a copy of the drivers license and make and serial number of the weapon must be faxed to him prior to approving shipment. I have never had a problem with this process.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know the place. First couple of times were okay and then one time I was running over after work to pick something up in the rain and I got there at about 5:42. They apparently have some policy that they WILL NOT start transfers after 5:45, NO EXCEPTIONS. So I finish up my two transfers with the counter guy and the guy in the back, owner I guess, comes over and makes it a point to tell me next time that I have to be in before their cutoff or they will not do the transfer. I wasn't going to get into it with him, but eff him. I haven't been back. I have been using Eagle Gun in Concord, they typically ship same day if they can and are open late for after work drop-offs. No attitude either.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I shot at Eagle range once. They seemed fine but it's quite a hike for me as I live in uptown. Still worth it to know it's being done right.

Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
It's Bull Moose guns in Mint Hill NC if anyone is wondering. I just called again and the owner got an attitude with me. All I asked is why I have been told different things every time I call. I can't even go pick the guns up without paying a transfer fee to get the guns back in my name. I first spoke with the dipshit at the counter who originally accepted the order. Then the owner got on the phone and told me to take my business elsewhere. I don't think he knew it was me as he knows me by name and is always asking me medical questions and such. I guess he won't miss the 20-30 transfers I do there a year. Fuck these assholes...I'll gladly pay double the transfer fee not to set foot in that shit hole again.

That's nonsense. I would tell them politely, once, to have guns ready FOC or they would not like the remedies I would set into motion. I mean legal, not going in with a bat or anything crazy.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Best to find a kitchen table FFL who does things right, or a regular reputable shop who does what they say.

It's worth the extra $20 to them every now and again, IMO. Even when they refuse it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Q83
posted Hide Post
I'm very fortunate to have a great kitchen table FFL. He usually gets things shipped the same day or the following at the latest.

Sorry to you had to deal with all the bullshit dusty.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
ISRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:

< snip >

I have also had firearms shipped loaded... Not packaged securely... not labeled to who they are going to...

< snip >

Best to simply communicate with buyer what is going on, on your end. Not a reflection of you, just a poor dealer.

< snip >

All those and more. I've even received a gun from a sender who somehow managed to choose my name and address in Virginia for a gun destined for a Pawn Shop in Oklahoma. I never got a decent explanation of that one.

The reason I stopped accepting handgun transfers from individuals is 18 USC 1715 and a propensity for non-licensees gambling "that one handgun won't get found." I'd just as soon not have the Postal Inspection Service in my life.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post