SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Customer Charge" On Utility Bills
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Customer Charge" On Utility Bills Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
What is this crap?

On my natural gas bill there is a "Customer Charge" of $11.75 for the month, so even if I used 0.00 CCF of gas last month, these bastards are still getting $11.75 from me. For what?

I went back a year to last year's bill at this time and the charge was $8.00 so they are sneakily raising it as they go along too.

Same bullshit on my electric bill too.

Mad

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
That is for reading the meter and possible equipment replace over the life cycle.

I have the same problem on some of my bills where the service charge is more than the utility usage.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
They call that 'The basic charge' here. Our utilities company has been talking about replacing the analog meters with Wi-Fi meters so the lazy readers won't have to get out of their trucks plus it would double our f***ing 'basic charge'. Mad

Bastards!!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
It's similar to how most banks will charge you to keep your account open if it's below a certain balance.

The only thing at my house that uses gas is the central heat, and it's only cold enough five months out of the year to warrant the heater. My gas company charges $17.53/mo in Customer Charges and franchise fees even if I use 0.00 CCF.

I got in the habit of disconnecting my gas in the spring and reconnecting it when winter rolls around. It costs $35 to reactivate each year, but that's considerably less than $17 x 7 months for an idle account.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
That is for reading the meter and possible equipment replace over the life cycle.

Actually, that is charged separately on my bill with other "fees" or "charges". This appears to be pure profit for them just because they can.

I read that some states even have utilities that hit you with a charge for not using 1,000 kwH a month or higher or some such shit??

They urge to to conserve and reduce, then turn around and penalize you when you do! WTF! Confused

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
welcome to the world of the SMART READERS! those readers have so many ways to screw you it will make your head spin. The meter readers are becoming extinct because the smart readers transmit the reading directly to the company. If you don't have or want one you are charged a fee to pay for a meter reader. They make the fee high enough that you will eventually ask for one to be installed. This is only the beginning like brown outs in small areas that are using to many Watts or even individual homes where too many watts are used like for pot growers who failed to get a permit from the power Co.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sneaky little buggers, aren't they?

I noticed months ago that our city has been pushing the due date for auto-draft payment for water/sewer back 2-4 days each month. Sure, it doesn't affect how much I'm ultimately billed, but it's aggravating as heck for the date to be constantly moving and all just so they can push a few more dollars into each year, I'm sure.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Sneaky little buggers, aren't they?

I noticed months ago that our city has been pushing the due date for auto-draft payment for water/sewer back 2-4 days each month. Sure, it doesn't affect how much I'm ultimately billed, but it's aggravating as heck for the date to be constantly moving and all just so they can push a few more dollars into each year, I'm sure.
Is it monthly billing, or is it billing every four weeks?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Actually, that is charged separately on my bill with other "fees" or "charges". This appears to be pure profit for them just because they can.

I read that some states even have utilities that hit you with a charge for not using 1,000 kwH a month or higher or some such shit??

They urge to to conserve and reduce, then turn around and penalize you when you do! WTF! Confused

Local water company wanted to raise water use rates, because customers were conserving and using less water.

They got booed out of the council meeting.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
electric company was purchased by another company. i got an extra $75. /mo on my bill for xxxx. ( i cant recLl what thsy called it) it was a charge to all thier customera to pay for the purchase of the company. total BS!!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
My natural gas and electric bills include small charges for receiving a paper bill.
WTF.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"They urge you to conserve and reduce, then turn around and penalize you when you do! WTF!"

Actually, the utility doesn't like it either, so it must be working. Here's why: Once a utility's rates are set (after a rate case which occurs every few years), that utility has a financial incentive to increase sales.

Legislators and Regulators require utilities to operate conservation programs (that reduce sales) against their will, because it is contrary to their financial interest.

The same Regulators require utilities, at tremendous cost, to install facilities rarely used so, for example, the AC doesn't go out on the hottest day.

Many utility costs do not decrease with your decreased usage (and the same fixed costs must be spread over less sales). To remain healthy that utility must be allowed to recover it's costs.

There are tests to ensure that each (Demand Side reduction) conservation program is cost effective versus satisfying increasing demand had you not conserved (Supply Side increase). So you're screwed less than had you not conserved, and the planet will last longer.

Regarding Customer Charge,

The Customer Charge represents the fixed costs to a utility if the customer uses no product. It is sometimes referred to as "Ready to serve fee." Maintaining the pipes/wires, the shiny trucks, the jet airplane, maintaining the account, reading the meter, etc.

Don't kill me, I'm only the messenger...Tom

Posts: 306 | Location: PA | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
They call that 'The basic charge' here. Our utilities company has been talking about replacing the analog meters with Wi-Fi meters so the lazy readers won't have to get out of their trucks plus it would double our f***ing 'basic charge'. Mad

Bastards!!!

And you can bet the pay rate for the readers is not scaled down due to the fact they are doing less labor.

Ain't technology great?

Jim

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you ask the company?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Bastards!!!

Jim

I worked at a municipal water utility. We replaced all the meters with the newer models that you gather in a drive by. It takes 2 men 2 days to read the entire town. Now the rest of the month, these meter readers work with the repair crews. Or they can stick with the old meters and pay the salary and benefits for 2 men to read the meters for 3 months per cycle. It makes sense to radio read the meters.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is nothing " sneaky " about any of this . All utility companies are regulated by the State and even Federal agencies . That's who you should complain to .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post