SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Movies, TV, and guns .... again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies, TV, and guns .... again Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
So I’m catching up on “Longmire”....
Ferg is driving around w/ girlfriend d, looking for her mom.
“Does your mom keep that Savage 99 loaded?”
“Well, not like, loaded loaded,,,but there’s always one in the chamber...”

Um, what? I bet it also has the shoulder thing that goes up.

I know, I know....only one of “us” would catch that, much less go to the trouble of posting about it.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's funny, I remember that line and I took it as Meg knowing nothing about guns and it being kind of a joke that she would think one in the chamber was not really loaded.

I could be way off though!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
That's funny, I remember that line and I took it as Meg knowing nothing about guns and it being kind of a joke that she would think one in the chamber was not really loaded.

I could be way off though!

I'd say you're way off. Smile

Tried "Longmire" but there were too many things about the show I didn't care for - not the least of which is its lack of effort at anything resembling accuracy as regards firearms. Case in point was when the sheriff was in the bar of his Indian friend talking about a shooting. The caliber of the murder weapon was 45-70 and, according to both the sheriff and his supposedly-knowledgeable-about-weapons friend, that could only come from one type of gun, a Sharps. Stupid things like that caused me to give up on the show before I could finish the first season.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, LOTS of gun stuff is wrong. The one caliber, one gun thing has been used more than once, in fact.
Lots of hammers get cocked and re-cocked. Even Walt’s lever gun has had the action worked several times across a few scenes...you know, to make a point.
And do not start me on Walt and his 1911.....

But I still enjoy the show.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
*snort* If you guys shun everything outta Hollyweird that contains technical inaccuracies, they'll be precious little left to watch

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
*snort* If you guys shun everything outta Hollyweird that contains technical inaccuracies, they'll be precious little left to watch

I agree wholeheartedly.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I tried the show when it first aired, and the first episode turned me off to it completely. As I recall, I stopped watching right after the 45-70 Sharps dialogue.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Yeah on Shooter the series Bob Lee’s character told some poachers something like a 223 is only suitable for taking down squirrels. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I see these things, I wonder isn't there someone on the set that knows SOMETHING about guns. If the actor doesn't have sense enough to know, that you can't hold someone at gunpoint with an uncocked 1911, how about one of those thousands of people, who now get credit at the end of the picture, a gaffer, an electrician, a best boy, the assistant to Mr. So and So, anybody ??

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the Thompson with the bolt forward.
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
Yeah on Shooter the series Bob Lee’s character told some poachers something like a 223 is only suitable for taking down squirrels. Roll Eyes

Well, depends on the squirrel...

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just watched Canadian Bacon again and the scene where "Honey" shoots Roy Boy with a Mini-14 that apparently is a bolt-action Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Re: Walt and his 1911

I haven't been paying particularly close attention to his gun handling, what is it that he's doing "wrong"?

I have a love/hate relationship with Longmire as a show. I have a little difficulty believing Walt as a long-term sheriff, given his obsession with Jacob Nighthorse and his tendency to jump to conclusions.

More germane to the intent of this thread, if you want to see some Stupid Gun Tricks, check out Tin Star on Amazon Prime.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15229 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phpaul...Walt and his 1911...

Sometimes it is bolstered cocked and locked. Sometimes with the hammer down. Some scenes he is holding it and the hammer is down. He then has to cock it when things get serious. I want to say I have even seen him thumb the hammer down when it turns into a no shoot situation.
One of the episodes this season he shoots somebody 2-3 times. A couple episodes later he doesn’t know if he used it again during a drunken blackout. He talks about it like he doesn’t know if he reloaded the mag after this shooting...really? You shoot somebody, the feds take the gun for ballistics, then give it back. The first thing you do isn’t to top off the magazine?
I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen him use the safety....

Very inconsistent gun handling all around.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
hudr - Thanks. I'll make a point of looking for stuff like that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15229 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He routinely clears houses with his finger on the trigger.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
A movie gun scene that always bothered me is in the original "Beverly Hills Cop" when Jonathan Banks (the art dealer/smuggler's body guard and "professional assassin") is in a gunfight/shootout with Eddie Murphy, both trying to kill the other in a house. When Banks gets the drop on Murphy, he has to pump a round into the shotgun before he can shoot, the sound of loading the round thus alerting Murphy to just barely get out of the way. A professional would be loaded and, in that situation, finger on the trigger. Less drama but a lot more realism but then Murphy would've been blown away.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
My biggest bitch about guns in both TV and movies is very consistent, no matter WHAT the movie or show is! In fact, I'm sitting here watching "Nikita" again right now and just saw it during a typical gunfight...

The gun is shot until slide lock and yet, you the viewer, hears the hammer click another time or two. Us "gun guys" (and gals) know this isn't possible on a semi-auto with the slide locked back, yet EVERY... SINGLE... TIME... you have a gunfight in a TV show or movie, you hear hammer clicks on an empty gun when the slide is locked open!!! Mad STUPID! SO STINKIN' STUPID!!!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't recall seeing that.