SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    computer rant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

computer rant Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
I signed on this morning, and lo & behold, Chrome was again installed on my system. Not only that, but that damned NOAD crap was running again.

Apparently, IE had loaded Chrome, again, and started that NOAD shit, again.

IE is a piece of crap software! I don't want it on my system, but can't find a way to get rid of it.

Anybody know a way to dump it?

Thanks

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My knowledge of Windows is somewhat dated; I have been using Mac for several years, but last I knew, IE was an integral part of the Windows OS and could not be removed. This might not be current information.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm confused.

Are you saying that Internet Explorer (IE) installed Chrome for you automatically, without your permission?

That doesn't make sense...

IE is an internet browser created by Microsoft. Chrome is an internet browser created by Google. Microsoft and Google are competitors. Those two browsers are directly competing software. Why would IE install its competitor automatically?

And if it's the Chrome browser that offends you, why are you wanting to uninstall the Internet Explorer browser? If you uninstall both, what browser will you use to get to Sigforum? Big Grin

Are you sure you mean Chrome? Or do you perhaps mean something else?

Is this the NOAD you're referring to? https://malwarefixes.com/remove-noad-variance-tv/ If so, that's a virus/adware. Sounds like you need to clean your system.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

I guarantee Microsoft did not design Internet Explorer to install Chrome on its own and run it.

You have a computer virus. Uninstalling IE, or any web browser, isn't going to fix it. You need to find and kill the virus and then make sure you have protections in place to keep that from happening again. But if you still want to do that you can find step by step instructions on the internet.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Chrome is installed with many, many "free" apps. You have to pay attention and uncheck all the "also install" stuff.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Well, for the naysayers, when I shut down my system last night Google (chrome?) was not installed. NOAD was not running.

Powered up this morning and NOAD was running, and the little symbol indicated it was running in IE.

And Google was installed and running.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Chrome doesn't run within IE. It's a separate program, not an add-on to IE.

There are a few Google-related add-ons to IE, like the Google Toolbar. Could it be one of those?

Or maybe it's another malicious add-on, like NOAD, that's masquerading as "Chrome running in IE".

No matter what, it sounds like you have one or more pieces of malware that are installing unwanted things on your computer. Download and run the free version of Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I think as RogueJSK seems to be suggesting, you may not be using the proper names of the items.

Can you take a screen shot of your screen showing this NOAD and the symbol you say that shows it is running in IE?

Perhaps if we can see some pictures of what you are seeing it would help.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have downloaded and run 3 or 4 malware programs. They are "free". Up to the point that you/I want to fix what they found.

Then, up pops the screen with payment info.

And that includes malwarebytes.

In my admittedly old fashioned world, when someone says it is free, I assume FREE. Not just to tell my what is wrong and then want $39.95, or more to fix what they found.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, Malwarebytes is not like that. Their basic version is really free, and will really scan and clean any malware issue for free.

They do have pay versions that you can upgrade to if you want fancier features, like real-time protection or blocking you from accessing bad websites.

But the basic "I already have a malware infection and I wanted it cleaned" portion is really, truly free. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm lost. What is "NOAD?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Sounds like he has this, which is malicious adware that automatically inserts ads into IE.

https://malwarefixes.com/remove-noad-variance-tv/

(Kinda ironic that something titled "No Ad" creates more ads.)

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No, Malwarebytes is not like that. Their basic version is really free, and will really scan and clean any malware issue for free.

They do have pay versions that you can upgrade to if you want fancier features, like real-time protection or blocking you from accessing bad websites.

But the basic "I already have a malware infection and I wanted it cleaned" portion is really, truly free. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou

Certainly possible I missed the part about eliminating the problems detected. Will try it again.

Thanks

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sounds like he has this, which is malicious adware that automatically inserts ads into IE.

Yup, that's it.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ran that one. Found a bunch of files, and did offer to quarantine them. Did so, and they are gone.

Thanks for the tip. Given everything else I may just pay the money for the full blown subscription, since this temporary one runs out in 13 days.

Thanks, again.

Edited to add: System has been running for about 15 minutes, no problem.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter