SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Daughter didn't get recognized because she is a girl
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter didn't get recognized because she is a girl Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted
As much as I love the SASP and the SCTP, there is a lot of things they do that I find frustrating and annoying. It's as if they are missing any resemblance of common sense sometimes.

So, SCTP is clay shooting and SASP is action target shooting. Both group are under the SSSF and decided to have a new competition this year to promote both. There are some kids that excel in shotgun sports and others that excel in the action shooting arena. So, they came up with top gun this year. They took your Trap score, Skeet score, and sporting Clay score and then add your pistol and rifle ranking. 1st got 200 and 2nd got 199. Top possible score of 1000.

This was great because it promoted both type of shooting and would get kids to try the other sports. However, they did not do a boy or girl division. I immediately emailed them and told them that it was unfair as the boys typically have higher clay scores than the girls. Their response was yeah, yeah, yeah. We know but we already did the contest and we will put it in the plan for next year to change. By the way, they also lumped the 10 to 12 years old with the high school kids.

As predicted by me, my daughter Edie was the top girl shooter in the Top Gun competition in the country but was not recognized because they only recognize the top 6. She was number 8 in the ranking with only boys ahead of her.

https://sssfonline.org/nearly-...sasp-sctp-nationals/

https://sssfonline.org/wp-cont...pGun2018_Results.pdf

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Why do boys typically shoot better than girls? Is it because they practice more or started shooting earlier? Or because of some physical limitation of girls in general?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
No disrespect intended, but does shooting really need to be divided into boys/girls?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the same. Why separate? But I see the Olympics is all separate.

https://www.olympic.org/shooting

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
She didn't get recognized because she placed 8th.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
They separate for everything else boys and girls.

For every shooting event, it is separate. Even the last competitor standing, a shooting game for prizes, they separate the boys from the girls. It was this the only one thing that they combined it.

Does everything needs to be separated? Yes, they should. Just like bathrooms, Olympics, and the scouts.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two daughters I feel your pain. They both played college tennis. When they beat the boys growing up the boys claimed they cheated and would not play with them again. They got better by competing against boys when the coach forced the boys. Girls as a rule are more cooperative than competitive.

Use the 8th place as a motivator for her.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Why do boys typically shoot better than girls? Is it because they practice more or started shooting earlier? Or because of some physical limitation of girls in general?

Upper body strength typically makes it easier for males to control a firearm, pistol or long gun.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
As I said, I knew it was going to be tough for her to break into the top 6. I told her to do her best and have fun. She did. She will compete as a college athlete next year.

I was very proud of her shooting. She had a rough 2nd day with Sporting but overall, she shot great. She even held her own in Bunker Trap, an event she may have shot once before in practice.

If you actually read the score, she kicked every boy's butt ahead of her in action shooting as well.

sorry to hear about those boys. Reminds me of the old men @ the club that used to allow her to shoot with them on trap. My daughter is all of 5 feet tall....and after a round, she would ask them if they want to shoot again. The excuses why they can't made me laugh.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
They separate for everything else boys and girls.
Not American Ninja Warrior they don't.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Upper body strength typically makes it easier for males to control a firearm, pistol or long gun.

Pelvic structure and lower body strength give females a more stable base to control a pistol or long gun. Its a wash.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
She didn't get recognized because she placed 8th.

This. From what you said, they only recognize the top 6.

What's the issue here?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You could buy her a trophy yourself???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I see what you're saying, but I'm glad she was able to at least shoot and have fun. At a camp my daughter and many of friends attended, girls were not even allowed to participate in the shooting or fishing.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Dude - Your Daughter placed 8th at the SASP/SCTP Nationals! Let me rephrase - She placed 8th out of Nearly 2,700 other Youth Competitors....THAT IS HUGE!!!

Obviously, you are posting this in the WRONG Forum, as it most certainly does NOT belong in the 'Pitch your bitch' section! Wink

Congratulations to your Daughter....You should be VERY Proud! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Dude - Your Daughter placed 8th at the SASP/SCTP Nationals! Let me rephrase - She placed 8th out of Nearly 2,700 other Youth Competitors....THAT IS HUGE!!!

Obviously, you are posting this in the WRONG Forum, as it most certainly does NOT belong in the 'Pitch your bitch' section! Wink

THIS!.... Smile Smile Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I see what you're saying, but I'm glad she was able to at least shoot and have fun. At a camp my daughter and many of friends attended, girls were not even allowed to participate in the shooting or fishing.

That sucks...I have two daughters (both dang good fishergirls) Wink...fairly good shooters both Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but I think maybe the category is wrong. We have a female deputy that placed 2nd in weightlifting at Police Olympics. Lots of training in MMA and shooting. She's a legit badass. BUT- she's still a 130 pound human being. I can outfight or outshoot her in my sleep. (I wouldn't try to outrun her). There's a reason you don't see groups of tiny SWAT Operators, Delta or Teams guys. How big were the first 7 guys that beat her? If they were the same size and weight then she probably deserved 8th. 8th BTW is awesome. IMHO, a 5 foot 100 lb person that can tie me at the range, probably has a higher skill level than I do.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Your praise and recognition of your daughter and letting her know, will do more for her in life than anything "strangers" bestow.

If she is looking to them, you are not doing your part.

My oldest daughter is 32, my youngest daughter is 27.

They are little honeybadgers.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

That is a very wise point.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post