SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New junk-caller approach: "Hey, this is Steve, I'll be in your area and wanted to call before I stopped by"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New junk-caller approach: "Hey, this is Steve, I'll be in your area and wanted to call before I stopped by" Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
Well, "Steve", thanks for the voice message.

However
a) I don't know a Steve,
b) I don't recognize your phone number (nor does Google),
c) your canned message didn't mention the name of anyone living here, ....aaaand
d) you didn't leave your reason for 'stopping by'

Why do I think you are a junk caller?

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll make an appointment for Steve to meet me at some liquor store address in the deepest hood. Have fun Steve.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
And keep in mind, Steve, that if you do decide to "stop by", that trespassers will be shot and survivors will be shot again.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Maybe Steve just dialed the wrong number?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Go with reverse of our approach when the obnoxious lady misdialed the cable company; "They are on your street right now, can't find the house. Please go outside and wave them down!"

Maybe Steve is that guy who was just convicted for robocalls, starting over from prison.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard about this company on the local radio. They intercept robo calls to you and use a computer to confound the caller. you can listen to some samples here:

http://www.jollyrogertelco.com/pick-a-robot

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been giving the address of the local federal prison. Just to change things up, I keep a list of the address of all 6 correctional/detention facilities in my area.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
They don't get that far around here.

Wife and I do the same thing.

"Hello" Hi, this is (Click)

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post