SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate ticks!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate ticks! Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Spent a beautiful morning on my hunting land today walking around and clearing some trees that have fallen. Brought home a nice truckload of firewood. Also brought home some ticks. I hate those things! Time to break out the permethrin spray for next time (which I forgot this morning).

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Tennessee. Besides the weather, the lack of ticks (and chiggers) is one of the best things about moving to New Mexico.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No ticks in New Mexico??? Hmmmm...

Dogs been looking at me funny for using their shampoo and now think the tick spray is desirable since I use it on me first.

We need a war on ticks. Worse than covid.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
No ticks in New Mexico???

Maybe not, but SCORPIANS!!! Eek

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Uh, oh.

If I didn't know any better, chbibc just got ticked off. Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Uh, oh.

If I didn't know any better, chbibc just got ticked off. Wink

Roll Eyes Ugh

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I grew up in Tennessee. Besides the weather, the lack of ticks (and chiggers) is one of the best things about moving to New Mexico.

Maybe not in your area but in the southern part of the state they sure are. My first tick bite came while working a wildfire south of Socorro in the bosque, this was in the early 80’s.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
As someone who has had Lyme disease twice, I concur with your sentiments regarding ticks. I hate them more than fire ants.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You need a bunch of wild turkeys. They eat the heck out of ticks.

We get a fair amount in this area, but locally there are a couple flocks of turkeys that wander around and I've yet to find one (knock on wood) on my property.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Maybe not in your area but in the southern part of the state they sure are. My first tick bite came while working a wildfire south of Socorro in the bosque, this was in the early 80’s.

True, but I haven't seen a single one in my area. I live just east of ABQ on the other side of the mountains. No bosque around here. I also haven't seen any in the mountainous areas.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I was in Florida a few weeks ago, out in the woods a ways north of Orlando.

I was wearing khaki pants and looked down, had two hundred + seed ticks on me. Tiny, but when you see that many at once you can. That’s no exaggeration. I spent quite a while knocking them off, bagged up my pants, checked and rechecked. Somehow I got them before they got me.

I usually know better and soak everything in permethrin before going there. Oopsie...never again.

I swear everything in Florida wants to kill me. Last time I was down there I was grilling steak on my mom’s porch when a bear showed up next door.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Dont forget about the chiggers and the mosquitoes!

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I was in Florida a few weeks ago, out in the woods a ways north of Orlando.

I was wearing khaki pants and looked down, had two hundred + seed ticks on me. Tiny, but when you see that many at once you can. That’s no exaggeration. I spent quite a while knocking them off, bagged up my pants, checked and rechecked. Somehow I got them before they got me.

I usually know better and soak everything in permethrin before going there. Oopsie...never again.

I swear everything in Florida wants to kill me. Last time I was down there I was grilling steak on my mom’s porch when a bear showed up next door.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on hating ticks! As I've gotten older , I've developed a really (really) bad allergic reaction to ticks. Every time I get one all my lymph nodes on the side of the body that got a tick get swollen and painful for days or even a week. The tick bite itself will swell to like a 2" radius raised disc and itch and burn for up to a month. They will often look like they are healing and the attachment site will "blow up" again in terms of itching and burning, taking someimes 2 months to fully go away, often with a scar.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Last time I was down there . . . a bear showed up next door.
Next door is OK, especially if the neighbors are the annoying type.

I have video of a large black bear at my front door. He (she?) has been roaming our neighborhood for many months. We are really city / suburban, not rural, although there are some small wooded areas where Mr. (Ms.?) Bear probably lives. No problems with people or pets reported to date, other than Bear investigating garbage cans that are left outside overnight (stoopid people!).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:

I swear everything in Florida wants to kill me. door.

I have heard similar comments in the past from many people.
I took that advice seriously and never moved to Florida when I retired.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I changed my thoughts about Possums when I learned that an average possum eats 5000 ticks a season. They noted that the Possums don't carry Lyme as well.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
somehow I must be lucky regarding ticks, as I very rarely ever have one on me. a lot of my work involved cutting large tracts of land with a hydro-ax, like a big brush hog that can cut 8" trees and such, so on inspecting land, the others with me are crawling with ticks, and I always have none. last time there were 5 of us, the rest covered, me none. always assumed it was because I like a lot of garlic, and ticks don't.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
You need a bunch of wild turkeys. They eat the heck out of ticks.

Guineas likewise.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My dad nearly died of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite when I was a kid. I hate the things.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
One of the odd little creepy things that I wish I could forget....

A few years ago I found a dead tick on the blanket on my bed. It was flat, so I like to think it means it was just stuck on clothes or something and perished before it could attach anywhere. But it was on MY BED. (on my side, not my wife's)

It wasn't even on me. I really don't like ticks.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post