SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate ticks!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate ticks! Login/Join 
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
There is an island nearby that is inhabited by really wealthy people and a bunch of deer. When we would do any tree work there, we would have to tape our pants shut and spray ourselves with DEET. The deer ticks were insidious. The association that takes care of the common areas put out deer feeders which had brushes that applied tick killer to the deer's necks. I haven't seen a tick there since then.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the woods of North Florida. I get ticks and redbugs (chiggers) going to the mailbox. We have had a rainy few weeks and the mosquitos are so big I saw one standing flatfooted propositioning a Turkey. If we could only train the yellow flies to attack the mosquitos, we might gain some headway.

Posts: 9 | Registered: April 17, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a very close friend in his upper 80's who lived in Northwest Arkansas. He had become mentally somewhat frail and had a tick attach itself to his scrotum while he was doing some yard work. He was not aware of it and after a few days he developed an infection which became so serious he was placed on a respirator and he passed on several days later.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
I had a very close friend in his upper 80's who lived in Northwest Arkansas. He had become mentally somewhat frail and had a tick attach itself to his scrotum while he was doing some yard work. He was not aware of it and after a few days he developed an infection which became so serious he was placed on a respirator and he passed on several days later.

Similar, but not tragic, story as mine. A tick attached itself to the back side of my scrotum. I found it about 10 hours later, removed it, but later starting having weird symptoms.

My internist found the head was still embedded and he removed it with a scalpel.

I had elbow pain for 2 years thereafter.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Timely, I saw this thread while taking a break from drowning my turkey hunting clothes in permethrin. I started buying the 10% stuff at Tractor Supply and diluting it to the proper strength for clothing. For $10 I can do what would have cost me a several hundred bucks were I still buying Sawyers.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
Time to break out the permethrin spray for next time (which I forgot this morning).

Treating your clothes is all well and good, but don't forget a good picaridin spray for your skin! For most of what we get around here, I find that to be sufficient for a day hike. We only break out the permethrin and pre-treat our clothes if we're going to the jungle (literally) or somewhere we'll be outdoors a lot for an extended period.

Good luck with those bastards.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
You need a bunch of wild turkeys. They eat the heck out of ticks.

Guineas likewise.

And opossums.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7084 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post