SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Normal-sized people, I envy thee
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Normal-sized people, I envy thee Login/Join 
Picture of Gong Show
posted
My life would be so much easier if I wasn't so stinkin' tiny. Seriously, being really short with child sized hands and feet? Sucks hardcore.

Since my hockey season is winding down, I figured I'd get a jump on what I knew I should have done last year: order new skates. I've worn custom made Graf hockey skates for the last 15 years to solve a number of fit issues, but mainly because my feet are the equivalent size of most six-year-olds. A size 1.0 youth skate isn't at all made for adult weight or strength. The last time I wore skates off the shelf, I tore them apart (literally) in a shade less than a month.

So last week, I bounced over to the Graf Canada website, intent on placing my sixth skate order...only to find they went out of business last spring. Fudge!! Double fudge for the fact that the other skate companies, Bauer and CCM, either can't do a custom skate that small or don't do custom skates period. Excellent. *sarcasm*

My only hope rests on the fact that the original European division of Graf is still in operation. Assuming they can do what their Canadian counterparts did, maybe I'll have my skates by October. I'll be thrilled if they're under $1,000 per pair, but I'm expecting they'll be more with import taxes and fees.

There goes my new gun money, dammit.

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you find some 28 inch inseam, boot cut jeans of the 36" waist variety.

Or a 19 inch neck dress shirt that doesn't double for a sail off the rack.

Normal people suck.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a somewhat hard time just finding medium clothing. Almost everything starts at L, with up to three X's preceding the L.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Haha. Try being 6'1" with broad shoulders and muscle. I can either wear a L like a muscle shirt or XL which is comfortable on the shoulders and super wide with the extra length over L. It varies between brand too.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We all have our crosses to bear. I have gorilla length arms. Long sleeve anything is a problem for me. And super wide feet. I haven't bought shoes in a store for decades.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Haha. Try being 6'1" with broad shoulders and muscle.

Hey, that should put you dead nuts in the middle of "average" according to the claims of everyone on the Internet. Smile

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Try finding pants longer than 34" with a 34" waist.

I came to the conclusion long ago that dress pants were made for fat people. Fat and short or fat and tall.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what normal is? As a boy, I was very small, very skinny. I was short until I graduated from high school. I always had a hard time finding clothes that fit. Living in a city of about 60k it was hard to find the right sizes. I had to drive to larger cities to get my clothes. Well I grew. I have always been a little thin, but now I have a 34" pant length. With a 32 waist, it is easier to find my size, but still can be frustrating. The good thing now is that I weigh about 175, so at my age most of my friends are not svelte, but now I look ok.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Let me know if you find some 28 inch inseam, boot cut jeans of the 36" waist variety.

Or a 19 inch neck dress shirt that doesn't double for a sail off the rack.

Normal people suck.

I can relate to this.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I came to the conclusion long ago that dress pants were made for fat people. Fat and short or fat and tall.

I feel ya, try finding them for 34" inseam and 32" waist, at least slacks. Jeans are easy to find as I only buy one brand, but slacks are a different story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Haha. Try being 6'1" with broad shoulders and muscle. I can either wear a L like a muscle shirt or XL which is comfortable on the shoulders and super wide with the extra length over L. It varies between brand too.

I used to have that problem, all my suits had to be custom tailored. Shirts were tight around upper body and looked 3 times oversized at the bottom. I fixed it by fucking up my knees. Don't exercise anymore, not I'm more "normal" proportioned. Why don't they make clothes for healthy fit guys?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:Why don't they make clothes for healthy fit guys?

Because there are only 17 of them in the country at any one time. Smile

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So are there no Canadian made grafs sold anymore? Or just no more custom skates?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrajet:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I feel ya, try finding them for 34" inseam and 32" waist, at least slacks. Jeans are easy to find as I only buy one brand, but slacks are a different story.

This, but I typically get a 31x34, can make a 32x34 work, but they're really loose without a IWB holster.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in my 30's and 40's I lifted weights, heavy weights. I'm 6'4" and at that time weighted 250, all muscle. I could not find any long sleeve shirts that fit. The sleeves were always too tight. Had to wear short sleeve shirts and they were too tight but at least I didn't tear the sleeves during normal arm movement.

Now that I am in my 60's, I no longer lift weights. I broke myself one too many times, torn tendons, tore my ulnar nerve loose, tore my rotator cup, etc. healing when your older sucks.

I now look like the senior citizen I've become and It is still a bitch to find clothes that fit.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Try finding boxers with enough room... nearly impossible.

Big Grin

(kidding)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Try finding boxers with enough room... nearly impossible.

Big Grin

(kidding)

Just tape it down.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.vhhockey.com/

Have you tried here?

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
I'm really glad I didn't open this thread while I was at work today. My boss would have received an interesting explanation as to why I was laughing my ass off while staring at my phone. You guys are hilarious.

So not only do I have teeny, tiny hands and feet, I am also very short. Five feet, to be exact. (Or 5'6" wearing heels!) I have broad shoulders for a female with -ahem- not a flat chest. Shirts with buttons? Forget about it. And thanks to the five nights I spend a week on the ice, I have really muscular quads and glutes. If it doesn't stretch, it won't fit. I can normally find jeans just fine, but shopping for work clothes is akin to going to the dentist.

My solution? Lululemon. My credit card does NOT approve. I'm also convinced I'm solely responsible for keeping my tailor in business.

Sigmonkey, I've requested that Mr. Gong Show immediately change the ringtone he uses for me to "Short People". That. Is. Awesome!

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post