SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    You Actually Call This A Pizza? Really?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Actually Call This A Pizza? Really? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also a great selection of Rioja wines. Mmmm.

V- I have never tried any Spanish wines but many years ago (not long after the Mrs an I were married) I found a perfectly delightful Portuguese wine (Lancers) it is a sparkling wine. It lost the supermarket business in this area and you can now only fine it in specialty shops but it is still very moderately priced.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
quote:
Also a great selection of Rioja wines. Mmmm.
V- I have never tried any Spanish wines but many years ago (not long after the Mrs an I were married) I found a perfectly delightful Portuguese wine (Lancers) it is a sparkling wine. It lost the supermarket business in this area and you can now only fine it in specialty shops but it is still very moderately priced.
If you like red Bordeaux (the Englishman's "Claret") you will love the red Rioja wines. Same grapes, very similar wine, much more affordable.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen anchovies offered as a pizza topping in years.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are four dozen pizza places here in the Quad Sillies, and another two dozen places that will sell you a pizza.

but ! only four of all of these , can include sauerkraut ! on top

so it looks as though I will have to take some with us when we go Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I ordered two pizzas the other night
1 large meatball and mushroom
1 small cheese for my daughter

Lets see the one they f*ck is my daughters, I get home and its a small cheese pizza with greek olives, even I wont eat that sh*t. At least my fiancee likes them

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
We live almost an hour apart, so the logical meeting place was a small city in Central Florida that's just about halfway between us.

The downtown "Main Street" area is all up-scale and yuppified and has a great selection of eating places. We settled on a building that has an open floor plan with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, a microbrewery, and quite a few place to grab food.

Whintah Pharrk?

Armandos? Antonella's? Park Ave Pizza?

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
We live almost an hour apart, so the logical meeting place was a small city in Central Florida that's just about halfway between us.

The downtown "Main Street" area is all up-scale and yuppified and has a great selection of eating places. We settled on a building that has an open floor plan with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, a microbrewery, and quite a few place to grab food.
Whintah Pharrk?

Armandos? Antonella's? Park Ave Pizza?
I'm losing faith in you, dude. Usually you are right smack on, but this time you're wrong on every count. Wink

Wrong city, so of course that makes all the boutique pizza joints you named just as wrong.

You had it half right. Winter <something_or_other>

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
....I found a perfectly delightful Portuguese wine (Lancers) it is a sparkling wine. It lost the supermarket business in this area and you can now only fine it in specialty shops but it is still very moderately priced.

Ah, yes...I remember Lancers Rose wine of the late '70's and early '80's. In the fancy stone jug bottle. (Before I switched over to Finlanda Vodka)

Very inexpensive at the time. I drank much Lancers.

Hell, I drank much of anything.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
A fellow forum member and good friend decided that it was way past time to get together, have lunch, schmooze, catch up a bit, and solve the world's most pressing problems.

We decided on the fancy schmancy pizza place. We'll split one. Sausage and mushrooms all over, plus anchovies on my half.

"Sorry, we don't have anchovies."

You call yourself a pizza place? What? At the prices you're charging, $$$$$ for a pizza, you don't have anchovies? This is beyond belief.

ps: I would have enjoyed a bit more tomato taste, too, but that is probably easily remedied next time, when ordering. I'll also remember to have a can of anchovies in my pocket.

Just placing the anchovies on a cooked pizza won't cut it, they have to get cooked into the pizza. BTW, I agree wholeheartedly about your feelings about pizza shops that don't have anchovies but that is what happens when too many Snowflakes are involved.

Nearly as shocking is a "Mexican" restaurant that doesn't have Jalapeno peppers. Yeah you heard me right and it's located in Lexington, VA. Have a brother in Law who is a VMI graduate and retired there after 32 years as a USAF JAG and we went there for dinner one night. What they call "natchos" is a mess of taco filling with some guacamole on top, chopped tomato, green pepper and some tortilla chips buried somewhere at the bottom. Actually didn't taste too bad but no heat whatsoever. So I ask for some sliced Jalapeno to top it with and was told they didn't have any in the place because some customers complained the food was too spicey.

I'm now at the point where I think that any food serving establishment should simply stock up on jars of baby food so when the Snowflakes complain they can hand them the baby food and allow us real adults to have a well prepared meals cooked as they should be. Dad gummit dang flammit I want Anchovies on my Pizza and Jalapeno peppers on my Natchos.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
....I found a perfectly delightful Portuguese wine (Lancers) it is a sparkling wine. It lost the supermarket business in this area and you can now only fine it in specialty shops but it is still very moderately priced.

Ah, yes...I remember Lancers Rose wine of the late '70's and early '80's. In the fancy stone jug bottle. (Before I switched over to Finlanda Vodka)

Very inexpensive at the time. I drank much Lancers.

Hell, I drank much of anything.

yep,

it (Lancer's) was a step up from Boone's farm and almost as fancy as White Zin,,,

Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If you want "real" pizza you need to go to a pizzeria that has been certified by Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. The pizzerias that I've been to remind me of enjoying pizza overlooking the Bay of Naples.

There's one not too far away that gets great reviews. I tried it and decided I prefer pizza with a baked crust. I'm not into raw, doughy stuff. Maybe it was an off-day in their kitchen, or their quality dropped since they got certified. Or maybe I don't like "real pizza."

The "artisan" pizza place I learned to 'za had anchovies. It was rare someone ordered them, but we had them and for that rare person that ordered anchovies... well, they got anchovies. That's all I'm sayin'.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm losing faith in you, dude. Usually you are right smack on, but this time you're wrong on every count. Wink

Wrong city, so of course that makes all the boutique pizza joints you named just as wrong.

Ahh winter garden?

Don't get over there much yuppie haven?

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
If you want "real" pizza you need to go to a pizzeria that has been certified by Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. The pizzerias that I've been to remind me of enjoying pizza overlooking the Bay of Naples.

There's one not too far away that gets great reviews. I tried it and decided I prefer pizza with a baked crust. I'm not into raw, doughy stuff. Maybe it was an off-day in their kitchen, or their quality dropped since they got certified. Or maybe I don't like "real pizza."
Raw, doughy crust isn't normal, but of course you knew that before you posted.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ahh winter garden?

Yup. Smile

I don't get over there much, either. Just been there a few times, always to meet our forum member friend. That location is just about mid way between his place and mine. By the way, if you were to fire up the HD and ride over there, there is a Thai restaurant (Thai Blossom if memory serves) that is just about the best that I have been to, and it's right next door (same building) to a good ice cream shop that stocks The One True Flavor -- maple walnut.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raw, doughy crust isn't normal, but of course you knew that before you posted.

My point was that the certification isn't necessarily a guarantee of a "real" pizza. You get what you get walking into any pizza place based on who's making the pies and running the oven. You can get fantastic product at a startup and shit product at an internationally certified place, or vice-versa. Employee turnover is extreme.

That said, I want to visit Italy and try the real deal by the real deal guys in Naples some time.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I "roll my own", literally. I like the Chicago damned-near-quiche pan style, and the wife likes New York damned-near-read-through-the-crust style.

The special orders never get goofed up, but I do wish a local restaurant offered pizza we both liked. The closest real pizza place is about a two hour drive.

We used to have a nice local, called "Red Heart Pizza". The different offerings were all named after heart conditions. It closed after the owner died of - you guessed it - a heart attack. That Karma dude can be harsh.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I do like anchovies, but only on the side so I can regulate the taste

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ahh winter garden?

Yup. Smile

I don't get over there much, either. Just been there a few times, always to meet our forum member friend. That location is just about mid way between his place and mine. By the way, if you were to fire up the HD and ride over there, there is a Thai restaurant (Thai Blossom if memory serves) that is just about the best that I have been to, and it's right next door (same building) to a good ice cream shop that stocks The One True Flavor -- maple walnut.

WE had a good thing going. You agree anchovies is the one true za topping, and then you rip out my heart. Everyone, and I mean everyone knows that pecan prauline is the one true flavor. I have a honeymoon coming up, i'll plan it to near orlando and fight you over this. (get ice cream and compare)

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ahh winter garden?

Yup. Smile

WE had a good thing going. You agree anchovies is the one true za topping, and then you rip out my heart. Everyone, and I mean everyone knows that pecan prauline is the one true flavor. I have a honeymoon coming up, i'll plan it to near orlando and fight you over this. (get ice cream and compare)
You can state your incorrect assertions until you're blue in the face, but it is a well-known fact that Maple Walnut is # 1. If you don't believe me, just ask PHPaul.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Did you go to the Plant Street Market?
They have a burger there with pineapple on it that is great!
Plant Street, yup.

Um, burger with pineapple. I don't even know what to say. I'm at a total loss for words.

I'm not. No wonder they are closing......

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post