SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    You Actually Call This A Pizza? Really?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Actually Call This A Pizza? Really? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I went to a new pizza eatery in my town. A twelve inch pizza with sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, and onion cost $18.00!? DeGiorno and Screaming Sicilian will continue as the brands of choice at Casa Kablammo.

Excepting that I bought '00 flour' and will roll my own in cold weather.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
DeGiorno and Screaming Sicilian will continue as the brands of choice at Casa Kablammo.
Yeah, DiGiorno isn't bad at all. I have never tried Screaming Sicilian, but I'll look for it at the store, give it a try on your recommendation.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that Publix has a footprint in your area. The Publix Premium house brand product line is excellent quality. The ice cream is probably the best store-bought that I have found, and we do like their frozen pizzas.

The ice cream is best right out of the freezer, but we do like to run the pizza through the oven before eating. Seems to have more flavor that way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky to live in an area that has a strong Italian influence and some of the best pizza.
From deep dish to thin, it's pretty much covered.
Last night I went to a local dive bar to see a live acoustic show and happened upon a white pizza that I never knew this place had. It was cheap and delicious.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Excepting that I bought '00 flour' and will roll my own in cold weather.

I used 00 for a while but lately have been using AP again and to be honest I can't tell much difference. I'll get some 00again if I run across a screaming deal, but otherwise it's not worth the price difference to me.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
If I don't get heartburn, its a good pizza..

Regardless of where its made.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to a new pizza eatery in my town. A twelve inch pizza with sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, and onion cost $18.00!?
Now, you gotta understand just how prices like this can be justified.

First, you need to have a cutesy menu.

Then, you need to describe your pizza crust as "artisan." OK, they got me there. WTF is "artisan" pizza?

As it is said, Google is yore fren'. I asked Google, and here is what I found: "Technically speaking, an artisan is a skilled craftsman — someone who's accumulated knowledge and skills through some of kind of apprenticeship. An artisanal pizza, therefore, is a pizza crafted by someone who possesses a deep knowledge of the process."

It's nice to know that the high school dropout who stuck my pizza in the oven is a skilled craftsman with knowledge and skills. Uh, make that a deep knowledge. Makes it worth every penny of that eighteen bucks.

And they still don't have anchovies!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, I'm with you on the "artisan" thing.

Freakin' everything is "artisanal" around here, to the point that it's a sign for me to avoid any product that puts that ridiculous word in their description.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
It's not a real joint if I cant get NY style with anchivoes. If it cant fit that order, they suck. plain and simple

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
It's not a real joint if I cant get NY style with anchivoes. If it cant fit that order, they suck. plain and simple
Absolutely correct. For those of you who were not fortunate enough to grow up in the NY metropolitan area, a "real" pizza is served on a battered metal platter, with a small puddle of grease that can be sopped up with the crust of your slice after you have eaten most of it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Absolutely correct. For those of you who were not fortunate enough to grow up in the NY metropolitan area, a "real" pizza is served on a battered metal platter, with a small puddle of grease that can be sopped up with the crust of your slice after you have eaten most of it.
Typical NY nonsense when it comes to "Italian" food. Modern pizza was invented in Naples, Italy, and NY style pizza is a bastardization of "real" pizza. There are two "real" pizzas:
  • Marinara - tomato, oregano, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil
  • Margherita - tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil.

If you want "real" pizza you need to go to a pizzeria that has been certified by Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. The pizzerias that I've been to remind me of enjoying pizza overlooking the Bay of Naples.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Typical NY nonsense when it comes to "Italian" food.
    It is quite possible that I could be wrong. After all I was wrong before. Once.

However, I am pretty sure that there is no city in Italy that has a population greater than the population of citizens of Italian descent in the NY metropolitan area.

The numbers, and the traditions handed down within the family, make NY Italians just as "real" as any in Italy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Typical NY nonsense when it comes to "Italian" food.
    It is quite possible that I could be wrong. After all I was wrong before. Once.

However, I am pretty sure that there is no city in Italy that has a population greater than the population of citizens of Italian descent in the NY metropolitan area.

The numbers, and the traditions handed down within the family, make NY Italians just as "real" as any in Italy.
    Make that twice. The entire state of New York has less Italians than the population of Rome - 2.7 million vs 2.8 million. NYC has 684k Italians which means Rome, Milan, Naples (birth place of pizza), and Turin are larger (Palermo is about a tie). If you branch into suburbs and cross state lines NYC metropolitan area is slightly under 1.9 million Italians making it smaller than Rome proper (Rome has sprawling suburbs too bringing the total to 4.3 million).

Back to the pizza, I've spent quite a bit of time in NYC in the 90s and the pizza is nothing like the pizza I had in Italy. NYC pizza is it's own genre of pizza (Chicago style is another genre with a large fan base) and it's very good but it's not the definition of "real" pizza (i.e. Pizza Napoletana).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    You're going to feel
    a little pressure...
    posted Hide Post
    I was visiting my parents in central Florida. We went to go pick up a pizza. I asked them to make it with "fresh garlic" on it.
    They looked at me like I had asked for "ground up Unicorns". No dice.

That's not a pizza place, in my book.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fatmanspencer
    posted Hide Post
    Tator, I'm not trying to hate, but your saying Chicago style like its a form a pizza. There is proper style, the fast food style, sicilian style, and the crap the italians have that are mozzarella

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    DeGiorno and Screaming Sicilian will continue as the brands of choice at Casa Kablammo.
    Yeah, DiGiorno isn't bad at all. I have never tried Screaming Sicilian, but I'll look for it at the store, give it a try on your recommendation.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that Publix has a footprint in your area. The Publix Premium house brand product line is excellent quality. The ice cream is probably the best store-bought that I have found, and we do like their frozen pizzas.

The ice cream is best right out of the freezer, but we do like to run the pizza through the oven before eating. Seems to have more flavor that way.

Screaming Sicilian is better than both of them, but still isn't a fresh pizza.

If you think those are good, buy the Publix yogurt. The 2% blended greek yogurt is better than ALL of the other brands by a long shot. I've found that the Publix products are extremely good across the board.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    Screaming Sicilian is better than both of them, but still isn't a fresh pizza.

If you think those are good, buy the Publix yogurt. The 2% blended greek yogurt is better than ALL of the other brands by a long shot. I've found that the Publix products are extremely good across the board.
    Yogurt on pizza? That's disgusting.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    And %2 blended yogurt at that.

Blended with what? Bet it ain't Pesadich!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fatmanspencer
    posted Hide Post
    Greek yogurt or death man.

אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    Anchovy yogurt?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    Sounds fishy to me.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post