SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Poor Planning by Employer.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Planning by Employer. Login/Join 
posted
My employer had a week long forced outage/shutdown last week. Perfect time for all your normal maintenance type activities I would think. Anyway, first day back is today and I roll in to see them paving the parking lot. Line of hot mix trucks in the drive, pavement spreader thing, two rollers, sweeper and a bobcat all working around employee vehicles. No painted lines, no sign for parking and the lovely smell of hot mix while I wait to spend 8 hours sweating my ass off. Perfect way to start my day.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That's pretty dumb.

Either the contractor pushed them off or somebody wanted a week off last week.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I find that during the summer season you are at the mercy of this type of work. Jobs get pushed back/ahead depending on how long the previous job or the weather conditions were.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the smell of fresh, hot, asphalt.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My schedule for providing service to my customers in my little mom-and-pop business is completely FUBAR right now. Vacation schedules.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:

Smells like....Victory! Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We saw something very similar yesterday OP.
Went by a local correction facility(jail).
They were paving and painting lines in parking lot...Sunday looks like the biggest visiting day as the parking lot had no empty spaces. Looked really dumb doing that on a Sunday???

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side, you have a job to go to :-)

I often see a road paved with new asphalt and then a couple months later it gets dug up to install something or another and then paved over again.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

I actually do. Also like the smell asphalt gives off after long dry spell followed by short burst of rain.

Conversely diesel fuel makes me nauseous when I smell it.

I guess some hydrocarbons I like, some I don't.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local post office is famous for this kind of stuff. I check my post office box daily, so visit six days per week. Due to poor planning there is limited parking and cars often back up into a major highway.

The lot has been repaved several times ALWAYS in the middle of the week. When the large air conditioning units failed, large cranes had to be brought in to do the job. The cranes were dropped off on Monday morning and the lot was blocked off for the whole week, even though the units did not arrive until Wednesday.

Poor planning is not the problem. It is a management issue, and not caring about customers.

In contrast, I have to give credit to MDOT for some stuff. The four lane highway in front of my office was milled and repaved at night, inconveniencing fewer people.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
As long as I'm not the one that has to work with that hot crap in the blazing sun in the middle of summer they can do it any time they want!
Has to be a truly awful job... about like roofing in the summer.
You see those poor people and they look like over done baked potatoes.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I actually do. Also like the smell asphalt gives off after long dry spell followed by short burst of rain.

Conversely diesel fuel makes me nauseous when I smell it.

I guess some hydrocarbons I like, some I don't.

Worked for the city in HS. Loved shoveling asphault and the smell of diesel. De-lish.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take diesel over fresh tar any day, twice on Tuesday. Just prefer the tar would be solid before I am forced to drive on/around it. Tar spots on light paint are annoying.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
As long as I'm not the one that has to work with that hot crap in the blazing sun in the middle of summer they can do it any time they want!
Has to be a truly awful job... about like roofing in the summer.
You see those poor people and they look like over done baked potatoes.

I have a friend that works for a paving company and he loses around 50 lbs during the summer and gains it back in the winter months. Tough way to lose weight.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post