SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Have You Noticed
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Have You Noticed Login/Join 
posted
That every other commercial these days features a mixed race couple. Is this just a reflection of today's society or does the advertising world have an agenda? The one that makes me feel it's the latter is the Consumer Cellular ad that features an older Caucasian couple with a biracial granddaughter. That one seems to be going out of its way to make a point.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
SUBJECT LINE

"Have you noticed" is insufficient. Complete the subject line. Let members know what your thread is about

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
If or when our country ever takes the pipe, the twin evils of PC and obsession with Diversity will share the blame.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Report This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Is it PC to reflect a new reality? I was on a cruise ship out of Galveston around Christmas and was quite surprised by the large number of mixed-race families onboard.

My best friend from college is in mixed-race marriage and has produce two mixed-race boys, though they appear black. His white parents are therefore seen with little black grandsons.

Likewise, at least two of my law school classmates are in mixed-race marriages with resultant children.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Have you noticed Laura Ingraham's new face?

She claims to not have had plastic surgery, but SOMETHING is different.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have had the same conversation regarding the commercials. Everything is done intentionally.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Have you noticed Laura Ingraham's new face?

She claims to not have had plastic surgery, but SOMETHING is different.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's paid advertisement everything is intentional.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's intentional but don't really care. In my area I would guesstimate that the percentage of bi-racial couples is anywhere from 5 to 10 percent though it's kinda hard to be accurate. However, unless it's a locally produced commercial for a local business, most of the advertising we see is geared toward the largest population area near us, which is the whole DC/Baltimore/NoVA area where I would suppose the percentages are higher. In other words, no real agenda other than most ads are geared to the largest markets.

One thing is for sure, they got you to look at the commercial didn't they?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. I think we are past worrying about mixed race couples.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure it was intentional and designed not so much to change opinion but to try and reach a certain audience. The Chevy commercials go out of their way to communicate to Millenials that their commercials become the subject of parody, aka Mahk.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. I think we are past worrying about mixed race couples.

Yup. Loving v. Virginia was decided in 1967. Without it, Clarence Thomas couldn't be married to his White wife. Ironic, that.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Eh, marketing...trying to appeal to as many groups as possible.

And every other new tv program seems like they have a gay person in it.

Fine, but let’s reflect real world percentages.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yep...it's everywhere you look Wink...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have noticed it. have also wondered what their agenda might be.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I pretty much ignore it. It’s everywhere in all forms of media.

My halfbreed kids ignore it too.
My oldest son is black/asian and is mistaken for hispanic alot.
My daughter and youngest son are white/asian but my daughter looks asian and my son looks white.

So we look strange out in public together.

grandaughter is black/white/asian. Soon to be here grandchild #2 as well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
That's so passe'. It should be a biracial GAY couple.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
YOUR NEIGHBORS WILL BE RATTLED when they SEE THIS!

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
UNBELIEVABLE Revelation!~

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Does your life look like TV/mass media/the movies? Is everyone you hang with surgically augmented, botoxed and fucking everything that moves?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post