SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Once again, Apple ticks me off.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once again, Apple ticks me off. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I want to watch the Tom Hanks Movie "Greyhound".

It's only available on AppleTV.

Last night, my smart TV had a pop up for a free three month trial of the AppleTV app which I had previously been unable to get, not being an Apple fanboy nor owning any Apple gear.

Clicked on it, and I'll be a sonofagun, you can redeem the offer via a PC. Woohoo!

Except that it kept popping up an error message, "Not currently available." Shit.

Tried it again this morning, and it went through and gave me a big long code to enter.

Via iTunes only. Don't have iTunes, don't want iTunes and I'm damned if I'll download it!

Assholes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I had the same result when I tried to watch it. I also have no Apple products but they lead you to believe you can watch on a windows PC for a trial period. Pissed me off.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We watch all of our TV via and Apple TV 4K set top box. We have YouTube TV, NetFlix and Amazon Prime. YouTube TV also gives us access to lots of other stand alone channels like Paramount, HGTV, Discovery and more. This little box is expensive (~$200) but is very cool. We travel with it and an HDMI cable for hotels and winter stays. We upload the digital codes on movies we buy to watch anywhere.

Plus Apple TV+ is free for a year when you buy certain Apple products.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
We watch all of our TV via and Apple TV 4K set top box. We have YouTube TV, NetFlix and Amazon Prime.

That's all well and good. We have Apple TV 4k streamers, and like them, too. But that doesn't address the previous posters' complaints: They feel they've been led to believe they can subscribe without acquiring an Apple STB, and seem to be finding they cannot, after all. I'd be annoyed, too.

That being said...

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Via iTunes only. Don't have iTunes, don't want iTunes and I'm damned if I'll download it!

Isn't that a bit like complaining you can't watch Netflix w/o installing the Netflix app, Amazon Prime Video w/o installing the Amazon app, etc.?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Former Apple hater converted to Apple Fanboi here, ditto what mcrimm said.

We have a couple 4K Apple TV boxes and never a problem. The Apple TV HD box is still available and a little cheaper at $149 and also includes first year Apple TV+ ($60 value)

As for watching on a PC, what browser are you using? I just tried via my work PC and tv.apple.com website in a browser. Signed in with many Apple ID and it worked just fine. Had to scroll all the way to the bottom of the window, to find “Greyhound” but it is there and started playing. This was using Google Chrome browser. Then I tried the same with MS Edge and it wouldn’t work (failed to respond to clicking on “sign in” icon)

Interesting thing about watching this way, surprised they don’t have a search box at the top of the screen to enter what you are looking for. Instead limited to scrolling through whatever they put up. Guess they don’t want to make it too easy to be happy without some level of commitment to Apple Wink

Not sure why they would require iTunes unless you were purchasing a movie as that is how your owned library is accessed.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Isn't that a bit like complaining you can't watch Netflix w/o installing the Netflix app, Amazon Prime Video w/o installing the Amazon app, etc.?

To be fair, yo can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime video through web browser without using the apps. Even as an Apple fanboi, I’m surprised Apple doesn’t do better in this regard.

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I just refuse to be forced to buy a product from a multi-billion mega corp. to watch a movie or TV show. Mad

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Former Apple hater converted to Apple Fanboi here, ditto what mcrimm said.

I was never an "Apple hater," so much as I was disinclined to invest in the Apple ecosystem. But, like many people, I always viewed Apple fans as being somewhat cult-like.

Then we got our first Apple devices: A pair of iPads on sale at Costco. They worked so well, so smoothly, that when Google/Android annoyed me yet again, we transitioned from Android to iPhones. Again: Terrific experience.

Thus it was that, after less-than-sterling experiences with Android TV and Amazon Fire TV devices, we gave Apple TV a try. And again: Thoroughly satisfactory experience.

We've now replaced two of our streamers with Apple TV 4K devices. Almost enough points on our Visa rewards program for the third. Eventually all our streamers will be ATVs.

Next up: Macs on the desktops Smile

quote:
To be fair, yo can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime video through web browser without using the apps. Even as an Apple fanboi, I’m surprised Apple doesn’t do better in this regard.

Didn't you just write that you could with Apple TV+, if you had an Apple account?

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I just refuse to be forced to buy a product from a multi-billion mega corp. to watch a movie or TV show. Mad

As noted by 911Boss: You don't have to. I believe Apple TV+ is also available for a number of other streaming devices, incl. Roku, Fire TV, and some smart TVs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Clarification(s)

1. I don't stream to my computer (any more...) I stream to my Vizio Smart TV.

2. Downloading the AppleTV app direct to the TV doesn't appear to be an option.

3. I was led to believe that I could "redeem" the offer via my PC and the app would be automatically enabled on my TV. The offer screen with the code displayed had to be up on the TV while I went through the PC authorization process.

4. I have no issue with Apple's hardware, millions of people use and love them. They seem to be especially popular with graphic designers.

5. I object vehemently to their strong-arm marketing tactics and I'll wait for the movie to come out on DVD before I'll give one bent nickel to those pirates.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clarification(s)

Vizio TVs apparently use "Smart Cast" for an OS. This is apparently Google's Google Cast renamed?

I wish Google would pick a frackin' streaming platform and stick with it. Lessee, now we have Chrome Cast, Smart Cast/Google Cast, and Android TV (which I believe they'll be re-branding Google TV).

No wonder people are confused.

quote:

That would suggest Apple TV+ isn't available for Smart Cast.

quote:
3. I was led to believe that I could "redeem" the offer via my PC and the app would be automatically enabled on my TV.

Not certain how an app that's not available could be enabled.

quote:
5. I object vehemently to their strong-arm marketing tactics ...

Given that ATV+ is available on multiple streaming devices, including many hardware devices that compete directly with Apple's hardware devices, I'm not certain where are the strong-arm marketing tactics.

It's kind of sounding to me like them offering you the option on a TV with an unsupported OS is the problem? Kind of like how I keep getting told Amazon Prime Video is allegedly available for our Android TV devices, but it's not?

Hmmm...

Apple TV Arrives on Vizio SmartCast TVs

Is your Vizio TV's firmware up-to-date?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
5. I object vehemently to their strong-arm marketing tactics and I'll wait for the movie to come out on DVD before I'll give one bent nickel to those pirates.

How is offering a free peak at their services and including a prime movie they made strong arm....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Paul, Greyhound will be worth the wait. I've already watched it twice, it's a good flick and caught a lot of detail I missed the first time around.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

But you still have to buy a product from a multi-billion mega corp, whether it be a computer, TV, or streaming device.

quote:

quote:

Didn't you just write that you could with Apple TV+, if you had an Apple account?

Yes, but qualified with ” I’m surprised Apple doesn’t do better in this regard

quote:
Clarification(s)

3. I was led to believe that I could "redeem" the offer via my PC and the app would be automatically enabled on my TV. The offer screen with the code displayed had to be up on the TV while I went through the PC authorization process.

4. I have no issue with Apple's hardware, millions of people use and love them. They seem to be especially popular with graphic designers.

RE #1/2 - Sounds like the issue is more waitress Vizio than with Apple. Hard to blame Apple for Vizio hardware capabilities/limitations.

RE #3 - Did the offer say it worked with all Smart or Web enabled TVs? How were you led to believe that or was it, more accurately, an assumption?

RE #5 - Agree with HRK - hardly “Strong arm” tactic. I’ll even go one further, part of why things become more cumbersome/complicated is because of actual “pirates” who steal and distribute content. Have to lock things down tighter and tighter to keep that in check.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

How is offering a free peak at their services and including a prime movie they made strong arm....

Because it's so difficult to install iTunes for the 30 days you want to take advantage of the free offer I guess.... Confused

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
911Boss said:RE #3 - Did the offer say it worked with all Smart or Web enabled TVs? How were you led to believe that or was it, more accurately, an assumption?

RE #5 - Agree with HRK - hardly “Strong arm” tactic. I’ll even go one further, part of why things become more cumbersome/complicated is because of actual “pirates” who steal and distribute content. Have to lock things down tighter and tighter to keep that in check.

The pop-up was ON the TV. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. Why I had to go to my computer to enable an app on my TV is a complete mystery to me.

"Strong Arm" was perhaps a bit of an overstatement. "Bait and Switch" would be a better description. Yup, I could download iTunes just to accommodate this one situation then delete everything once I've seen the movie.

Some years back the State of Maine in it's wisdom decided to buy every 8th grader in the state a laptop for school use. At that time, I was the IT Guy for the local school system - High school and 4 grade schools. The decision was made to go with Apple for this project. Virtually over night, I was responsible for the upkeep of a couple of hundred Apple laptops. Apple insisted that any and all problems be resolved by sending the laptop back to them. It was a logistic nightmare and their absolute refusal to provide any technical training, diagnostic software or spare parts to the local techs put them at the very top of my shit list.

Illogical perhaps, but once an outfit pisses me off, I rarely ever voluntarily do business with them again.

For those of you that use and enjoy Apple products - Great, I'm glad you're happy.

I don't, I won't and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Because it's so difficult to install iTunes for the 30 days you want to take advantage of the free offer I guess.... Confused

I wonder why Apple is requiring that, though? Just to get an Apple TV+ account?

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

I wonder why Apple is requiring that, though? Just to get an Apple TV+ account?

They aren’t...

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your frustration...
The movie would not be available to anyone to watch yet if Apple hadn't bought it from Sony after they canceled its release. Apple paid 70 MILLION for it. They do need to recoup their money.

It is a great movie, worth the wait... I did the free sign up just to watch it but I'm all Apple here.

Do you know any Apple fans that might host a watch party? Cool I would for you if you were near by!

Bet it's on a bit torrent Big Grin

Only two brands of TVs natively support Apple TV, LG and Samsung IIRC, all others require third party hardware.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Only two brands of TVs natively support Apple TV, LG and Samsung IIRC, all others require third party hardware.

Vizio: Enjoy 3 Months Free1 of Apple TV+

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Vizio: Enjoy 3 Months Free1 of Apple TV+

Great! So it should work on a 2016 and newer Vizio with smart cast as well.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post