SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting change in the drive through lane
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting change in the drive through lane Login/Join 
posted
Yes this is a petty rant. As issues go, this is pretty inconsequential. But it still bugs me. Why does the person at the cash register put a pile of change on top of the bills, then hand the whole mess to you all at once. Of course the coins are spread out all over the bills, and you have to do a balancing act to try to get at least a few of the coins inside your vehicle before they spill all over. I understand the register person wants to move the line along quickly, but if they can't afford the time to hand you the coins and the bills separately, put the coins in your hand first then the bills. This gives you a chance to wrap your fingers around both without doing the balancing act.

I have worked as a janitor, collected trash on a trash truck, stocked shelves, worked as a painter etc in high school and college, but never worked a cash register. Am I missing something?

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
No one ever listens to Leo Getz.

The Drive Thru is the closest thing to sex for some people.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
No one ever listens to Leo Getz.

When it comes to your change, you won't be miles away.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Locally, they put your change in a cup, and hand you the cup.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’ll piggyback on this rant.

Why, for the love of God, would you put someone on the cash register with zero math skills? Completely unable to count back change properly (which I don’t even expect nowadays).

I’m at the local McDonalds and the order came to $8.92. I give the girl $10.95 ($10 bill three quarters and two dimes) so I would get two paper bills back, and three cents to the charity box below the window.

She was gobsmacked. She had no idea what to do. First she tried to give me back the change and just keep the $10. I explained that I should get $2.03 back.
She called a co-worker over. She was telling the coworker “there’s just the 5, 10, and 20 buttons.) The coworker and her didn’t know you could type 10.95 and hit the cash button, which they didn’t do. She just hit “cash”, and gave me back $4.03. I explained that she gave me back too much, and she didn’t want to take the $2 back because she was afraid her till would be over.

I promised her that my math was correct and she just needs to take the $2.

What’s going on in schools now? I learned this shit in the first grade, and understood currency enough to know what I had, and how to not overpay when buying candies from the gas station.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
At least you get change. Quite a few fast fooders locally ,bought into the "Coin SHORTAGE" bullshit and required debit/credit or exact change.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
If you really want to have “fun” with the publik-skule edumacated cashiers, pay with $2 bills, $1 coins, and 50¢ pieces. “Gobsmacked” doesn’t even come close to the reactions that you’ll get. Big Grin

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And I thought the OP might have been behind me when, while waiting for my food, I open up the door and pick up the change in the ground. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We're talking about return change after payment, am I right?

I have a money clip style wallet, cash-a-mundo is organized under the spring clip, drives me nuts when they give you cash, receipt and change together, or change on top of cash, I mean it really makes putting money back in the wallet a PIA..

Just lay the coins in my hand, then the green, stick the receipt in the bag, then it's cash in the wallet, coins in the pocket, simple, easy peasy, then again, 1st world problem.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When they hand me money back and do not count it back to me,
I take the time to show them how it's done,
Then let them know that when they count it back to the customer,

The customer is sure that all is well..

So in the long run, they are saving time by counting the change back to the customer.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
If you really want to have “fun” with the publik-skule edumacated cashiers, pay with $2 bills, $1 coins, and 50¢ pieces. “Gobsmacked” doesn’t even come close to the reactions that you’ll get. Big Grin

For the 1$ coins, be sure to use one Ike, one Susan B Anthony, and one Sacagawea.

To quote the cashier in Arkansas back in the 70's when Dad gave her the American Express travelers check, "What is that there thing?"

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
They push buttons and the total comes up (it’s magic!)
Push more buttons, based on the cash handed over, and you get change. The change is lists as bills, then change. Hence, the cashier takes the bills, then puts the change on top.

Years ago, we counted change up to a dollar, then added bills. Pay out was change in the hand and bills on top.

I interview at McDonalds. One take away was that I had to have “Older employees” ready to take over when the computers went down. They were the only ones that knew how to make change.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE
What’s going on in schools now? I learned this shit in the first grade, and understood currency enough to know what I had, and how to not overpay when buying candies from the gas station.[/QUOTE]

What going on in schools today is primarily indoctrination with perhaps 3% of the time being actual education. In addition today students dont get grades, what they get are participation awards so that every one of them can feel like a winner. Lord help us when today's children start designing aircraft.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Years ago, we counted change up to a dollar, then added bills. Pay out was change in the hand and bills on top.

That's it. Not rocket science. This would solve the problem. Drives me crazy that they put the change on top of the bills.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let the bill be 8.05 and give them $10. Then after they push their computer buttons give them a nickel and watch their head explode.

I very rarely carry cash just because it’s a hassle. People are too stupid to count change and the process seems slower than just using a card.. unless you happen to stop a gas station that wants to ask you 45 questions to use a card.

Debit or credit?
Do you want a car wash?
Is this amount correct?
Enter pin

Luckily we have QuikTrip here and they don’t ask for anything it’s enter card it authorizes and you leave.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post