SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Water Well Failure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Well Failure Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted
We purchased this house last year. When we moved in I shocked the well as the house had sat vacant for a while and there were low levels of Coliform in it.
That loosened a lot of rust scale and killed the jet pump and that was replaced without too much issue. Had the well company back out to inspect the well and they said that while it was older, should be good for around 5 years at a minimum.

Fast forward 10 months to this past weekend, and we notice the well pump run time is exceedingly longer and longer. Call and left a message with the well company. Then this morning, the well pump would not reach cutoff pressure, settling in at 45 PSI instead of the 50 PSI limit.

Call to the well company, and after answering some questions, he's assuming either:
1) The sand point has failed and the well is not producing
2) The (less than one year old) jet pump is failing
3) The down pipe or pitless adapter are leaking allowing air into the line and reducing pressure.

Worse case is the point failing, as that's 2-2.5k to replace the system.

Next would be the pump, but that should be under warentee (if not, thats another 1.5k)

Lastly is the down pipe but as he didn't install this well (unsure who did or when) he can't even quote it over the phone (But why do I feel he'll try to replace the whole point vs. attempting repairs).

Now, I did pull the cover and verified water is at 17 ft below ground level, and while running the pump I could not see any movement in the water surface or hear any noticeable sounds like air being pulled in.

But now I wait for the call back to see when I can get in his schedule, and brace myself for the inevitable 20 questions from the wife on how to conserve the water we do have for the night. Mad

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
shocked the well

?

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
shocked the well

?

It's like the monkey, only deeper. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
shocked the well

?

Typically a Chlorine charge to kill bacteria in the water system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJ6FxK6cwk

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
At least you have a shallow well. Around here many are 200+ feet deep.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
shocked the well

?

Adding chlorine to the well to kill any bacteria and sterilize the pipes. Also will loosen any rust buildup.

quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
At least you have a shallow well. Around here many are 200+ feet deep.

I have 3 dug wells and one point on my property, the neighbor across the street has a 180' drilled well, his next door neighbor has a 45' driven well, and the guy nearest to me on my side has a 220' drilled well.
The ground is mostly sand with a high water table, but there are areas that need to be drilled. Totally hit or miss...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Could be just the check valve needs to be replaced also called a foot valve.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SSgt USMC/Vet,

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've also heard from someone else that the venturi could be plugged or restricted, but I'm trying to resist the urge to tear open a warrantied pump...

I guess I'm venting because while all this is going on, I need to be at a site 180 miles from here by 5am tomorrow, so no wake up shower for me. The timing of this really sucks!

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
It's only 17 feet?
How deep is the well?
50 feet is a do it yourself job!
Mine is 200 and I had to hire a pull truck to get mine up to replace the pump.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
The point is 25 feet deep (I believe). My biggest issue is time, I just don't have it.
And to be honest, I've helped maintain a well, but never installed/ started one by myself. I'd be willing to give it a go if it was just for irrigation, but the water supply to the house? I'll leave that to the professionals (this time)

Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Before you pull the check valve make sure you have water on hand to fill the line so you can prime the pump, also I have pulled mine in NOVA on a few occasions and it was 70 ft. deep with no problem.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When mine did that, it was the pressure tank bladder. I was losing prime.

I first thought it was my well going dry as it was dug in 1972. But when I measured the depth to the water from the top of the well casing, I actually have a higher water table than when first dug.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aquabird:
When mine did that, it was the pressure tank bladder. I was losing prime.

Check pressure tank

Posts: 1541 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run, run fast if you see a little girl climbing out of the well.

Sorry, can't help it. Every time I hear water well. I hate that movie. Eek Eek Eek

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It's a newish pressure tank (2015) with 28psi of air when empty. The residual line pressure hasn't dropped, so I don't think it's losing/ lost prime.

Thank you for all the suggestions though... I'm banking it for possible future situations as well

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Our well is some 340 feet deep. I had to pull the pump twice. Once it was burned out, the second time it was just clogged with mud. I shortened the supply line, raising the pump about 30 feet and our problems ceased. The pump was just too close to the bottom of the well, dirt/mud settling in to the point that it covered the intake of the pump. It seems some wells just have a tendency to slowly fill with mud from the side walls.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine drinking from a well that shallow. Seems like it would always be under influence from surface water and therefore liable to contamination from runoff, septic, etc.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
We just replaced the pump for one of our community water wells which is on my property. 720 feet. We have a couple deeper ones, ~950 feet. I haven't seen the bill yet (I am the Treasurer).

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, not bad price at all. Around here it would be 25K to install a new well.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
A new well it is... in about 3 to 4 weeks! All of the drillers are booked out right now. We're in extended drought conditions, aged just about ever shallow well is failing, and numerous deep wells are underperforming as well.
They brought over water totes to get us by though...

Now waiting for the big unknown, will it be 150 feet, 300 feet, or 500+? Trying not to dwell on the unknown right now.