SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Social Justice Warriors seeking out LEOs on social media - Philly is firing some officers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Social Justice Warriors seeking out LEOs on social media - Philly is firing some officers Login/Join 
Picture of SIGguy229
posted
https://defensemaven.io/blueli...oZz0pdEC6KpB0QNUISw/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/...tabase-20190718.html

Philadelphia, PA – The Philadelphia Police Department (PPD) announced Thursday that it was firing 13 police officers who posted offensive comments on Facebook.

<break>

I wonder if they infiltrated LEO forums...these SJWs do nothing but stir up the ignorant

Thoughts?

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The PPD chief is just a typical coward bureaucrat.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I agree 12131, but in this environment, without clear social media policies at the department level, without those policies being tested in courts to weigh privacy and free speech rights against the policy, and without unions fully understanding how to protect their officers from actions under these policies, it's probably prudent for officers to either shut up or say what they think over beer rather than on the internet.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
If I saw half of what the average Philly cop saw, I'd probably be calling for extermination of half the city.

I'm sure they were blowing off steam that gets built up from dealing with the cockroaches all day and night.

However, of course it was stupid to post these things online, no matter how funny or true they may be.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's probably prudent for officers to either shut up or say what they think over beer rather than on the internet.
Yup, what Artie said. Once it's out there on the internet, it's there forever. No way to un-post it. You can't squeeze the toothpaste back into the tube.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
If I saw half of what the average Philly cop saw, I'd probably be calling for extermination of half the city.

I'm sure they were blowing off steam that gets built up from dealing with the cockroaches all day and night.

However, of course it was stupid to post these things online, no matter how funny or true they may be.

In the late 60's, early 70's, my cousin was married to a Philly LEO. At the time, and not knowing him very well, I thought that the guy was the meanest, most bigoted, cynical SOB on the planet. Of course, at the time, I was young and naïve and knew very little of what he had to deal with on a day-to-day basis. As I grew up and got more educated, I realized that he was reflecting the nature of the beasts that he dealt with. So, I understand how one can rant and blow off steam. Unfortunately, in these times, your words can come back to haunt you in hard copy rather than just in someone's memory.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The PPD chief is just a typical coward bureaucrat.

You mean the PPD Commissioner?

And ironically he's a black man who is totally under the thumb of these two clowns: Mayor McDrunk Jim Kenney and DA "Let Em Go" Larry Krasner:

I clearly recall last year or so, Commissioner Ross sounded REALLY fed up and made a statement about cracking down on crime in Philly that appeared to go against his boss the Mayor and by the next day he was on camera groveling and claiming he "misspoke"

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Anybody know what was actually said? I haven’t seen any quotes, and I think that may be important to know before taking sides. Maybe it’s BS, and maybe not.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Isn't Philidelphia like most other large U.S. cities: A shithole? Not far from the likes of the average third-world shithole?

Maybe these cops will now be motivated to find jobs in non-shithole cities?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Anybody know what was actually said? I haven’t seen any quotes, and I think that may be important to know before taking sides. Maybe it’s BS, and maybe not.

I saw a bunch of it. Just dumb memes and venting, nothing worse than you'd see here.

This is all about satisfying the rabid BLM/Antifa/SJW/Anti Police crowd in Philly. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I guess the cats out of the bag after the "racist" and sexually explicit posts by Border Patrol agents regarding Macarena hey Macarena.

Leftists realize they can get LE into trouble by outing their non PC facebook posts.

https://theintercept.com/2019/...trol-facebook-group/

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I agree 12131, but in this environment, without clear social media policies at the department level, without those policies being tested in courts to weigh privacy and free speech rights against the policy, and without unions fully understanding how to protect their officers from actions under these policies, it's probably prudent for officers to either shut up or say what they think over beer rather than on the internet.

These are not new issues. The US Supreme Court has addressed limits of public employees’ free speech years ago. See Pickering and Connick. If the issues are a matter of public concern, then the speech is protected. Otherwise, the speech is fair game for and officers can be disciplined for it.

Posts: 868 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I got burnt from some of my posts here a few years ago. Had a captain that had it out for me stumble upon some stuff.

Luckily I had a deputy chief that addressed the issue effectively and set my ass straight without deep-sixing my career.

Para also looked out for me.

Learned a lesson...social media, even when you are posting under a pseudonym, is not safe at all. Obviously things like Facebook, etc...but I was taken aback when I got tracked to here. And I wasn't posting anything crazy--just blowing off enough steam to get myself in a jam.

I still blow a little steam off now and then, but am much more cautious, and will not post certain stuff, or even reply in some threads due to that experience.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's probably prudent for officers to either shut up or say what they think over beer rather than on the internet.

Even that is dangerous ... Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post