SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Local Costco Discontinues Cherries
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local Costco Discontinues Cherries Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I dropped my Costco membership years ago, because we just were not buying enough to offset the rising cost of membership. Now I get Kirkland brand stuff from Amazon. The sellers are basically Costco "shoppers and resellers". Yes, the price is a bit higher than at Costco. You are paying them to shop for you. But the price on most products via Amazon is still much cheaper than competing store brands.

There's a Costco location just a few minutes from my house. I maintain our membership for a few reasons. Gas prices there are always the lowest in the area. They have some products (Kirkland Signature brand) that are not available anywhere else. Customer service, warranties, etc. are the best of any walk-in store that I have found.

Our family membership is $60.00 / year. Cost savings on some purchases have more than repaid that. Hearing aids, eyeglasses, etc. are great quality and the price can't be beat. We get way more than our money's worth.

If the store location were not as convenient as it is, it might be a very different story.

Yes, convenience was part of it (60 miles to the nearest store), but basically we weren't spending enough that the discount we got offset the price of membership.

BTW, the Kirkland stuff I mentioned, above, that I get at Amazon, is Kirkland Signature. You're just paying a Costco shopper a "fee" to shop for you and sell it to you.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well, that's the pits.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
What's worse than Costco dropping a favorite item (has happened to me numerous times over the years) is Trader Joe's dropping a favorite item. I swear, there's nothing at Trader Joe's I'm interested in anymore...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when the neighbor lady couldn't get the Kirkland chocolate chips any more ,
she did a little bit of checking with half a dozen of her friends,

turns out that one quilting buddy was on her way back to the mid west from AZ,

thte lady stopped and picked her up four bags of the stuff, in KS

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
when the neighbor lady couldn't get the Kirkland chocolate chips any more ,
she did a little bit of checking with half a dozen of her friends,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good idea. We did the same in my youth to procure fireworks in the Land of Lincoln where they were prohibited.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Today when we were in Costco, my wife walked down an aisle. She came back empty handed and I asked what was she looking for? Chick Pea chips. Said when she goes to Georgia, they have them at the Costco there.

I'll trade you chick peas for the Kirkland Canadian Whiskey!

Not sure if Costco in your area sells liquor. They do not in GA. But when I go to FL or IL to visit in-laws I always bring a couple bottles back.

Greenville, SC has a great selection. They had about 40 cases of Canadian when I was there last.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

Greenville, SC has a great selection. They had about 40 cases of Canadian when I was there last.
Did they have Kirkland Signature Dried Montmorency Cherries?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are available from Amazon. I don't know what the in-store price is, and this is most certainly higher, but probably beats driving around a lot to find them.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

They are available from Amazon. I don't know what the in-store price is
Costco price: $7.99 / 20 oz. (1.25 lbs) bag. No tax (food item), no shipping cost. Not sure, but I'll bet that Amazon would charge sales tax; they do on almost everything that I buy from them.

Amazon opportunists are asking for neighborhood of double, some asking for more than double.

With the exception of a few days a month when I have appointments, my work hours are very flexible, while my wife has hard-coded office hours to see her patients. So, I am almost always the breakfast preparer. Every morning starts with a small plate containing fresh orange, some nuts, and a handful of dried cherries. We miss them when we don't have them. Aldi, Walmart, Publix, all have dried cherries. None of them are anywhere near the quality of the Kirkland Signature ones.

Costco says that they dropped the product due to low demand. That puzzles me, as my observation was that these moved a lot faster than the dried blueberries and dried cranberries that were on the same aisle, and are still being sold.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'll stop by the local one this afternoon.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't make a special trip on my account. On the other hand, if you're going to karma some booze . . . Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't make a special trip on my account. On the other hand, if you're going to karma some booze . . . Wink

No trouble. No booze today (great state of NC) but will be in SC on Monday, so booze will be had then! SC Costco can sell anything - NC Costco is limited to ABV under 18%.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have you asked them to check the other Costcos in the metro area?

We had the same problem with Edamames they came in a box of 20 small packages, sold like hotcakes and then one day, poof gone.

It was finally replaced a few months later, now in a large bag with smaller microwaveable bags portioned inside.

It looks like they may be changing suppliers, you can order directly from Costco online but its not Kirkland Brand.

https://www.costco.com/Cherry-...oduct.100407876.html

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Have you asked them to check the other Costcos in the metro area?

We had the same problem with Edamames they came in a box of 20 small packages, sold like hotcakes and then one day, poof gone.

It was finally replaced a few months later, now in a large bag with smaller microwaveable bags portioned inside.

It looks like they may be changing suppliers, you can order directly from Costco online but its not Kirkland Brand.

https://www.costco.com/Cherry-...oduct.100407876.html
Yeah, I saw those. Reviews are not great, for example, "We buy the Kirkland brand dried cherries as my husband has gout and cherries are known to prevent flare-ups of gout. The local Costco was out, so, I ordered the Cherry Bay Orchards online. They were not as good tasting as the Kirkland brand, and the bags, albeit more expensive, were about half the size of the Kirkland cherries. Hope that we will find the Kirkland brand back in the warehouse soon."

In addition to the weak reviews, these are four times the price (per ounce) as the discontinued Kirkland Signature brand.

If I'm going to buy a product that's not as good, might as well get it at Aldi, where the cost is not terrible.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
No gots v-tail. As a matter of fact, no dried cherries at all!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I whined about it, a while ago, at the customer service counter. I just received an email from Costco this past week, telling me that the product had been discontinued. They cited weak sales as the reason. As I stated above, my observation was that the cherries moved a lot more briskly than some of the other dried fruit on the same aisle.

I'll bet that there are other factors in play, and I'm not getting the whole story from them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
a new costco opens up near here on the 19th ,
will check there

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yeah, I whined about it, a while ago, at the customer service counter. I just received an email from Costco this past week, telling me that the product had been discontinued. They cited weak sales as the reason. As I stated above, my observation was that the cherries moved a lot more briskly than some of the other dried fruit on the same aisle.

I'll bet that there are other factors in play, and I'm not getting the whole story from them.

I think that some small-medium sized companies give or agree with Costco to a contract for 6 months, 12 months etc. but there isn't a whole lot of profitability in the contract, but the business needs guaranteed business in order to grow, then once they do, they make more profit elsewhere and don't renew with Costco or raise the price to stay profitable and Costco won't agree.

Sahale nuts had an AWESOME nut and dried fruit mix that Costco sold. Then it disappeared.....a few months later a Tropical fruit and nut mix popped up, 6 months later that has disappeared.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I love those cherries. We still have them at my local Costco. Maybe I should be a cherry dealer for FL, lol.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Durham has them on order eta 10/24, Miami lakes has 200 on hand, W Tampa has them on order eta 10/23. Strange that not many south east warehouses carry it, lots of them in the north west carry them.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post