SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Local Costco Discontinues Cherries
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local Costco Discontinues Cherries Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Durham has them on order eta 10/24, Miami lakes has 200 on hand, W Tampa has them on order eta 10/23.
How did you find that out? Where would I look to see whether there are any inbound to the Altamonte Springs FL location?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strange that not many south east warehouses carry it, lots of them in the north west carry them.

Not really. The vast majority of cherries are grown in the PNW.

V-Tail, if you need them I'd be happy to get and ship you some. Got lots of them here where I am.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

V-Tail, if you need them I'd be happy to get and ship you some. Got lots of them here where I am.
Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it, but let's wait to see whether Voshterkoff can point me at information re shipments to my local store. It appears that there are some inbound to other Florida stores, ETA about one week.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I looked up area inventory for the southeast, I work for them up here. Those were the closest warehouses to your posted location that had any on hand or on order. I think one of them was an hour away, Miami warehouses have them. I can check again on Saturday, but for now it's my weekend.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
No problem. I know that Costco likes to rotate product so my philosophy is get it while they have it. That said, they've had the cherries all month (at least) so a week won't (probably) make a difference.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
We just got two pallets in this morning, if you want a flat-rate box of them.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for the offer, I think I'll sit on it for a few days and see if Altamonte Springs (zip code 32714) is scheduled to receive any -- probably yes, if other stores in Florida will be receiving them.

If we find out that the local store is not expecting them, I will take you up on your offer.

I picked up a couple small packages of a similar product at Aldi. Not the same quality, not as cost effective, but better than nothing, as a temporary fix.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Thank you for the offer, I think I'll sit on it for a few days and see if Altamonte Springs (zip code 32714) is scheduled to receive any -- probably yes, if other stores in Florida will be receiving them.

If we find out that the local store is not expecting them, I will take you up on your offer.

I picked up a couple small packages of a similar product at Aldi. Not the same quality, not as cost effective, but better than nothing, as a temporary fix.

Hey, you and the other sigforum member that's coming to visit you in Orlando could fly the vtail down to Miami, load up on Cherries from the Costco there, then Fly down to Key West for a Cheeseburger.....and have the $1500 Cheeseburger in paradise and $1000 cherries...… He really wanted to go Key West in one day, and you really want the cherries hehehehehe Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

FYI this is a joke.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at it now, the altamore springs warehouse has them under new item status. It's not inactive or deleted, however it is not on order, and there is no ETA. The Florida dry depot has 5 pallets en route, not enough to cover the warehouses that do have it on order. I wouldn't bet on your location getting any soon.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I just want them to get the giant bags of Boom-Chicka-Pop back.

Dammit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of our local Costco have them in stock.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in CostCo this evening and thought I would see if they had them in stock.

They had a pallet so I purchased a bag to try.

We opened them on the way home and they are delicious.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Costco is weird
in an attempt to control quality , it's not uncommon for them to cut a deal with the farmers
prior to planting,
the farmers agree to only sell to costco
and when all is said and done, the produce is usually better than a lot of other places.

BUT

sometimes that bites them in the ass.

Imagine paying for stuff that has not even been planted yet, well in advance .

then when it finally gets in to the store, it could sell like crazy , or it could just sit there and do nothing.

If Costco does this, they are not the only ones. This is how it works many times in the farming industry. A friend of mine is a farmer in the winter garden area of Texas (Uvalde, Hondo, Sabinal, etc.) He has done this with such companies as Libby's, Birdseye, etc.

That is a common practice.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I made a shopping trip to Costco today. Lo and behold, they are back in stock! Six months after Voshterkoff was good enough to ship me a pallet (well, not really a pallet, but a large box of them).

Slight change in the product. These new ones, as well as the ones that Voshterkoff shipped to me, are labeled "Organic." The original product, that I had been buying for years, did not have that label. Other than that, the package looks identical, price is up by half a buck.

Our normal breakfast at home starts with a small plate of fresh oranges (this is Florida, after all), and a handful of nuts and these dried cherries. Sometimes a few figs or dates or other fruit, if we happen to have any.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
My guess is they're seasonal and once this years crop is gone, they're gone till the following year.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We had been buying them every trip to Costco, year round, for many years. At least a decade, probably longer. Every month, every season.

Then, six months ago, they disappeared. I asked at the customer service desk and was told that the product was discontinued. Not "out of season," but discontinued.

Now, an almost identical product has reappeared. The only difference that I can see in the packaging is the addition of "organic" to the labeling.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened last year to the Eddsyermama (edamame)

One day it’s there then it’s Gone poof!

Now it’s back different packaging

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Found these at Sam's Club today: Dried Cherries

Free shipping if you are plus member.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Found these at Sam's Club today: Dried Cherries

Free shipping if you are plus member.
Voshterkoff shipped me a large supply.

Then, shortly after I received them, they re-appeared in Costco after a multi-month absence.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
is your Costco shifting shit around , all over the store from one day to the next?

between that and them discontinuing crap we like ,
we a on the verge of being discontent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post