SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spectrum Service interruptions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spectrum Service interruptions Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
We have Spectrum service for our internet at home.

When there is a service interruption, Spectrum sends notifications that they are aware of it, they are working on it, and the expected time that they will be back in service (they almost always beat these estimates).

All of that is great. One minor problem -- these notifications are sent via the internet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Cox Communications does the exact same thing.

I installed a Cox app on my cell phone and whether the internet is up or not I get the notification.

They always say it'll take an hour or two longer than it does though, good marketing ploy.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Spectrum allows you to select your notification method in your account settings.

E-mail, text message, or a recorded message phone call.
All should work on any smart phone if you still have cell service while your internet is out.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When you try to log on and its not available, call them an professionally and politely demand the day refunded. (Then check your bill to ensure it happened)

In my neighborhood that was happening and through the Nextdoor app, I recommended everyone do the same. Next time service was hit, enough people called that resulted in service disruptions only happening late at night now (unless somebody eff'ed up - like hitting a big metal box with their car)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Their nodes are getting hit so hard via work from home, school from home, streaming, video games, that their nodes are going down and need “adjusting.” Once this bullshit is over expect price increases. There is no free lunch.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
My retail store runs on Spectrum.... cash registers, credit card machines and internet.

It was down most of the day today. We can’t ring up a sale without it.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Bad situation, Jeff. Do credit card processing outfits still provide the old-fashioned paper slip thingys, where you put the card and a two or three part paper form in the machine, take an imprint of the card, and fill the form by hand?

Can the registers be operated as stand-alone devices, like an old-fashioned cash register?

Or, are you totally dead in the water?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Kona Hawaii went dead on the net a number of years ago and none of the stores or restaurants could do any debit card or CC business for half a day.

A lot of people got very worried about how they were going to eat.

It's why I carry a fairly large amount of cash when I travel.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Bad situation, Jeff. Do credit card processing outfits still provide the old-fashioned paper slip thingys, where you put the card and a two or three part paper form in the machine, take an imprint of the card, and fill the form by hand?

Can the registers be operated as stand-alone devices, like an old-fashioned cash register?

Or, are you totally dead in the water?

We have an app we can use on our iPhones and iPads to run credit cards but when service returns we have to manually adjust inventory. It’s a pain.

We do have an old school credit card slider as a backup.

The registers work but don’t communicate with our POS system when Spectrum is down.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ah, so it sounds like you are able to continue to do business even though your workload with respect to sales has more than doubled and even with careful record keeping for sales, updating inventory is error-prone.

I don't know anything about your system, I'm retired from that stuff now, but in a former life I worked for a consulting company that did stuff like this.

I have to assume that you have considered a system that does all of the inventory adjustment in-house, without depending on an internet connection, and found some reason to go with the internet dependency.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים