SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The inability to follow simple logic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The inability to follow simple logic Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
My wife is all excited about the "Virus Payment" or whatever you want to call it.

I pointed out that:

A) We don't need it, our income hasn't been affected and won't be.

B) Dispensing it willy-nilly rather than based on actual need is a huge waste of money, and therefore:

C) For the people that truly need it, it will be a drop in the bucket.

Her response: "Well, if they're going to hand it out, we might as well get ours." Pointing out that that is exactly the sort of thinking that leads to B) and C) was a waste of breath.

Example 2: I'm going in to town tomorrow to pick up some stuff we actually need, specifically a loaf of bread and some milk.

"As long as you're there, you might as well see if you can pick up some paper towels and TP."

"There's at least a 2 month supply of both in the basement pantry Dear."

"Well get some anyway if there is any."

Pointing out that that's just the sort of thinking that leads to empty shelves was another waste of time.

Jesus wept.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you married a FREE SHIT acolyte.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That's the frustrating part: Normally she's as much of a Gun Packing Heartless Republican Conservative as I am.

The weather has been too damned cold and wet to get our usual walks in and we're both getting a little shack-whacky. I know better than to pursue this.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHPaul, some people you just can't reason with and it's a waste of breath. It's like trying to speak to my mother about finances. She will ask me what to do regarding some financial decision, and I will give her the best advice and she will, without a doubt, ALWAYS pick the absolute worst financial decision.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
That's the frustrating part: Normally she's as much of a Gun Packing Heartless Republican Conservative as I am.

When things are normal.

Things aren't normal right now and everyone has their own threshold for going into full blown self preservation mode which in the extreme is not so much I just want free shit as it is getting mine before it's gone.

This is along the lines of the Milgram Experiments and the psychology behind how normal people participated in The Holocaust.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see how they dispense this, IF they eventually do.

Like you, PHPaul, I don't need the money and I don't want it.

The only thing I can come up with is using the 2018 tax rolls and basing it on AGI.

I don't even want to think of the fraud that will come from this, and you know there will be fraud, waste and abuse.

J.G. Wentworth will probably come up with a new song....

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you know two or three elderly people that may need to go for t.p. and such, but should not take the chance. I am going in to the big city in Iowa on Tuesday, and have requests from two people , here in tiny town, for a few things that they are low on.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Paul. We have no need for the money either and I told my wife that I'm going to use it to help someone that does. She agrees and that is good because I didn't want to have an argument over it. I'm not holding my breath though as the democrats are playing their 'hate Trump' game with the legislation.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
... you know there will be fraud, waste and abuse.

I have no doubt people are scheming right now how to rip this program off for big $$.

Another thing about this program is that people seem to think this money is going to appear out of thin air. In order for the government to give out money, first they have to take it away from someone else.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Another thing about this program is that people seem to think this money is going to appear out of thin air. In order for the government to give out money, first they have to take it away from someone else.

Exactly this ... it's not free money. It's not government money. It is TAXPAYER money.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone needs to go for a motorcycle ride. You could probably use one too. Bundle up and get on a bike!

Rides do wonders to clear crap out of a brain. I got a ride in yesterday, before today's snow.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
Sounds like someone needs to go for a motorcycle ride. You could probably use one too. Bundle up and get on a bike!

Rides do wonders to clear crap out of a brain. I got a ride in yesterday, before today's snow.

It's serviced, inspected, insured and ready to go. It was 17° this morning. Not gonna happen for a while yet...

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
PH,
We have had 7.5 inches of rain in a week.

Ain't no way I am taking my Ducati out there in that mess. And the potholes that formed. It would kill my Pirellis.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

It was 17° this morning.
90 here today. For real, yo. Blue skies. I can't remember the last time we saw rain.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no doubt people are scheming right now how to rip this program off for big $$.

You are talking about the people writing and passing the bill........ right?

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

You are talking about the people writing and passing the bill........ right?

If he's not, he should be. You can bet they're packing more pork than every slaughterhouse in the Lower 48 combined.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering what gun I want for $1200...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

I'm wondering what gun I want for $1200..
That's easy. How about a DAO revolver, internal hammer, .357 Magnum, 3" or 4" barrel?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the long run, the taxpayer always gets the bill, but right now I think they are just going to fire up the printing presses at the mint.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

I'm wondering what gun I want for $1200..
That's easy. How about a DAO revolver, internal hammer, .357 Magnum, 3" or 4" barrel?

Hell, those things are a dime-a-dozen...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post