SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shipping rates in general (UPS IN PARTICULAR)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping rates in general (UPS IN PARTICULAR) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Don't blame the shipping companies, blame the seller. They are trying to make money off of shipping at that rate.

This is true to a certain extent, and always has been. But the common carriers (UPS and FedEx) made a big change in policy last year. Now, all packages (used to be only those over 3 cu. ft.) ship using dimension weight. The size of the box determines the weight, not the actual weight (unless it happens to be more than the dim weight). I recently shipped an air rifle to WV, inside a cheap Plano hard case and that inside a box. It weighed 18 pounds, but it shipped as 43 pounds, because of the size of the box.

I'm well aware, I work in the industry, you'd be shocked at how some sellers mark up shipping.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm well aware, I work in the industry, you'd be shocked at how some sellers mark up shipping.

I am shocked, and always have been (even before dim weight weighed in). I generally have a pretty good idea how much it *should* cost to ship something. And I have always tended to avoid those sellers whenever possible.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
what kills it for me is handling charges for basically nothing
I used to think the same way.

I run a (very) small mom-and-pop business. My eyes got opened really wide the first day that I spent several hours, along with a paid helper, "handling" an order from a customer. Getting stuff ready to ship, packing it, using boxes that I had to buy, padding and other packing materials that I had to buy, weighing everything, preparing shipping labels, all that stuff adds up to a lot of "handling!"

For the Win! The burden rate of the employees labor is greater than the hourly rate if there's benefits, you have to have the space to store the packing materials you bought, the money invested in packing materials doesn't show any return and sits idle, the packing materials have to be purchased in advance. Would you like a label, label printer and tape? We didn't touch order entry and payment processing.

I have a somewhat small business on the side,
fully aware of shipping cost, as far as a seller,

boxes (use mostly free USPS boxes)
tape
packing foam etc
paper for labels
ink or toner
time,
gas to the post office or ups hub in I need to run

most importantly , time,

however that is usually part of your profit, not necessarily a separate charge to the buyer,

I list shipping , usually actual unless it fits in a flat rate box, as a round number, as in I round up to the nearest dollar,
that may make me a nickel, or may make me 95 cents,

that's my handling fee,

exception is stuff on ebay, since the shipping program they have will not add insurance when a customer pays, I will and charge a dollar or 2 handling to cover,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Looking to organize and replace some tools and found a good deal on a decent American made combination wrench(s) online. Put one in the cart, go to checkout to see shipping and it's UPS only for $16 to ship a $6 5/16" combination wrench. Fuck me...
Now for UPS in particular. When I change to the zip code for the next town over, its $11. About 20 miles is gonna cost me $5, when it cost $11 to go from Colorado to Ohio. REALLY.....
I actually USE USPS for most of my shipping for this reason. Takes an extra day or two, but usually costs 1/2 as much.

we are all subsidizing Amazon

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't blame the shipping companies, blame the seller. They are trying to make money off of shipping at that rate.

Not always.
Sometimes it is just ineffective to ship some items.
You just have to shop around to come up with the right item or right combination (minimum order size, etc) to make it work.
Sellers need to make money too.
I never blame someone for trying to make a profit.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post