SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shipping rates in general (UPS IN PARTICULAR)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping rates in general (UPS IN PARTICULAR) Login/Join 
posted
Looking to organize and replace some tools and found a good deal on a decent American made combination wrench(s) online. Put one in the cart, go to checkout to see shipping and it's UPS only for $16 to ship a $6 5/16" combination wrench. Fuck me...
Now for UPS in particular. When I change to the zip code for the next town over, its $11. About 20 miles is gonna cost me $5, when it cost $11 to go from Colorado to Ohio. REALLY.....
I actually USE USPS for most of my shipping for this reason. Takes an extra day or two, but usually costs 1/2 as much.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon Prime

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Prime, but the difference in price between the retailer and Amazon almost gets me even on the shipping again. The difference for a small set actually covers the shipping and leaves me about $3.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't blame the shipping companies, blame the seller. They are trying to make money off of shipping at that rate.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 01, 2017 06:41 PM Hide Post
Amazon Prime

Keep supporting them...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...ches-anti-gun-jihad/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Don't blame the shipping companies, blame the seller. They are trying to make money off of shipping at that rate.

Tell me about it. This morning, a few dozen boxes came in from some gardening retailer with tomato trellises in them. One trellis per box. The boxes were each 4 ft high and 2x3 feet on the sides. There were 40 of them. Forty. The customer is going to shit bricks when he sees it, if he's not expecting it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pisses me off to no end when sellers try to make money on shipping. I was going to order this strap which is basically a 3ft long seatbelt and the seller had a flat rate of $19.99 shipping. F@ off.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me about it. This morning, a few dozen boxes came in from some gardening retailer with tomato trellises in them. One trellis per box. The boxes were each 4 ft high and 2x3 feet on the sides. There were 40 of them. Forty. The customer is going to shit bricks when he sees it, if he's not expecting it.

I am guessing there is an upcharge for large packages. Is this correct??

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting- Remember the thread on Amazon getting a shipping subsidy from the USPS? It's interesting seeing the consumers here talk about shipping costs and how any Amazon subsidy would directly effect competition.

quote:
This Analyst Claims the U.S. Postal Service Is Giving Amazon a Huge Subsidy

http://fortune.com/2017/07/16/...tal-service-subsidy/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I am guessing there is an upcharge for large packages. Is this correct??

No, I'm saying that rather than consolidate and pack multiple trellises in one box to reduce the shipped packages, the shipper is maximizing their profit by spreading it out over the most packages possible.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's not the sellers trying to gouge as some people here seem to think, shipping got REALLY expensive in the past 18 months or so for some strange reason.

Almost as soon as fuel prices seemed to start dropping drastically from the historic highs of 2008-2010, shipping prices shot up! I don't get it.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It's not the sellers trying to gouge as some people here seem to think, shipping got REALLY expensive in the past 18 months or so for some strange reason.

Almost as soon as fuel prices seemed to start dropping drastically from the historic highs of 2008-2010, shipping prices shot up! I don't get it.

I agree. Shipping UPS or FedEx is not cheap. These large retailers must get a huge shipping discount in order to ship things FedEx or UPS and be able to afford it. We try our best to ship USPS because it's the only method of shipping that is reasonably priced.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Midway USA wanted $11 to ship 3 recoil springs...screw them. Red Face stuff like that annoys me to no end.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

The government regulations for adoption of electronic hours of service is coming into effect and is being phased in now, with full mandatory adoption by 12/18/17. Also, emission controls have added $50,000 to the price of new trucks. You guys didn't think all that regulation comes for free, did you?

One of the reasons people become truck drivers is because they like the freedom. It's a cowboy type of lifestyle, out on the road with nobody telling you what to do. It is now so regulated that the driver basically holds the wheel, and regulations and a computer tell him when to eat, piss, crap, buy fuel, etc. This is unappealing to many who have traditionally done it, and U.S. citizens are just quitting, to be replaced by foreign born drivers. This is creating a huge shortage of competent drivers, and trucks sit idle for lack of drivers. This is necessitating wage increases.

All those regulation chickens are coming home to roost. But don't worry, trucks will drive themselves in no time at all. Roll Eyes

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Midway USA wanted $11 to ship 3 recoil springs...screw them. Red Face stuff like that annoys me to no end.

that is about average for a lb or less package shipped thru UPS,

all can get stupid high if your address is far from a hub,

I've shipped rifles via UPS cheaper to farther destinations simply cause it was closer to a air hub or distro hub, vs a town that is closer on the map, but a good ways away from a bigger city,

if someone is charging flat rate shipping at 19.99, they are likely making money on smaller stuff, and losing on bigger, as in it likely is a wash to the company,

what kills it for me is handling charges for basically nothing,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And then there's "FREE...just pay separate shipping and handling."

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
what kills it for me is handling charges for basically nothing
I used to think the same way.

I run a (very) small mom-and-pop business. My eyes got opened really wide the first day that I spent several hours, along with a paid helper, "handling" an order from a customer. Getting stuff ready to ship, packing it, using boxes that I had to buy, padding and other packing materials that I had to buy, weighing everything, preparing shipping labels, all that stuff adds up to a lot of "handling!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
what kills it for me is handling charges for basically nothing
I used to think the same way.

I run a (very) small mom-and-pop business. My eyes got opened really wide the first day that I spent several hours, along with a paid helper, "handling" an order from a customer. Getting stuff ready to ship, packing it, using boxes that I had to buy, padding and other packing materials that I had to buy, weighing everything, preparing shipping labels, all that stuff adds up to a lot of "handling!"

For the Win! The burden rate of the employees labor is greater than the hourly rate if there's benefits, you have to have the space to store the packing materials you bought, the money invested in packing materials doesn't show any return and sits idle, the packing materials have to be purchased in advance. Would you like a label, label printer and tape? We didn't touch order entry and payment processing.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
posted August 01, 2017 06:41 PM Hide Post
Amazon Prime

Keep supporting them...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...ches-anti-gun-jihad/

This is just one of MANY reasons to not support Amazon. I fear that people may not realize it until it is too late.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10338 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is true to a certain extent, and always has been. But the common carriers (UPS and FedEx) made a big change in policy last year. Now, all packages (used to be only those over 3 cu. ft.) ship using dimension weight. The size of the box determines the weight, not the actual weight (unless it happens to be more than the dim weight). I recently shipped an air rifle to WV, inside a cheap Plano hard case and that inside a box. It weighed 18 pounds, but it shipped as 43 pounds, because of the size of the box.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post