SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Folks need to ID themselves by their forum handle, when email communicating for the very first time.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Folks need to ID themselves by their forum handle, when email communicating for the very first time. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
This has happened several times. Out of the blue, for the first time, someone emailed me with questions or in reference to some thread/post I made. No introduction, and no screen name whatsoever. That's just plain rude. You're not getting a reply, if I don't know who the heck you are. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Good point Q. I’ve emailed a few Sigforum folks over the years. I always say ‘My name is Richard ******. I go by CoolRich59 on Sigforum.’

Heck. I even introduce myself when I talk to my neighbors. Even tnough I live down the street, I don’t expect them to know or remember who I am.

It’s common courtesy folks! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolRich59,

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, common courtesy is not so common anymore.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
How do we know this is even you?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
This has happened several times. Out of the blue, for the first time, someone emailed me with questions or in reference to some thread/post I made. No introduction, and no screen name whatsoever. That's just plain rude. You're not getting a reply, if I don't know who the heck you are. Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Waiting to see who makes the first fist on this one.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will check my out going box,
I am pretty good at that usually.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is annoying.

I start any new email dialogue with something like: Good morning. L. R. (“V-Tail”) here.

If I receive an email that is clearly from a forum member, but I don’t know which member, I might return a three word response: “Who is this?”

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30661 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I even put "Sig Forum: " as the start of the subject line.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Q

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I even put "Sig Forum: " as the start of the subject line.

Same here, subject is usually something like:
SigForum: Email Subject

Followed by an intro with my username in the first line or 2.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15307 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've always put my user name + real name in body of email.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I always put my screen name and invisible friend from "the forum" or "SigForum" in initial emails. Luckily I have been hanging around long enough that the long timers are good with that.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I have done that, but do not think I have emailed more than one person on this sight.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I agree. I always put “BB61 from SIGforum” in the subject line. To much spam nowadays.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Any time I email another member I identify myself with my forum name. Even if we have emailed each other before.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post