SIGforum
Being solicited for donations at the grocery store

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1980078644

September 10, 2018, 01:43 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Being solicited for donations at the grocery store
I can remember when there was a jar on the counter and a picture of a child with braces and a small sign that said contribute to the March of Dimes. Nobody hassled you. These days being asked for money seems to be a part of every transaction at the grocery. Some outlets now have it automated where you must choose between dollar amounts and a small no Thank you at the bottom. The screen will not move forward until a choice is made.

I personally find that annoying. I guess the practice must be working since it seems to be spreading to retail outlets.
September 10, 2018, 02:16 PM
V-Tail
I gave at the office.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 10, 2018, 02:23 PM
BigSwede
I have needy ankle biters at home

September 10, 2018, 02:25 PM
2Adefender
Just say “no thank you”, pay for your groceries, and be on your way.

But I agree with you, it is annoying.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.
September 10, 2018, 02:33 PM
sigmonkey
No, I am not a "whatever member".
No, I do not want to sign up.
No, I do not want the store's credit card.
No, I do not want extended coverage.
No, I do not want to give my phone number.
No, I do not want to give my email address.
No, I do not want to donate to any cause.
No, I do not want to round up, round off, round about, see you round, merry go round or ring a round a rosie.

I want to pay for the item(s) and be on my way.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
September 10, 2018, 02:41 PM
henryaz

My gripe is when the begging comes up on the point of sale terminal, before you can pay. The screen is certainly a "touch screen", and I've watched while in line while people with cards that ask a question simply touch the screen to keep going. But not for the begging screen. To reply "No Thanks", I've tried tapping the big red button with my finger and it never works. You have to pick up the stylus to say "no". And for a transaction that otherwise would not require the stylus, it is a PIA. It kind of breaks the rhythm of what would otherwise be a fast transaction.

September 10, 2018, 02:57 PM
Puckpilot78
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I gave at the office.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...
September 10, 2018, 04:29 PM
Edmond
Seems to be especially bad at Publix.

September 10, 2018, 05:38 PM
Kevmo
The only version of this that I do not find intrusive is when they ask if you want to round up to the nearest dollar as a donation.
September 10, 2018, 05:41 PM
YooperSigs
I have to weave my way through a variety of folks wanting me to donate to send their kids on a trip somewhere.
I wont give any cash unless its to ship them off permanently.
Is that wrong?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
September 10, 2018, 06:14 PM
Anush
quote:

Yes, & now you can not pay at Walmart without saying no to a contribution.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
September 12, 2018, 03:44 PM
bean357
It has gotten to be that way at every larger grocery store here too, as well as some fast food places. Cub is awful for a grocery store. Arby's is awful for a fast food place. I realize it is not the checkout personnel doing this on their own and that they have to ask due to admin. Sometimes it pisses me off to the point I will go someplace else to buy.

Sigmonkey has it!! LOL Big Grin
September 12, 2018, 06:39 PM
RHINOWSO
Practice saying "No Thank You" often.

The more you do, the more natural it becomes.
September 12, 2018, 09:13 PM
wcb6092
This annoys me also and I wonder who is auditing these businesses to make sure the money is going to the charity.

And if it goes to the charity do the businesses get a huge tax write off for the donations that are actually made by the customers?

September 12, 2018, 09:55 PM
Rey HRH
"I'm buying the McFrugal brand product here with a coupon and you want to hit me up for a donation???"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
September 13, 2018, 02:01 PM
calugo
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

Not true.....at least not at the Walmart in my area. I don't donate to any charities other than a few I'm familiar with. So many so called charities out there where very little of the money goes towards helping anyone.
September 13, 2018, 02:37 PM
Kevmo
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

I just discovered the easiest way to deal with Walmart (other than never going there). I tried their curbside grocery service....I love it!

1) No having to say no to a forced donation
2) No door Nazi checking receipt on way out
3) No mouth breathers clogging uo aisles you are trying to get down.

I placed an order, it was ready in a few hours. They came out, told me to pop the trunk and then told me two items they did not have but the substituted larger sizes for at no additional cost.
September 13, 2018, 05:47 PM
SevenPlusOne
I just say "fuck no".

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"
September 13, 2018, 05:56 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
I just say "fuck no".

There should be a button on the screen that says that!
September 13, 2018, 06:59 PM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

2) No door Nazi checking receipt on way out

I bought a few things at a WalMart once a few years ago. On the way out some dumb broad tried stopping me at the door to "check my receipt". I said, "No thanks" and walked right by her. She waddled out into the parking lot behind me screaming at me, "SIR! SIR! I NEED TO CHECK YOUR RECEIPT OR I'LL HAVE TO CALL THE POLICE!"

I told to go right ahead and call them. Funny, they never showed up at my house.

What a worthless job. Same as the door checkers at Costco. As a member there, though, I do show it to them even though it is an absolute waste of time. They cannot and do not check the items in your cart against the receipt, so why do they even pay someone to fake like they're doing exactly that? It don't make no sense.