SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Amy Hung Up On Me. Again.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amy Hung Up On Me. Again. Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We keep getting calls from different numbers about a free vacation package, yada yada.

After telling my wife about V Tail's post, we agreed that next time they call, we will pursue this angle. So this afternoon, we get the call, which is essentially about a 30 second speil on how great a deal it is, then the lady comes on and says "isn't this a great deal?"

Cue the game.

Me: What are you wearing?

Her: Uhm, I think we have a bad connection, sir, I misheard you. First question I have is, are you between the ages of 17 and 75?

Me: What did you say you're wearing?

Her: I just need your age.

Me: Old enough to want to know what you're wearing.

Her: I don't think we can help you sir. Have a GREAT day! <click>

We howled with laughter, can't wait for them to call back.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
She called me again today. Something about immunization. I really did not understand most of what she was saying because hearing aids.

I did ask her if she was wearing underwear.

I think she said that was not an appropriate question, so I asked her if she was bringing ice cream.

I do not understand why she hangs up.

Her number, if you are interested in speaking with her, is (312) 871-4257, but you'll probably be wasting your time as she does not seem interested in discussing underwear nor ice cream. I don't know how she feels about bacon. I never got the chance to ask before we were disconnected.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is actually a legit call. I recognize the Chicago area code. This is the explanation. They have a TTY number as well. Here is the story:

Have you been called by 312-871-4257, NORC at the University of Chicago, or received a letter from Dr. Nancy Messonnier, Director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), about the National Immunization Survey (NIS), NIS-Teen, or NIS-Child Influenza Module (CIM)?

Please be assured that you were contacted about a survey sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The NIS, NIS-Teen, and NIS-CIM are conducted for CDC by NORC at the University of Chicago.

You or a member of your household may have a chance to take part in an important national survey that provides information to help guide your state and your country’s health policies.

The NIS, sponsored by the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD) at CDC, provides important information about childhood vaccinations and related health issues. CDC also sponsors the NIS-Teen, that provides similar information about vaccinations received by teens. The NIS-CIM provides information about flu vaccinations received by children and teens not included in the NIS and NIS-Teen.

Have Questions?

See answers to frequently asked questions.

If you received a call or a letter and have any questions about these surveys, please call NORC toll-free at 1-877-220-4805. Someone is usually available to answer the phone from 9AM to 9PM in your time zone. If possible, please call from the same phone line that received the call from 312-871-4257. This helps us more quickly direct your call to someone who can answer your questions. If you leave a message, we try to return all calls received between 9AM and 9PM within one to two hours.

If you prefer to use a TTY, please call the AT&T Relay Service at 1-800-855-2880 and request that NORC be called at 1-877-220-4805.

The National Immunization Surveys are conducted in households across the country by phone. The majority of the telephone numbers are randomly selected by a computer so it is possible that unlisted numbers and cell phone numbers may also be contacted. If we have an address for your phone number, we mail a letter from Dr. Nancy Messonnier, Director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, which describes the survey before a telephone interview is conducted.

Your participation is voluntary and no information that identifies any individual is ever shared or released. All survey responses and personal data are kept confidential in accordance with strict Federal regulations. Survey results are analyzed and published in reports to benefit local, state, and national public health programs.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
That is actually a legit call.
Are they just dialing numbers at random? I asked who she wanted to speak to and she gave me an evasive answer. I figured that if it really was a legit call, the would be able to ask for somebody by name.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is actually a legit call...

Still, my house, my rules. If you call me and I don't know you, the first thing you have to tell me is if you're wearing underwear. Don't like my rules? Don't call.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they just dialing numbers at random? I asked who she wanted to speak to and she gave me an evasive answer. I figured that if it really was a legit call, the would be able to ask for somebody by name.

I agree. Who knows who the University of Chicago employs for these things. If I am correct they produced Obama and Bernie.

You would think a letter would be more appropriate since this is an important issue. Some years back when I was a subscriber to the WSJ I was sent a survey to complete along with a brand new dollar bill enclosed. The note said please accept this as an appreciation for completing this survey, we hope the dollar bill will brighten the day of a child you know. I thought that was clever marketing. Of course this is beyond the scope of the intellectuals at the University who know little about the world it seems.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
That is actually a legit call...
Still, my house, my rules. If you call me and I don't know you, the first thing you have to tell me is if you're wearing underwear. Don't like my rules? Don't call.
BINGO!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I do not have the patience for that. I just hang up on them when they start their spiel.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Got the warranty call a couple of days ago. Caller ID looked reliable. Actual business.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
She keeps calling me from (727) 228-1937.

She wants to talk about credit cards.

I want to know what she's wearing.

No you don't.

Trust me.

But if you positively must know, here she is.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31377 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
She keeps calling me from (727) 228-1937.

She wants to talk about credit cards.

I want to know what she's wearing.
No you don't.

Trust me.

But if you positively must know, here she is.
Are you sure? I had sort of pictured her more like this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I did not think you liked English redheads. Well live and learn.

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I answer the phone "Metro Vice, Tip Line"

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I do not have the patience for that. I just hang up on them when they start their spiel.

Same here. I'm not wasting time playing with anyone.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I had been getting calls from a number for the last few days, but never when I could actually pick up my phone. Finally just did, it was a research group asking my opinion on my state politicians. I don't think she liked my opinion very much. Red Face

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I got the "Pain management" telemarketer today.

They call, assuming you are an elerly person and tell you that medicaid has approved you to get whatever new "wondercure" or "wonderdrug" that will help you deal with your immense pain. They tell you that you were referred by your doctor...

The chap, who was obviously from this country judging by his Indian accent (like, from India, not Native American) asked me "Are you tired of experiencing pain sir?"

I told him I was... I could hear all the background noise of the other operators...

He initially didn't understand me so he repeated his question... "Where are you experiencing pain sir?"

ME: "I have this giant pain in my ass."

HIM: "Well we can gladly help you with that, on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is your pain?"

ME: "Easily a 10, It is a HUGE pain in my ass."

HIM: "I"m sorry sir, what did you say?"

(I can tell I am on speaker phone as I can hear the background chatter much better)

ME: "I have this huge pain in my ass. It is driving me nuts."

HIM: "We can help with this and get you signed up, how long have you experienced this pain?"

ME: "Every time you assholes call me, it is a HUGE pain in my ass."

(Massive laughter on the other end)

Then the call ends.

I wish i would have recorded it.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
The note said please accept this as an appreciation for completing this survey, we hope the dollar bill will brighten the day of a child you know. I thought that was clever marketing. Of course this is beyond the scope of the intellectuals at the University who know little about the world it seems.

I have gotten those too, although not from the WSJ.

The dollars (or, more often, 'shiny new' quarters, dimes, nickels) get put aside until the holidays, and then go into Salvation Army kettles.

And they still don't get whatever it was they wanted. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got the "Pain management" telemarketer today.

They call, assuming you are an elerly person and tell you that medicaid has approved you to get whatever new "wondercure" or "wonderdrug" that will help you deal with your immense pain. They tell you that you were referred by your doctor...

I like how you responded. In any event, this is an issue that should be reported to the FRAUD division of Medicare or Medicaid. A lot of people fall for that crap and it costs all of us money and leads to identity theft in many instances. I suspect you are referring to Medicare, not Medicaid. In any event report that to the Fraud division and they should investigate.

It is also advised that you call your physician and let them know of this.

posted Hide Post
GREAT NEWS!! Maybe a call from Amy could net your some dollars. Here is a story from WGN regarding settlement of a class action suit.

http://wgntv.com/2017/08/15/th...e-could-get-you-900/

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I got another one with "Metro Vice" today at 0930.
I heard a funny kind of strangling sound on the other end just before he disconnected.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post