SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    bringing sugar treats to a type 2 diabetetic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bringing sugar treats to a type 2 diabetetic Login/Join 
posted
stop it, she don't need it and shouldn't have it.

its just torment, its not a gift if you cause pain, I going to just start throwing the shit out while you are there, its been discussed on more than three occasions

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
stop it, she don't need it and shouldn't have it.

its just torment, its not a gift if you cause pain, I going to just start throwing the shit out while you are there, its been discussed on more than three occasions

THIS times 1000. You ask nicely once, you ask nicely twice, you tell them on the third time no more, after that its fucking rude and obnoxious, and I am right there with you. Throw that shit in the trash can right in front of them and hand them back their container. Its the only way some people understand.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have a 14 year old type 1 diabetic in the house.
But I don’t expect everyone to keep up with every single allergy or ailment. Heck, I don’t need the stuff either, but I’m gracious, and smile and just handle it when we get home. If the person in question expects her to eat it right then and there, then we explain that she is type 1 diabetic and should really avoid that kind of stuff (as we all should, really).

While I wouldn’t wish diabetes on anyone, and I’d take it from her if I could, the silver lining has been that we all eat healthier because of it.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I don’t expect everyone to keep up with every single allergy or ailment.
Mr. Bendable states that this has been discussed more than three times. I have to agree with him, the time for graciousness was the first, and maybe the second time, but to continue to do this after you have been asked three or more times to cease, is just plain rude and inconsiderate.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I don’t expect everyone to keep up with every single allergy or ailment.
Mr. Bendable states that this has been discussed more than three times. I have to agree with him, the time for graciousness was the first, and maybe the second time, but to continue to do this after you have been asked three or more times to cease, is just plain rude and inconsiderate.

Of course, in that situation, yes. Folks that are “close” to us should understand. But not casual aquantences and folks we are seldom around.

I wasn’t disagreeing, but as usual, my entire thought process did not end up on the page. Smile

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
They should get a good case of duobeatings.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

With a giant candycane.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

With a giant sugerfree candycane.

FIFY

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

It's approaching malicious territory.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yet one more demonstration of how giving gifts is often more about gratifying the giver than the recipient.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It could be that the giver just suffers from cranial rectal interlock. When I get something that I don't eat for whatever reason (happens every year), I thank the giver and take it to somebody who would be glad to have it. This past week I took a big basket of junk food type stuff to the shop I retired from. They chowed down on it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its mostly her family /relatives Mad

they know she's over weight, over 70 and they don't seem to want to be bothered with either making the stuff she could very well enjoy or going to search for stuff that they could purchase .

Mad

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
its mostly her family /relatives Mad

they know she's over weight, over 70 and they don't seem to want to be bothered with either making the stuff she could very well enjoy or going to search for stuff that they could purchase .

Mad

Now THAT is uncalled for.
My family and close friends ALWAYS make/bring something that my type 1 daughter can have and enjoy. They realize that it’s not a “treat” for her to have carmelized sugar, with sprinkles....it can be downright dangerous.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Seems intentional. You have every right to be upset.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 14 year old type 1 diabetic in the house.
But I don’t expect everyone to keep up with every single allergy or ailment. Heck, I don’t need the stuff either, but I’m gracious, and smile and just handle it when we get home. If the person in question expects her to eat it right then and there, then we explain that she is type 1 diabetic and should really avoid that kind of stuff (as we all should, really).

While I wouldn’t wish diabetes on anyone, and I’d take it from her if I could, the silver lining has been that we all eat healthier because of it.

You are correct about your child not eating stuff like that. My wife became Type One when she was 8 years old. She is now 64 and doing pretty good which we attribute to her not eating things like candy or any sugar laden food.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Just as an fyi..I read an article that suggested drinking a shot of Tequilla every night stimulates the production of insulin. I have done this for over a week and can tell you, it seems to work for me so far. So much that I can eat my normal diet, still work out, and have 3 cookies a day and average 133 taking my sugar 4 times a day.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
What kind of tequila? For years I have told my coworkers not to bring sugar laden goodies for the birthday at at work cause several of us have sugar problems. I think they bring things they like to eat.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GF BFF has a friend who like to make fruit preserves, strawberry, blackberry, etc...

So, "friend" jar's several preserves and give them to my GF......who is a Diabetic.

Can't eat them.

Gives them to me. So, for past few days I tried some. It's yummy, BUT taste sugary. Find out that "friend" adds sugar to the preserves to "make it taste better", she said.

Made my BP increase and I gained a few pounds.

I dumped everything.

What the hell is it with people who add sugar to fruit preserve that's already sugary?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gives them to me. So, for past few days I tried some. It's yummy, BUT taste sugary. Find out that "friend" adds sugar to the preserves to "make it taste better", she said.

That is an amazing and incredible reaction and outcome, both in scope and timing. Unless you're tossing down a quart a day with biscuits to match, there is almost zero chance that change came from some preserves.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

That is an amazing and incredible reaction and outcome, both in scope and timing. Unless you're tossing down a quart a day with biscuits to match, there is almost zero chance that change came from some preserves.

Preserves with ADDED SUGAR.

Guess you missed that part?

Yes, excess sugar does boost my blood pressure. Two physicians have told me that and at my age (78) my BP machine does verify that fact.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post