SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Credit Card Fraud
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card Fraud Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted
I had my Citi card replaced due to fraudulent charges not even 20 days ago and I just got a fresh one on my new card. Mad I have only used it at a gas station and Costco. I hope these people get eaten by ants.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I had my Citi card replaced due to fraudulent charges not even 20 days ago and I just got a fresh one on my new card. Mad I have only used it at a gas station and Costco. I hope these people get eaten by ants.

People stick readers on pumps, learned that the hard way. They should be towed out to sea and sunk.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've never been more frustrated than dealing with these asshole fraudsters the other day. I work Loss Prevention for a retail chain. We had 6 people in one day come into the store and at, the self-checks, buy upwards of 10 to 15 $30 in-store gift cards. each $30 transaction was a different card. some of the 6 had the same stolen card numbers copied onto different cards.

I was notified of it when an officer from Florida called the store and asked to talk to me about turning over video and transaction data to the local PD.

I decided to call the region's Global Investigations for the retailer I work for and see what they can do since it's obviously across state lines now.

Global Investigations told me (and I paraphrase into bullet points)

-$30 transactions are benign and low-dollar enough, that it's too hard to track, and separate the good from the fraud.
-the money isn't ours (the store's), since it's on gift cards so we can't do anything
- the credit card charges will be disputed by the end-user cardholder, and reversed, so they're not out money. (it's a headache, but it's the cardholders problem, not mine, essentially).
- From the MO you've told me, it sounds like the Cuban's scheme they have going on. are they cuban? (yes. they look cuban.) Yep. They're good. they're fast, and they fly under the radar and make it not worth us tracking down.
- (I asked what, if anything, I can do) Well, just give the police the data you have as you receive the requests for info from the local PD. (essentially, nothing. just waste my time, eh?)

He kept throwing around "low dollar" and "small-time" and shit, when I had 8 or 10 gift card numbers each with values of $1000. they easily swiped $5000 or more just in my store alone on ONE DAY.

I asked him if there could be a way for them to get the programming to not allow gift cards to be sold on the self-check registers to block this from happening. "oh, that's up to Operations. not me. I dunno anything about that. tell your boss to send it up the line." Yeah. that'll do anything.

What I learned? Retailers don't care. literally, do not give a shit about this. Okay - cards get skimmed, and if they're getting skimmed in a particular location then that location better care, but chances of them even knowing is pretty slim. I, at my level, train my employees to watch for suspicious activity and deter these assholes - make them nervous enough to stop and leave. but that doesn't always happen. they often have a decoy to distract my employees while they do these. they're quick.

and as for local PD? they don't get enough info from the cards, my cameras, and it's always a delayed report of a few hours to a few weeks in some cases.

Oh, I am still mad just thinking about all that! Mad

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The retailers don't care. LE doesn't care (too small, too common, and too much work.) The banks don't care (it's easier for them to just notch up interest rates and fees to compensate, rather than try and stop it.) And the CC companies don't care (think it just not their problem.)

So no one who might be in any position to do anything about it cares. The fraudsters know this, and know how to stay just under the threshold where some of the above might care, and still be able to make good money with the fraud schemes. This is a more modern form of shoplifting.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. No pursuit or prosecution of these assholes so the rest of us suffer with it.
Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never been more frustrated than dealing with these asshole fraudsters the other day. I work Loss Prevention for a retail chain. We had 6 people in one day come into the store and at, the self-checks, buy upwards of 10 to 15 $30 in-store gift cards. each $30 transaction was a different card. some of the 6 had the same stolen card numbers copied onto different cards.

Thanks for caring for what its worth. These perps eventually get karma they deserve. {At least that thought makes me feel better}. I have been a victim on multiple occasions.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I would totally be ok with lining a few key roads leading into our city with crucified thieves like this. Might have a positive effect.

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spartacus. Love it. Probably not PC though.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
One of my Mastercards alerted me to a red-flagged transaction, sent me a new card and recently credited me for $200 worth of more bogus charges.

One possible reason banks don't pursue this fraud is that much of it is committed by some very dangerous people, i.e., the [insert country here] Mafia.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
One possible reason banks don't pursue this fraud is that much of it is committed by some very dangerous people, i.e., the [insert country here] Mafia.
What, the Bad Guys are gonna go into a branch and start shooting the place up? These bastages need to be prosecuted vigorously. Start putting them away, doing hard time, and sooner or later the message will be received.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

In some circles those in the financial industry are known as "banksters".

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
What, the Bad Guys are gonna go into a branch and start shooting the place up? These bastages need to be prosecuted vigorously. Start putting them away, doing hard time, and sooner or later the message will be received.

Try to identify them, first. That's the kicker. We have had some good results lately on some of them, but there are a ton of them out there. Just kids, all they need to do is download the necessary hacking tools. They don't even have to understand how they work.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
While taking my fraudulent use report the officer said that they would love to prosecute but the banks and credit unions decline to. They consider it a "cost of doing business".

Well guess who ultimately pays for "cost of doing business" through higher fees and interest charges?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
One of these days, I'll win the MegaMillions, you know after I give them money. Anyways, after I convert a Chinook into a flying motorhome, my next order of business is creating a sort of A-Team that goes out and hunts the peckerheads that think stealing credit card info is a fine idea. Their crimes will be recorded and played back for them. Should they recant, their punishment may be light. But, should they be dickbags about it, their punishment will be grave indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Credit card fraud exists because our law enforcement and judicial branches lack the resources and/or desire to take it seriously and aggressively prosecute. There is virtually zero enforcement of these crimes.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
We have an on-going criminal case regarding ID theft.

Coincidentially, the two young ladies were in court today and they are looking at 22 Cl 4 felonies each.

Our DDA does have the desire to take it seriously.

It will be an interesting story when this is done and I can relate it.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sousana
posted Hide Post
Get you an RIF wallet blocker. I too had issues with charges on both my credit union and Bank of America card, neither of which I used outside of stores or gas stations. When I buy gas I pay inside never using the pump unit. It seems people can simply walk by you and scan your magnetic strip still in your wallet in your back pocket and get the info. Since I bought that wallet that has anti-scan strips woven into it, I haven't had a lick of problems.

As to online purchases, I use a Bank of America Mastercard, and when I need to make a purchase I go to BOA website, login to my account and have them issue me a one time credit card number, good for exactly ONE purchase and one purchase only.

לפעמים אדם עונה גורלו על הכביש הוא לקח כדי למנוע אותו

Posts: 35 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I guess I need to step it up some. I just had a card shut down, someone tried a $4k 'balance transfer' onto the card. This is also a card I hardly use.

For most nickle & dime purchases, I'll use cash. At least I've always had the CC company catch it early.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post