SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Changing the modern headlight bulb...or, how I battled Satan and lost (some knuckle skin, that is)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing the modern headlight bulb...or, how I battled Satan and lost (some knuckle skin, that is) Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Out of curiosity, which model of Mazda?

Mazda 6.

My wife wants to "downsize" to a new Mazda 3. But not before I have a look-see as to the ease of access to the various bulbs, if I have any say about it...which I know I won't (sigh)...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good friend of my Brother In Law went to a Lexus dealer to get a bulb replaced. Fortunately he was wise enough to ask for a written quote. Quote was $ 2378.95 !!! After telling the dealer his opinion of getting charged over 2200 dollars in labor to replace a light bulb he drove that Lexus to a Jeep dealer and traded that Lexus in on a new Grand Cherokee.

Me, I laugh at these kinds of posts. Because I drive either a 1985 Monte Carlo SS or a 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Takes me about 5 minutes to swap out a Sealed Beam and I don't even have to open the Hood.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Me, I laugh at these kinds of posts. Because I drive either a 1985 Monte Carlo SS or a 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Takes me about 5 minutes to swap out a Sealed Beam and I don't even have to open the Hood.

There is also the added plus of having your lights made with glass so you don't have them looking like an old milk jug.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
For a 2003 Acura RSX. Open hood. If driver's side, unhook washer fluid tube and undo battery restraints and push battery aside. Feel by Braille for 8 minutes and cutting up your hands until you unplug the headlamp plug and pull off the rubber housing. Then unclip the wire bulb bracket to access the bulb.

If you break the bulb wire bracket because you can't see WTF you're doing, then buy a whole new headlight housing assembly for $300 + labor because the bracket can't be replaced by itself, and then you have to pull the whole front bumper off. Mad

Yeah, 2003 isn't that modern, but modern enough to still suck!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I had to do my 2006 Buick LaCrosse last month, and cursed the engineers who were incompetent designers. So much is right about the car. A few things are just not.

Yeah, I just did this on my exwife's '08 Lacrosse. Getting it ready for my daughter to start driving. I have to remove a bunch of stuff from the front, pull the headlight assembly out a little, then I could change it. I changed the other one as well. Might as well get both now.

My BMWs were a little easier, there was an access panel in the wheel well. I haven't tried yet in my Subaru Legacy. To change the fog light bulbs on the Legacy, I had to remove the front bumper. It's held in by 17 clips. Well, 16 now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
I pull the bumper skin of my 2005 Volvo XC70, (a 5 min job) to remove the housings and change bulbs. Much easier than removing all kinds of stuff in the engine bay to gain a little access to the lamp housing, and still not really being able to replace the multitude of lamps inside.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
My 2011 4Runner is the same way - what a huge PITA.

Cut wheel hard, unscrew 4 fender liner clips, literally pry the liner back and apart. Blindly try and reach and unscrew the bulb assembly out, all the while doing a funky contortion pose.

My 2014 Tundra manual reads like that to replace the headlight bulb.
I've found it easier to pull the grille (4 bolts and 2 fasteners), a front body part (2 more bolts and 2 fasteners), and pull the entire headlight assembly (3 more bolts).
Much easier than reaching and fishing for something (a rubber boot and a thin wire clip) you can't see.
I can do all that in less than 10 minutes for both sides.. Big Grin

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Yes, many cars suck changing the bulbs. Now imagine trying to explain to a customer that it's going to take 2 hours, cost $200 plus just in labor to change a $5 headlight bulb. ~OR~ Tell the customer that their HID bulb costs $100+ and will take half the day to get it from the dealer because the parts house (NAPA, Advance, etc.) don't stock them.

I always feel bad but there isn't much I can do when the engineers have their heads up their asses when designing these things.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Don’t discount asking your wife if she has small hands. Beats the heck out of shelling out $$$$ at the stealership!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Now you know why they charge a ton of money for simple tasks at the dealership, that and they are crooks nonetheless.

Blackeye, I have worked in the auto repair business for over 45 years. I think your broad brush painting of mechanics is totally asinine.

Remember I didn't design it, I didn't build it, I didn't sell it to you. I'm just trying to fix it.

If the automobile buying public would quit demanding mobile TV hotspots, self adjusting mirrors, and buy automobiles without all the bells and whistles they would be less expensive AND easier to repair.

Men, don't push button on dash marked "ATR" !!! Automatic Tampex Remover " Smile

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
This is why I drive trucks. Old trucks.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
On the older Acura and Honda's, it is recommended that you remove the bumper cover, then the headlights to access the bulbs. Otherwise, you'll have to peel off the fenderwell liner, which is super fun as well.

HID bulbs aren't that bad at all. Mine lasted 10 years before I replaced them for being dim. Replacements were right about $40 each by the OEM Osram. I love the light and the reliability.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
the owners manual of my Ford Flex says you have to have the dealer replace the high intensity bulbs... one burned out and I went on line and stupidly picked the longest youtube video of how to do it yourself.. the 'engineer' (had to be) that made this video agreed with the manual and said you had to remove the entire front bumper to remove the lighting module that holds both head lights and fog lights and turn signal lights... he is right that to remove the module you do have to take the front off... but to change out the main head light all you have to do is open the hood, pop off the rubber over on the back of the module. reach in and turn the light a quarter turn to the left and remove while working the connecting wire along with it then reverse... DUH?

Oh and the other thing was Autozone wanted $149 for one bulb.... could buy two off Amazon for $25.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So... I took a peek under the hood of my new Silverado.
Drivers side: Easily accessible.
Passenger side: Not so much. Lots of things to remove, involving at the least the air intake.
Cant wait!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I changed the headlights on my old Dodge truck a few years ago. Went from regular bulbs where I couldn't see much, to the HID projectors from an Infinity Q45. Running about 13,000 lumens now. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It's a bit easier once you move the battery out of the way"

Who's idea was that?

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post