SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    ATT still the idiotic company you remebered
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATT still the idiotic company you remebered Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Tried to cancel an ATT service today. Maybe I did and maybe I didn't. I made sure to block any attempt by them to charge my credit card again. Bounced around seemingly from Dallas to India and then the Philippines. They must reward these people based on how fast and loudly they talk and how rude and stupid they can be. I truly cannot believe that they don't lose money by outsourcing CS? I suppose one cannot expect much from a company that promoted a former hairdresser to an executive VP and has 85 to 90% of its workforce as contractors.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I suppose one cannot expect much from a company that ... has 85 to 90% of its workforce as contractors.
It kind of depends on who the contractors are.

I am an ex Bell Labs / AT&T employee. I did some contract work for AT&T and BellSouth for a number of years.

Some of the most productive people on our projects were contractors -- ex-employees who had retired and then came back into the workforce as contractors. They really know what they were doing.

On the other hand, there were some H1-B contractors that were recruited from offshore; it seemed as if the prime motivation for using them was to fill chairs at minimum cost. The recruiters must have promised to get them green cards and teach them to speak English. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I suppose one cannot expect much from a company that ... has 85 to 90% of its workforce as contractors.

I am an ex Bell Labs / AT&T employee. I did some contract work for AT&T and BellSouth for a number of years.

Some of the most productive people on our projects were contractors -- ex-employees who had retired and then came back into the workforce as contractors. They really know what they were doing.

On the other hand, there were some H1-B contractors that were recruited from offshore; it seemed as if the prime motivation for using them was to fill chairs at minimum cost. The recruiters must have promised to get them green cards and teach them to speak English. Wink

I too did a multi year stint as an ATT contractor and ran into exactly the same thing. Some years now post that awful experience I thought that it could not have gotten any worse. Based on my latest interaction I would say that it has. I bet their web satisfaction scores are in the mid 50s or below. I should have bailed when Yahoo was having all the security problems, my own fault. The H1 Bs seem to have added attitude issues and not taking turns conversationally. That is how they interact with each other so that is how they act on the phone. I suspect that the other carriers are just as bad.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Ex-SWBell employee here. What V-Tail said. If you get lucky enough to stumble across one of the ex-employees who were worth anything it can be good. The H1-Bs and the tech wonders they hired away from the Geek Squad are another story all together. The last one who shot trouble on my line turned out to be one of my ex-cable splicers helpers. He did an outstanding job.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was in the software development side. We would receive written specifications and requirements, then write the software to comply with these.

Many of the H1-B "imports" really lacked in English to the point where they just did not understand the specs and requirements, and they did some pretty creative interpretation, turning out a product that did not do the intended job. It turned out to be a real disaster on the part of the prime contractor that sought to increase their profits by bringing in these H1-B clowns.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Ex-SWBell employee here. What V-Tail said. If you get lucky enough to stumble across one of the ex-employees who were worth anything it can be good. The H1-Bs and the tech wonders they hired away from the Geek Squad are another story all together. The last one who shot trouble on my line turned out to be one of my ex-cable splicers helpers. He did an outstanding job.

When I became a Southern Bell cable splicer in 1973, the cable helpers were long gone. Dean

Posts: 219 | Location: Loganville, Ga. | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a telecommuter, I had a toll-free number that termed to a business line here in my home with a BRNA feature that delivered any BRNA calls to a voicemail server number. I needed that voicemail term number changed to a different number a few years after the BellSouth/AT&T "merger." When I called my BellSouth customer service number to have the change made I was informed that my call forwarding service was no longer being offered as part of the package that I had been on lo these many years and, coincidentally, they "were about to write me a letter" informing me of the required package upgrade and the associated higher costs.

I informed them that I wasn't asking for a different or upgraded offering, simply a change to the BRNA forwarding number. I stated that I had been on this service with BellSouth for many, many years and these simple adjustments had never been a problem. They then informed me - in no uncertain terms - that I wasn't dealing with BellSouth any more; I was now dealing with the new AT&T. Three days later and one call to COMCAST I wasn't, haven't since, and don't intend to in the future. All is forgiven, BellSouth, please come back.

Regarding the thread title, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You have inbound E-mail.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was in the software development side. We would receive written specifications and requirements, then write the software to comply with these.

Many of the H1-B "imports" really lacked in English to the point where they just did not understand the specs and requirements, and they did some pretty creative interpretation, turning out a product that did not do the intended job. It turned out to be a real disaster on the part of the prime contractor that sought to increase their profits by bringing in these H1-B clowns.

All those people now work for Oracle.

Posts: 5754 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ATT does not want the landline biz. And, by the time management is done massaging the numbers, that 50 percent rating looks like 99 percent approval. This they still get their bonus

Posts: 1399 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Apparently this guy is not a fan either.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Apparently this guy is not a fan either.

Yeah, that dude definitely hates ATT.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post