SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Giving me back" minutes in a meeting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Giving me back" minutes in a meeting Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post

For the next meeting you guys go to. Ive started to find people have meetongs just to have them and hear themselves talk for an hour.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I don't understand this corp-speak. What do they mean by "giving it back"?

They're basically saying "well we could have taken up the full hour of your time that we allotted but we chose not to"

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some shit you hear in the military.

Had a BN CDR who had us in the field 3 weekends out of the month. Payday activities come along and we get a 1/2 day for payday activities. So instead of working from 0600-1800, the Enlisted guys worked from 0600-1400 while the Officers were there 0600-1700. But he would say, "we're giving you your time back..." Roll Eyes

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
When the meeting runs over by 15 minutes what do they say?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Just got off a con-call with 5 minutes to spare, and the organizer said this verbatim. I immediately thought about this thread and laughed out loud...I was not on mute.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've long said that the only thing of substance ever accomplished in middle management meetings is to determine when the next meeting will be.

Utter wastes of time.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I refuse to higher a vendor if they use conference calls and meetings.

So much fucking wasted time. If a company can make money while 6 people sit on the phone together each to say 10 minutes worth of information, then they are charging me too much.

Put it in a fucking email.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Actually between the amount of time it required me to prepare for this meeting, get here, and return to my office, I'm touching your charge number for 1.2 hours.

That usually quiets them down a bit

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
It is giving melenials 15 minutes back to surf the Internet.

Or check Facebook or Twitter.... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I just keep telling myself... relax, they are paying you to sit here and listen to mindless babble. And they will pay you tomorrow, to sit and listen to the same people spewing more mindless babble.
And I agree, they didn't give me back jack squat, they simply wasted my employers money on the last 45 minutes.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
I just keep telling myself... relax, they are paying you to sit here and listen to mindless babble. And they will pay you tomorrow, to sit and listen to the same people spewing more mindless babble.
And I agree, they didn't give me back jack squat, they simply wasted my employers money on the last 45 minutes.

I was breathing that as a mantra next to a VP. He just nudged me (after a snicker), interupts the speaker, and says "great, now if there's nothing else, let's go do some work."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reach out

Kind regards

And I have been told, in writing, that

"Blow Me"

is unacceptable as a response

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post