SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Giving me back" minutes in a meeting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Giving me back" minutes in a meeting Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I am hearing this a lot now in meetings, if the meeting is scheduled for an hour, 45 minutes into it when its done someone will say "Ok, we are wrapped up so we will give you back 15 minutes" Your not giving me back shit, the meeting is done

How about you give me back the last 45 minutes for your stupid meeting?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen, could not have said it better.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I don't understand this corp-speak. What do they mean by "giving it back"?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I specifically don't speak corporatese, I've found without exception people who've got actual say in the running of things find it refreshing.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I hear this all the time in meetings, and this is at a school.

The other concept is "found time" (i.e. when the cancel a meeting and it's supposed to be a gift to me).

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard it yet but will now be on the lookout.

So.... if they are giving back 15 minutes, does that mean I can leave 15 minutes early?

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just another idiot phrase like "reach out to".

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:

I thought that was "reach around"...

To OP.

Next time you hear it, raise your voice and say: "You keep the 15 minutes, I'll take the money."

Then watch the looks you get when logic slaps them back to reality.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I am hearing this a lot now in meetings, if the meeting is scheduled for an hour, 45 minutes into it when its done someone will say "Ok, we are wrapped up so we will give you back 15 minutes" Your not giving me back shit, the meeting is done

How about you give me back the last 45 minutes for your stupid meeting?

Conceptually, since you accepted the meeting invite and are at the meeting, you were prepared to spend the whole hour at the meeting. But now that the meeting is finished 15 minutes early, you do have 15 minutes back that you can do something else.

But I know you know this. I just don't get why you don't simply say what you posted at the meeting. Oh, yeah, because you like to keep your job. Never mind.

I get that "we" don't like corporate-lingo as oftentimes the optics and audio are sub-optimal. But sometimes, phrases like "giving you back 15 minutes" are pretty straight forward and self-explanatory.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with just saying "this meeting is done." I mean everyone, I assume, knows how to fucking tell time and knows the meeting ended early.

Is that their way of saying "you better find some shit to do in the next fifteen minutes"?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Meetings: No single one of us can be as stupid as all of us combined.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Glad to see I am not alone in finding this phrase irritating. The use of nouns as verbs, such as partnering, transitioning and the like. We used to have firemen, policeman we now have "first responders", no doctors anymore just "healthcare providers". Our language at times is meaningless. If he were still alive George Carlin would have a field day with what our language has become. The funniest I heard was I homicided that guy.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
you do have 15 minutes back that you can do something else.

Right, and since I've already accounted for that 15 minutes of lost productivity, I'm going across the street for a cup of coffee. (government job) Big Grin

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I don't understand this corp-speak. What do they mean by "giving it back"?

It's the Chair's clever way of giving you a false sense that you're somehow getting away with something.

This is lieu of a raise. Wink

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I hate that.

Corp Speak

"Bubble up"

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
To me it just means the 45 minute nap I just took during the meeting wasn't long enough. I'll take an added 15.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Oh yea.

All. The. Time.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Seems we're not alone.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
It is giving melenials 15 minutes back to surf the Internet.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone took a management class.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post