SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Politicians suck!! Screwed up the Constitutional Carry law in ND
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Politicians suck!! Screwed up the Constitutional Carry law in ND Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
They forgot to make it legal to have a loaded gun in your vehicle. So you can carry concealed but not loaded when in your car. You have to unload and reload when exiting the car.

They say they may fix it in 2 years when they meet again. They should have to go back in and fix it without pay!! Mad

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Wait what? If it were legal to carry outside your vehicle, how would getting into the vehicle change things? Short of a specific prohibition on having a loaded firearm in your vehicle; and if that's the case its more than a fault of the Constitutional Carry laws. A lot of states already allow you to carry in your vehicle without a license/Constitutional Carry.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the only way to carry a loaded gun inside a vehicle is to have a concealed permit. They never changed it with the constitutional carry law. Either through incompetence or as a way to gut the intent of the law.

So there will be a lot of people loading their pistols when they get out of their vehicles. that won't scare the sheep at all Roll Eyes

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Geez, that sucks.

So rather than address it in the CC laws, they really need a standalone piece of legislation that would allow anyone to carry a loaded gun inside their vehicle, possibly under an extension of an existing Castle Doctrine law (if ND already has that).

I will also add, in MO when CC was passed, the number of CCW/LTC (whatever you want to call it) applications didn't really drop off much. Most folks wishing to carry still went through the hassle of getting their permit, as a result it may not be as impactful as you fear.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The true path to Constitutional Carry is to repeal all gun carry laws, not make one saying you don't need a permit.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Gees, talk about setting people up for failure.

Get to the store, get out of the vehicle, load your weapon in plain view of the person driving by or on the other side of the lot, place weapon under your shirt, and walk in to the store - what could possibly go wrong?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's to Protect The Police.

Having a driver with a loaded weapon at a traffic stop is considered a unacceptable risk by the ND SP.
SO they got that exception written into the legislation. Remember, Traffic Stops are the most dangerous part of a Police Job.
Just like Florida, where you can have a CCW, but if it is Exposed, you are racked and arrested for "Brandishing"

Remember the 1st rule. It's always loaded.

Posts: 108 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: November 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jjmcd:

Having a driver with a loaded weapon at a traffic stop is considered a unacceptable risk by the ND SP.
SO they got that exception written into the legislation. Remember, Traffic Stops are the most dangerous part of a Police Job.
Just like Florida, where you can have a CCW, but if it is Exposed, you are racked and arrested for "Brandishing"

The bradishing part of the law was change a few years ago. I don't remember the exact wording right now. Having the wind blow a cover garment open or such are no longer brandishing.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt it was LE that was the reason it got "overlooked". It just sucks because it gutted the intent of the law!! Mad

we have open carry here as well so I believe you would have to have the gun in hand and unholstered to be considered brandishing.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
It's really not the politicians fault. It's the legislative drafting service (Here in Michigan the Legislative Services Bureau)who missed it.
And really, any of the myriad gun groups that reviewed it.

Thanks for another example of why I hate, loath and despise part time legislatures.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jjmcd:

It's been said more times than we can all remember but do the police and politicians expect the criminals to know and obey the law? This screws the law abiding citizen and increases the likelihood of negative attention.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post