SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Refusal to stand for or respect the flag
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refusal to stand for or respect the flag Login/Join 
posted
It's a free country: I get it.

I went to a trade school graduation at which a color guard presented the colors. They were badly handled by a junior police cadet group, and it was sent out on the field before the graduates entered. Three of us stood for the flag. The audience was largely hispanic; not a single hispanic attendee stood for the flag while it was in place for nearly 50 minutes as the graduates marched onto the field.

The honor guard should never have been brought onto the field until the graudates were seated; the flag should have received honors when it came on to the field, carried on standards. Never the less, despite the screw up, nobody stood, nobody placed hands over heart. Finally when asked by the announcer, people stood; I think half the people didn't speak enough English to recite the pledge, and the national anthem was accompied by cheers and cat calls, wolf whistles and yelling, both from the graduates and audience.

When the colors were posted, they were posted on the wrong side of the stage.

Failure to give the flag the respect one should pisses me off to no end. If the motherfuckers can't be bothered to stand for the flag, perhaps they should find another country of residence. I've seen that flag flying in some foreign places that were hard-fought. I've seen it flying over boots and riflesplanted bayonet downward, dog tags slung, and when people whistled and cat called at the high note struck over "rockets red glare," and "bombs bursting in air," I recalled seeing and hearing it first hand. Perhaps most of them had no concept of the significance or import behind the words, and while I recognize that no one is compelled, failure to show the appropriate level of respect does piss me off without limit.

Fuck every one of them.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yup. Me too..

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Which flag were they waiting for?

Mexico, Costo Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia, Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama?
Cuba, Puerto Rico?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
The real deplorables.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Yeah but they'd stand or do what ever required to get their welfare benefits.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
People like that save me the time of learning their character.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
That is bad enough, but try attending an army graduation ceremony where (by my actual count) 11 soldiers (part of the ceremony) were playing grab ass while the national anthem was being played. When it was over, I walked over to a uniformed SFC and told him about it. He promptly went over and chewed mucho ass, and directed them to report to the 1st Sgt and company commander as soon as the ceremony was complete.

The SFC thanked me for making him aware, and we exchanged a few details of our service. Nice guy and he was PISSED and let me know that the grab ass boys were truly going to regret their conduct. As in 1st. Sgt version of an article 15.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in WV. And am happy to say we stand for our flag. Might get an ass whipping if ya don’t.
Hats off, hand over heart, no talking. It’s still the way it should be.

I can’t vouch for what goes at WVU, Marshall & our State universities.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Shameful.
All I can say is that my daughters have been taught correctly and not only stand for our flag but do so with great pride and knowledge of why they are standing.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen that flag flying in some foreign places that were hard-fought.

It's the only flag that's ever been on the Moon. Something these shitbags will never "comprende".

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
People like that save me the time of learning their character.

Yep!
Like a huge blinking neon sign over them that just says "ASSHOLE".

The cool thing is, we don't have to waist time to figure it out.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
It's the only flag that's ever been on the Moon.

The flags of the Soviet Union, Japan, China, India, and the European Space Agency are also on the moon. They just made it there by lunar probes, rather than being planted by actual human beings.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
It's a free country: I get it. ... and while I recognize that no one is compelled, failure to show the appropriate level of respect does piss me off without limit.

Fuck every one of them.

Thank you.

I am going to be buying a flag to replace my current one.
(I put it out and take it in every day at sunrise and sunset)

If you would, please email me an address so I may have one sent to you as well.

Instant "Karma".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just thankful I was raised better. Respect God, country and others. Has always worked for me.

Posts: 69 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
One of the many positive things about Scouts. My boys have learned how color guard should be presented and where the flags should go.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have personally witnessed an asshole being helped to his feet by two BIG men and held there while the National Anthem was played.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Last night my daughter played her last concert in high school. in the Fall she will attend Stevens University. When the Band Director said "Our first song of the program with the chorus will be the National Anthem. No one had to be asked to stand, everyone rose immediately.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I have personally witnessed an asshole being helped to his feet by two BIG men and held there while the National Anthem was played.

Hah! I'd have paid admission to see that!

Back in the early 70's, I was stationed at Misawa Air Base, Misawa Japan. This (of course) was well before the Internet, CD's, DVD's etc. and the base theater (named for Richard Bong, Medal of Honor WWII AAF P-38 Pilot) was very popular.

Of course, the National Anthem was played before the beginning of every movie. Also goes without saying that EVERYBODY stood, usually at attention uniform or not, and payed proper respect.

One time, a teenaged dependent boy sitting in the row in front of me thought it appropriate to remain seated. I bent forward, explained the error of his ways to him and assisted him to his feet. After the Anthem, he turned and said "My Dad is an Officer, and YOU are in big trouble!"

I invited him to step out into the lobby with me and call his Dad right then and there, and we'd see who was in trouble.

Oddly, he declined...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
It's the only flag that's ever been on the Moon.

The flags of the Soviet Union, Japan, China, India, and the European Space Agency are also on the moon. They just made it there by lunar probes, rather than being planted by actual human beings.

Not really the same thing is it...

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Went to Texas this weekend for my nephew's HS graduation ceremony, held at UTA's coliseum (graduation was from Keller HS, but nothing closer to hold all the folks).

I was pleasantly surprised when everyone I could see stood for the flag. The JROTC kids did a stellar job on the presentation, and the synchronization between the US flag bearer and the Texas flag bearer was impressive. Later the school superintendent requested that all veterans stand, and we all got a loud round of applause. He then asked that all graduating students who plan to enter the armed forces stand and be recognized, and about 6-8 did so to thunderous applause. I thought to myself, "this country isn't quite dead yet...."

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post