SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Optics Planet did not hold up their end of the deal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics Planet did not hold up their end of the deal Login/Join 
posted
Optics Planet has some good pricing, but I feel that they let me down on this deal.

They offered P239 40S&W barrels for $139. So I ordered one. After a couple of months of delay, they cancelled the order saying that they could not get it from Sig. Sig, however, still has it listed on their website.

It worked out okay in the end as I got one on ebay for $50. but I do feel that Optics Planet failed to keep a deal that they could have kept.

Posts: 19 | Registered: July 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surprise,surprise.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's easy to have good pricing when you have no inventory and may or may not actually ship the item.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup, take that as a sign.

Optics Planet sucks.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
Nice to see Optics Planet living up to their reputation.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I've had about 6 orders from OP.com

Not had an issue

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Optics Planet is a lot like Botach. If they have it in stock, you'll get it quickly at a good price.

If they don't have it in stock, you'll be stuck in backordered limbo for a long time with shitty communication, and may never get the product at all.

Always verify with their customer service that the item is actually in stock before buying. Or better yet, give your money to a different company that doesn't have such awful policies/practices and terrible communication/customer service.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only time I buy from OP is if I ask a CS Rep if the item is actually in stock.
Otherwise....You pay your money and take your chances.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Others have covered it pretty well, and the comparison with Botach is spot-on. So far, I'm "Oh-fer" with Optics Planet.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Optics Planet cheated me out of a return to them, $40, a long story, but , never will order from them again.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
I am surprised about this thread but glad to have read it.
I have had perfect dealings with them, many times, even on out of stock items. But to hear others negative experiences is a good warning.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All of this sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I have no intention of patronizing any business which elicits such a schizophrenic range of comments:

"I've had 647 orders with Optics Planet and they have all been flawless."

"I placed two orders with Optics Planet. The first one was OK but on the second one, I got screwed .

"Optics Planet are gangsters. They killed my puppy."

The clues are well ensconced, but not invisible.

Optics Planet = Botach except with better English

Posts: 107575 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I had a semi-OK experience. I blame myself for being too trusting.

About 10 years ago I ordered a new set of Binoculars from them. I needed them fast. I called and the lady confirmed they were in stock so I even paid the 2 day shipping premium. When they didn't arrive I called back. A different nice lady said the 2nd day service only applied to when they were shipped. They hadn't been "pulled" yet. On the bright side, I did get them before the boat left town. With a full day to spare, about 7 days after ordering.

So I'm a changed man. I've learned to ask all the questions and anticipate what could go wrong and who to contact when it does. I still don't trust anyone. Its why so many of us old guys prefer to pay a little more and then take the item home with us from the store.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My general impression of Optics Planet was negative, but not quite Botach-negative, so, when they offered a pre-sale on Vortex' new HWS, with a discount: I bit.

Finally it's released and... "What's this...???": People are getting them now, from other sources, and OP is still quoting lead times in terms of months.

Cancelled the order. OP will not likely get another chance. "Screw me once..."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Welcome to you as a relative newcomer.

You'll see this theme come up here enough that it's impossible to imagine anybody who has been around more than a few months using them for anything. Assuming you got a credit on card, no harm, but still a foul.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:Finally it's released and... "What's this...???": People are getting them now, from other sources, and OP is still quoting lead times in terms of months.

I think......OP has a small inventory of crap that is ready to ship. Anything else, they start shopping when you place your order. If they can't get it at a price they like, you are on BO forever.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:Finally it's released and... "What's this...???": People are getting them now, from other sources, and OP is still quoting lead times in terms of months.

I think......OP has a small inventory of crap that is ready to ship. Anything else, they start shopping when you place your order. If they can't get it at a price they like, you are on BO forever.

I seriously don't think they have any inventory at all. They just have their source drop ship it for them.

I placed maybe 2 or 3 orders with them several years ago. one was fast. The other was a wait of several months. Each month I'd get an email asking if I wanted to keep the order or cancel. As the price was low, I kept the order until they shipped.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post