SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why are ICU nurses such a pain to work with
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are ICU nurses such a pain to work with Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Yes, ICU nurses have a reputation for being bitchy and difficult to work with. I found out it's not just at work. My mom's currently in the ICU and I had to basically tell her nurse how to do his job tonight.

Granted, I work in a different world in the ER that moves at a much greater speed but what I saw tonight was just inexcusable. I go in to visit and she can't talk because she can't breathe. Literally gasping and using accessory muscles in the rib cage to breathe. I'm looking at the monitor and her heart rate is at 155, respiratory rate at 45, pressure at 110/70, but yet her O2 level is at 99% on 2L O2.

I told her to hit the call button and get a nurse in. First ICU nurse walks in, I explain that she's had a serious change in condition since yesterday, she's tachycardic and tachypnic. Nurse's response, "She's at 99%, she's fine." My response, "Look at your patient, not the monitor."

Long story short; after 2 different nurses, 4 ass chewings administered by me; 3 hours later with no change in condition, there was finally a doc in the room who ordered an EKG, chest x-ray, and dose of lasix which I had asked for in the beginning. An hour later she was finally put on a bipap machine to ease her breathing. Her vitals and condition are gradually improving but it was just unacceptable to take so long to try and reverse the situation. It's really scary to think what the outcome may have been if I wasn't there to advocate for her.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Yes, ICU nurses have a reputation for being bitchy and difficult to work with. I found out it's not just at work. My mom's currently in the ICU and I had to basically tell her nurse how to do his job tonight.

Granted, I work in a different world in the ER that moves at a much greater speed but what I saw tonight was just inexcusable. I go in to visit and she can't talk because she can't breathe. Literally gasping and using accessory muscles in the rib cage to breathe. I'm looking at the monitor and her heart rate is at 155, respiratory rate at 45, pressure at 110/70, but yet her O2 level is at 99% on 2L O2.

I told her to hit the call button and get a nurse in. First ICU nurse walks in, I explain that she's had a serious change in condition since yesterday, she's tachycardic and tachypnic. Nurse's response, "She's at 99%, she's fine." My response, "Look at your patient, not the monitor."

Long story short; after 2 different nurses, 4 ass chewings administered by me; 3 hours later with no change in condition, there was finally a doc in the room who ordered an EKG, chest x-ray, and dose of lasix which I had asked for in the beginning. An hour later she was finally put on a bipap machine to ease her breathing. Her vitals and condition are gradually improving but it was just unacceptable to take so long to try and reverse the situation. It's really scary to think what the outcome may have been if I wasn't there to advocate for her.

First, let me say how sorry I am for your mom and you for having to go through that MCF.

Many years ago our daughter was in a car wreck where she got hit head on by a drunk driver. She was in emergency room and was slowly dying of lack of oxygen, and internal bleeding. Her "doctor" was doing NOTHING. Fortunately for us, the ER head nurse called in another doctor who checked, then he and the nurse came to see us in the waiting room. Essentially, they asked for our permission to treat our daughter. We agreed and they jumped in and saved her life.

Turns out the first "doctor" was from one of those middle eastern countries and was up on charges from a previous MCF in which the patient had died.

Not to mention some of the "care" my grandson received when he was at Walter Reed! Both times!! The work done by those "experts" when he was shot in the face had to be completely removed and redone by the real doctors at Ft Bragg.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think it is often a matter of perspective. What the public, including non-ICU/CCU nurses, perceive as a serious issue is just not as serious to someone that sees it everyday and knows when to get concerned. When in the unit, it's all about getting the person stable and keeping them alive.

On the flip side, when it is their family member in the bed, they will react just like you. Most of them know they are doing it though.

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she’s at a shitty hospital. I have worked with plenty of ICU nurses who were world class. I have also worked with terrible ER nurses. It’s all a roll of the dice. Every profession has it’s duds. ICU vs ER is a tale as old as time.

I have worked at some world class hospitals and some not so much. A change in condition like that at a place like UPMC Presby would have had a resident in the room within 5 min and and ABG drawn within 10.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
As a prior ICU nurse, you sir did the correct thing by using your medical knowledge, assesment of the situation, and advocating for your mom.

ICU tends to attract the more controlling, OCD personalities overall. There are exceptions of course. Some of the nicest nurses Ive ever worked with worked along side me in the ICU, and I’ve also met some of the most toxic personalities there as well.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your mom!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are ICU nurses such a pain to work with.
Yes, ICU nurses have a reputation for being bitchy and difficult to work with.

Sorry about your mother. But, don't generalize. I've worked with many of the most caring ICU nurses.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter in law was a Pediatric ICU Nurse and now is a Hospice Nurse . I watched her in action when two close family members passed . Don't generalize .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My 18yo was in ICU this last week due to DKA, he has T1D. The nurses were great, my ex knows at least one of them due to her brother going to school with her.

Anyway....... 2000 you did the right thing but not all are bad

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You should feel lucky you even have ICU nurses.

Our "ICU" consists of one room and is only designated that because it is directly across from the nurses station. Our "ICU nurses" are mostly inept floor nurses who are scared shitless when I bring them a patient with an A-line.

Ah...the joys of a small town rural hospital. Count your blessings.

I generally agree though that most ICU nurses are a bit uppity and difficult to deal with. Most, however, are very good at their jobs.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I was married to an ICU nurse. She was always right. I’m glad you got them straightened out.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Literally gasping and using accessory muscles in the rib cage to breathe. I'm looking at the monitor and her heart rate is at 155, respiratory rate at 45, pressure at 110/70, but yet her O2 level is at 99% on 2L O2.

In my experience of many years and many hospitals, for a nurse not to look at the overall state of the patient but just to rely on the 99% oxygen sat--achieved at the cost of working her body to near death--would be extremely unusual.
Was this the night shift by any chance? Inexperienced nurses start there, nurses work out of night shift work as soon as they can if they're any good, IMO.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going through this now with my Mom. Only difference is I have NO medical experience so I'm behind the eight ball.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Was this the night shift by any chance? Inexperienced nurses start there, nurses work out of night shift work as soon as they can if they're any good, IMO.

Some prefer the night shift to avoid administrative types who care more about looking good than providing good care.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
Literally gasping and using accessory muscles in the rib cage to breathe. I'm looking at the monitor and her heart rate is at 155, respiratory rate at 45, pressure at 110/70, but yet her O2 level is at 99% on 2L O2.

In my experience of many years and many hospitals, for a nurse not to look at the overall state of the patient but just to rely on the 99% oxygen sat--achieved at the cost of working her body to near death--would be extremely unusual.

It’s the opposite in my experience. The smart nurses work nights, no admin, no rounds, less families messing with patients, less procedures, did I mention less admin?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Aug my sister had a brain aneurysm & was in a special ICU for brain trauma patients. We were told she'd have to be there for over a month. Her usual night time nurse was literally a life saver. All the others seemed clueless. Honestly believe it was that 1, caring & knowledgeable nurse that kept my sister alive. We owe her everything. We could tell, just by how my sister looked & acted if she had been the one caring for her.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry about your Mom, and you certainly did the right thing advocating for her. Sounds like her nurse was a bit of a moron. Actually, it sounds like IQ’s aren’t really much above room temp in that ICU. I hope she’s better and out of there soon.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
An elderly patient with serious and compounding issues alone in a hospital is doomed in many cases. We experienced more than one instance where had we not been advocating for my 80+ mother she'd have ended up in much worse shape, or dead.

Last time was when she very suddenly started talking all crazy a day or so after admit, couldn't focus or stay awake. After repeated attempts to get nurses to investigate beyond their assessment of it's just the med and she's just tired, finally got ahold of her doctor explained the situation and that I was calling 911 for a response to her room if he couldn't get some eyes on the situation. One CT later found that she had a massive intracranial bleed that nearly killed her and resulted in her being in ICU for a week post-surgery.

Not cool.

I know they are busy, but don't dismiss everybody else as an idiot so readily perhaps?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pray that your mother is doing better. You’re absolutely right to advocate for her, and based on everything you said, the nurse missed the mark seemingly because she relied only on values rather than assessing your mother.

I’d be mindful of painting with such a broad brush, though. It’s obvious from your posts that you work in the ED, perhaps in a nursing capacity? It’s a rivalry as old as modern medicine: ED vs. ICU nurses; ED docs vs. internists; night shift vs. day shift; etc.

Some of the best nurses I’ve ever worked with are ICU nurses: very intelligent, compassionate, and absolute advocates for their patients. Some of the worst nurses I’ve worked with were ICU nurses, as well: arrogant, entitled, gossipy, would rather manage their Air BnB than look at their patients. But I see that whole spectrum in all fields, whether it is on the Med/Surg Ward, Telemtry, PACU, or ED.

Again, I hope your mother is doing better. I’ll be sure to pray for her and your family when I go to church this morning.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Being responsible for your self and your loved ones doesn't stop when you/they go in for medical care. Take your eye off the ball at your own peril.

The docs and nurses are there to help, but they go home at the end of the day. And they are human. If something looks wrong, get involved. Sitting back and assuming everything's under control just because the sign on the building says "Hospital" is not good policy.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Now,imagine your one of us lay people...Or former medical persons,(former FF Medic of 27 yrs and Wife RN of 35 yrs experience ) who know quite a bit. We are ignored beyond belief. By just about everyone in the medical community. Told we are basically ignorant and can't believe our lying eyes as to what we know and see happening in front of us. It's getting to be quite the problem for patients everywhere.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post