SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Driving in the rain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving in the rain Login/Join 
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted
1. Drive carefully, not fearfully.
2. Turn off your damned hazard lights. Headlights on, hazards off. Where did you even learn to do that?

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
But the hazard lights form a magical force field that protects you from all. Right?

Drives me nuts.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The headlights thing drives me crazy(ier).

Dark day, dark car, dark road, raining/foggy. But hey, I can see where I'm going so I don't need no steenkin' headlights.

I flash at them and either get a blank look or sign language.

If I could, I'd give every one of them a ticket for Felony Dumbass.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
2. Turn off your damned hazard lights. Headlights on, hazards off. Where did you even learn to do that?

People don't believe it, but driving with your hazard lights on is illegal in Texas. They are only for cars that are not moving.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Felony Dumbass.

Sweet Jesus I wish this was a thing.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Felony Dumbass.

Sweet Jesus I wish this was a thing.

When I was stationed in Pensacola, I stood my military watches as Security Duty Officer. One of the full-time guys was an MA1 (Master-at-Arms, First Class - Navy version of an MP) who also moonlighted as an Escambia County Sheriff's Deputy.

He wanted two articles added to the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice - The basis of military law): Felony Dumbass and Stupid in Public. I told him the line for Captain's Mast would go clear around the block...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
The headlights thing drives me crazy(ier).

Dark day, dark car, dark road, raining/foggy. But hey, I can see where I'm going so I don't need no steenkin' headlights.

I flash at them and either get a blank look or sign language.

Driving in thick fog a couple hours after sunrise with a Felony Dumbass several car lengths behind me. A car at an intersection waits for me to pass and begins pulling out to make a left. The Felony Dumbass flashes his headlights to warn the other driver but keeps driving without his headlights.

I couldn't believe the arrogance/stupidity I just witnessed.

Just my humble opinion (though it was passed down to me by my Dad) but law enforcement and any work vehicle should make damned sure to be driving with their lights on in adverse conditions. Unfortunately, I've seen a great many of both who don't.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

People don't believe it, but driving with your hazard lights on is illegal in Texas. They are only for cars that are not moving.

Illegal in VA too, doesn't stop the idiots from doing it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You win the internet post of the month!

Is that citation before or after Double Secret Probation?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

I use them on the highway if there is say a crest, and right over the crest traffic is either stopped or slowed down significantly as in 30 mph or lower. I turn the hazards on as I don’t want someone slamming into the back of me. Once I see the drivers behind me slowing down I’ll turn them off. Saved my ass many a time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has been a few times traveling to work in Spotsy or later on in the Stafford area when it was raining hard enough that I turned on my hazards.

The same goes for traveling back and forth to Charlotte from Durham.

I remember a couple of Officers wrote a person a uniform citation for having their hazards on in the rain and the judge tossed it out instantly.

Virginia traffic code 46.2-1040 states

All four turn signals may be flashed simultaneously on a vehicle slowed or stopped at the scene of a traffic hazard, when traveling as part of a funeral procession, or when traveling at a speed of thirty miles per hour or less.

Except for vehicles traveling as part of a funeral procession, all four turn signals shall not be flashed simultaneously while the vehicle is traveling faster than thirty miles per hour.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
If not Felony Dumbass how about Aggravated Dumbass. Driving with 4way flahers is about as smart and legal as driving(moving) with parking lights activated. .......Yes I know people do it everyday and I have been guilty of doing it more than once. But that do not make it legal. Also in the state of Louisiana it is state law if wipers are activated the headlights must be turned on also. Just because you might be able to see what about
the other oncoming traffic that cannot see you untill it might be too late. ......................................drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I was driving on the turnpike in the hardest, most driven rain I have ever experienced. It was driving inside a dishwasher, windshield wipers were having almost no effect, I finally had to pull off to the side under an overpass for a time. There were quite a few people who went past me with their emergency flashers on. First time I had ever witnessed that.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use them on the highway if there is say a crest, and right over the crest traffic is either stopped or slowed down significantly as in 30 mph or lower. I turn the hazards on as I don’t want someone slamming into the back of me. Once I see the drivers behind me slowing down I’ll turn them off. Saved my ass many a time.

That's legal as traffic is stopping. In a road way stopping/stopped, off the roadway stopped. Acceptable in both cases. Not acceptable to be driving down the road with them on absent some other mitigating circumstance. I use the term acceptable as here in Missouri it isn't illegal.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having moved from St. Louis to Florida six years ago, that was the first time I was aware it wasn't legal to use hazards during storm or slow driving activity. In some areas, driving under 45, they're required. I was surprised by locals that were shocked by that. Guess it's whatever you're used to locally.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are a bunch of commuters that live 12 and 18 miles out of the big city .

If its a rainy ,dark dismal or overcastday , I stay home during the rush hours .

those commuters are horrible about refusing to use their headlights.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My car has daytime running lights, but they don't light up the rear or the dash. If it is raining hard enough to have to run wipers steady, even in daytime, it is usually too dark to see my dash, therefore is too dark for drivers behind me to see me.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Neat feature on my Ford truck.
If the wipers are on, the headlights and taillights come on too after a few seconds.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Serious question to which I don't know the answer:

I realize it's legal to drive with your flashers on, but why? What is the issue?

There's been numerous times I haven't been able to see the cars in front of me in the rain even with their taillights on. Their taillights just aren't bright enough. I've never had trouble seeing people with their flashers on.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might be misunderstanding the angst. I lived in the South for decades. Sometimes the sky would open up and literally the freeway became invisible. Immediately traffic slows because in the middle of this squall visibility is falling to almost nothing. I used to hit flashers on to raise my visibility. Others did as well and it was effective. I don’t give a shit if it’s technically illegal. It makes sense in crazy poor vis. If you guys are saying people are just driving around with emergency flashers on at all times for no reason that is strange. I’ve never really seen that 5hough.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post