SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife's teacher friend thinks life stops when going back to work
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife's teacher friend thinks life stops when going back to work Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by shooter1201:
First: Thank you, bendable.

Second: jijones: Thank a teacher that you are able to read, write, and formulate a cohesive thought. Thank a teacher for the veterinarian that you take your K9 to.

Here we go.

Would that be the same teachers in Baltimore who haven’t taught anyone to read or write in the last 3 years? Those teachers? I should thank them?? Why should I thank them? Should I be thanking the teachers who are indoctrinating our kids to be next generation lefties? Should I be thanking them??? The ones who are making kids write papers on why we should get rid of “assault weapons”? Should I be thanking them? Should I thank the teachers who are using their jobs as deviant sex shopping marts? Placing cameras in the bathrooms? Are those the ones I should be thanking? Tell me? Those? If you are going to defend it, you have to own it.

Standard union BS.

The next line when the whole “thank a teacher” thing wears thin with those paying the bills (you know, the peons who are actually expecting “education” in public education) all you do is claim that anyone who doesn’t fall in the company line “hates children”. It’s the teachers version of “racist”.

No thanks. Education will go on without public schools. Despite what you’ll be led to believe by those profiting from the scam. Those who chose the profession and are good at it will survive, and not only that, they’ll thrive. Those who cling to “thank a teacher” can work at McDonalds. It’s where they should have been in the first place instead of sucking the taxpayers dry.

Should I thank the teachers who educated this one?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9980057064

I think the taxpayers deserve a refund.

JLjones thank you I could not have said it better, and I have two aunts that were teachers when I was growing up and have seen first hand them push their views on students

Posts: 635 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Do you have teenagers tell you to go fuck yourself

Tell them to shut the fuck up.

I had an 18 year old student tell me I cannot tell him what to do. He wanted to leave and go home. Eventually he told me to Fuck off and left. As he was leaving I said Adios motherfucker. He ran right to the principal. I was not tenured. Guess who lost their job the next day?

I don't know of anyone who would tell a NUN to fuck off.....and live another day.

This.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
there are great teachers, good teacher's , mediocre teacher's and poor teacher's.

My beef isn't with teachers, per se, though that was the illustration I presented. My problem is with the entire education system. With few exceptions, I think it generally poor--particularly the public education system.

Btw: I taught in the U.S. Army for most of my three year hitch. (Was pretty good at it, too, by all accounts.) So I have some clue as to what teaching is about.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Public education in urban areas has seemed to turn into babysitting. Parent(s) want to get their little rats out of the house for 7-8 hours a day so the government provides childcare.

Amazing how so many public school teachers don't like charter schools. I wonder why...

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The amount of money in property taxes that I pay that go to the Broward School Board every single year is crazy. I don't even have kids and neither does a single one of my tenants.

Now this irks the shit out of me. For those that don't have kids in the public school system, why are they forced to pay property taxes into that system? That's basically robbery there.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
As a resident of the same state as JlJones and the grand father of three high school students in public schools I say amen brother.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I will never have 3 consecutive months off, let alone 3 months off every year.

That's worth something, and rarely weighted heavily when teachers bitch about pay or working conditions.

If I wanted to hike the John Muir Trail or the be Pacific Crest Trail, I'll have to wait until I'm independently wealthy, or wait until I'm in between jobs.

Also, if a teacher doesn't do a superb job with his or her students, he or she gets a new set of students next year. My career performance follows me forever.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
There shouldn't be public schools or teachers. Children should be given a series of tests. If they fail these tests, they are beaten. They'll figure it out.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
I said Adios motherfucker.

That's pretty awesome.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
A teacher's day doesn't start when little Johnny walks in the door, and it doesn't end when he gets on the bus.

I used to be a teacher. Other than lack of disciplined students, Lack of appropriate time to do shit was my biggest gripe. I legit was at school from 7am to 6pm every day...and I wasn’t a coach or involved in other activities.

My wife still teaches, she also coaches. I rarely see her during the school year before 8pm on week nights and during weekends she’s coaching.

Fucking teachers and their entitlements!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Public education in urban areas has seemed to turn into babysitting. Parent(s) want to get their little rats out of the house for 7-8 hours a day so the government provides childcare.

Amazing how so many public school teachers don't like charter schools. I wonder why...

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The amount of money in property taxes that I pay that go to the Broward School Board every single year is crazy. I don't even have kids and neither does a single one of my tenants.

Now this irks the shit out of me. For those that don't have kids in the public school system, why are they forced to pay property taxes into that system? That's basically robbery there.

$4100 of my $12,300 in property taxes this year, will go to the Broward County School Board. 1/3 of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other gem, is half of the kids down here go to private schools (which are all full with waiting lists) because the public school system is so bad here.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Touchy subject huh... Nothing to do with good or bad teachers, taxes, unions or private schools. I was simply saying someone has the mentality that they cant do anything else in life when they have to work.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Wow. Touchy subject huh... Nothing to do with good or bad teachers, taxes, unions or private schools. I was simply saying someone has the mentality that they cant do anything else in life when they have to work.

Some people are just that way in their mindset. I don't get it. The thing with teachers, is they have every single holiday on the calendar off, so a few times a month, they have days off where most other people working. Why can't they do things on those days as well as weekends?

posted Hide Post
Have a friend that teaches History in inner city Youngstown. Basically a shithole. I won't compare it to Detroit or Chicago but it's not very pleasant.
Kids that are gang members that show up sometimes until they are expelled. Barely any of them can read or write and when they do, it's comical to say the least.
During the Summer we grill, drink and have a good time. Once school starts, that's done until the weekends.
He talks to me because he's my friend and he can vent to me. I wouldn't want his job.
I talk to him and vent as a business owner. He doesn't want my job either.
He worked for GE until they shut the plant down. He said he'll never go back to factory work.
So he does what he does and I do what I do. All works out in the end.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are people who are equipped to do retail sales and there are people who are most definitely Not equipped to do retail,
same goes for teachers, cops, and concrete workers

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only in education is there such a thing as an EdD which is a doctorate in Education but not a PhD. EdD requires less work - more like an additional masters - than a PhD. Why would this one discipline have a watered down doctorate compared to every other discipline? Because a doctorate = more pay.

The problem with public schools in general is that compensation is tied only to seniority and not to actual performance. In virtually every other profession, there is some consideration of work performance. Time and degrees are the economic driver, not quality of performance. So some will slip by doing the bare minimum, especially in the worst districts.

I too get tired of the complaints. Most economic analyses I've seen of public school teacher salaries that takes into account the total value of the their compensation - salary, health insurance, pension, and other benefits shows that they are well compensated for their time. The real value of the pension and retirement health insurance many get is huge and when discounted to present value, equates to about the same as their annual salary. That means a teacher making $50K a year is earning pay and benefits with a present value of $100K a year.

The general rule is that if a procession is not paying enough relative to work requirements to keep its employees they will leave and do something else. Despite the complaints, public school teachers are not really leaving the profession in droves - attrition is actually very low. And private school teachers that make a lot less are always looking for the public school job that will increase their pay (a lot) and provide great benefits.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
The problem with public schools in general is that compensation is tied only to seniority and not to actual performance. In virtually every other profession, there is some consideration of work performance. Time and degrees are the economic driver, not quality of performance. So some will slip by doing the bare minimum, especially in the worst districts.

I too get tired of the complaints. Most economic analyses I've seen of public school teacher salaries that takes into account the total value of the their compensation - salary, health insurance, pension, and other benefits shows that they are well compensated for their time. The real value of the pension and retirement health insurance many get is huge and when discounted to present value, equates to about the same as their annual salary. That means a teacher making $50K a year is earning pay and benefits with a present value of $100K a year.

THIS and in order for a teacher here to get fired, they have to do something REALLY bad, such as sleep with a student. Barring that, the union protects them and so long as they show up to school every school day, they're guaranteed a job.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
A teacher's day doesn't start when little Johnny walks in the door, and it doesn't end when he gets on the bus.

I used to be a teacher. Other than lack of disciplined students, Lack of appropriate time to do shit was my biggest gripe. I legit was at school from 7am to 6pm every day...and I wasn’t a coach or involved in other activities.

My wife still teaches, she also coaches. I rarely see her during the school year before 8pm on week nights and during weekends she’s coaching.

My wife manages a couple departments for a hospital network. Her total compensation is a little higher than a teacher with similar years experience. She leaves before 7am most days and usually gets back home after 6pm. She only gets holidays if she can schedule them and she usually puts in hours on the weekend. She deals with asshole doctors and clueless administrators daily. She doesn’t piss and moan about it every day the way so many of these incredibly noble teachers do.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The two national teacher's unions we have are the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers. Check out their web sites and see what you think. (Hint: take your BP meds first).

The first year that I taught (1970), a fellow teacher approached me about joining the NEA. She said she was looking for 100% participation.

Me: How many people have you asked?
Her: You're number five.
Me: Well, I think I can remove a little stress from your life. There's no way I'll join. That 100% is off the table.
Her: (offended/agitated) So, I guess you'll just go along for a free ride.
Me: (offering her my 'social finger') You can take a free ride on this, honey.

She reported me and I got called into the office. The principal looked at me and started laughing.

After that, I was known as the free ride guy. They would point at me at meetings and say, "Hey, there's that free ride guy." Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:

My wife manages a couple departments for a hospital network. Her total compensation is a little higher than a teacher with similar years experience. She leaves before 7am most days and usually gets back home after 6pm. She only gets holidays if she can schedule them and she usually puts in hours on the weekend. She deals with asshole doctors and clueless administrators daily. She doesn’t piss and moan about it every day the way so many of these incredibly noble teachers do.

Sounds like your wife made a shitty career choice and is just happy with it lol.

I quit teaching to have a better quality of life. Who’s pissing and moaning? I’m not.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

"Hey, there's that free ride guy." Big Grin
Outstanding!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post