SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife's teacher friend thinks life stops when going back to work
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife's teacher friend thinks life stops when going back to work Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
First: Thank you, bendable.

Second: jijones: Thank a teacher that you are able to read, write, and formulate a cohesive thought. Thank a teacher for the veterinarian that you take your K9 to.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chose my profession because I liked the work, it had nothing to do with salary. I happen to be good at what I do and that brings me satisfaction. I did not make much money working for someone else and did not enjoy being directed. I went into business for myself, which allowed for self direction and the potential to make more money.

I see people all the time that complain about salary. Many times they simply do not like the profession they chose. I also people who make high six figures and hate every day they have to work.

It is all about choice. It is no secret that teachers and folks in law enforcement are not highly paid.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shooter1201:
First: Thank you, bendable.

Second: jijones: Thank a teacher that you are able to read, write, and formulate a cohesive thought. Thank a teacher for the veterinarian that you take your K9 to.

Here we go.

Would that be the same teachers in Baltimore who haven’t taught anyone to read or write in the last 3 years? Those teachers? I should thank them?? Why should I thank them? Should I be thanking the teachers who are indoctrinating our kids to be next generation lefties? Should I be thanking them??? The ones who are making kids write papers on why we should get rid of “assault weapons”? Should I be thanking them? Should I thank the teachers who are using their jobs as deviant sex shopping marts? Placing cameras in the bathrooms? Are those the ones I should be thanking? Tell me? Those? If you are going to defend it, you have to own it.

Standard union BS.

The next line when the whole “thank a teacher” thing wears thin with those paying the bills (you know, the peons who are actually expecting “education” in public education) all you do is claim that anyone who doesn’t fall in the company line “hates children”. It’s the teachers version of “racist”.

No thanks. Education will go on without public schools. Despite what you’ll be led to believe by those profiting from the scam. Those who chose the profession and are good at it will survive, and not only that, they’ll thrive. Those who cling to “thank a teacher” can work at McDonalds. It’s where they should have been in the first place instead of sucking the taxpayers dry.

Should I thank the teachers who educated this one?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9980057064

I think the taxpayers deserve a refund.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jljones: Who peed in your Cheerios?

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, I see. If I call out public education for what it is, there has to be something wrong with me. Unstable, even. I have to be "angry".

It's a much easier path to claim your opponent is angry or unstable. Much easier. You don't have to address what facts are brought to bear.

It is time for public education to go. If you can't or won't see it, you are the problem.

You didn't answer? Should I be thanking that list of teachers that I wrote out? It's amazing you NEVER hear of that sort of stuff in charter schools. All of the good teachers could really do some good with the public school bullshit removed. But, hmmmmmmmmm, I should thank a teacher instead of demanding that the private sector could educate my kids better with my tax money.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me aside from being fed up like any other taxpayer at the joke public education has become, and the ones who could change things keep silent to keep the money turned on. I would like to be able to draw my pension one day without the teachers draining what’s left of the fund. For all the ones who supposedly are so educated, they just don’t seem to be smart enough to see when the money is gone, the checks stop coming. But ANYONE who calls for accountability gets told “thank a teacher”.

(We all know what their answer is....more taxpayer money because if you don’t, you hate kids)

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see it and tend to agree with jljones. The amount of money in property taxes that I pay that go to the Broward School Board every single year is crazy. I don't even have kids and neither does a single one of my tenants.

That being said, the quality of education is nothing near what it used to be. Not only that, gone are all of the high school classes that actually taught high schoolers how to actually function in the real world.....home ec, auto mechanics, etc. Classes that taught kids how to do laundry, or balance a check book, or change a flat tire. Then cursive is now not being taught in school??? The whole, nobody left behind BS. Some kids simply have no interest in learning, don't apply themselves, and don't care and you're going to slow the entire class down for one of them?

I have the utmost respect for GOOD teachers, but in the public school system (at least here), those tend to be the exception and not the norm. Funny thing is, most of the private schools pay teachers less than the public schools, but the teachers at the private schools making less money with less benefits as a whole, are a hell of a lot better teachers.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I agree with jljones and I taught chemistry in the public school system for seven years.

It's time to shut it down and go to vouchers.

Here's my hero Dr. Thomas Sowell's take:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/UWVNXfJfXDY

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we're looking at this all wrong. Maybe the teacher is really busy with afterschool care with ONE of her "pet" students. It seems to be very common with teachers Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Congratulations, you just proved jljones' point by emulating Kaitlin's interviewee.

I have watched the public education system slowly sink into abject mediocrity--all the while demanding more and more from the taxpayers. Used to be I wouldn't hesitate to vote for school funding. No more. Now it's only throwing good money after bad.

Example: Teacher I know recently posted an article from an "education expert" (PhD and all) about how it was more important to value children than to teach them. Value them and learning would follow. My friend asked other teachers what they thought of it. They all chimed in in agreement. I replied "It's contentless bullshit. The 'expert' has it exactly backwards. You value children by teaching them."

Not a single one of those teachers had a reply.

Not. A. Penny. More.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some are painting with a very broad brush. If one is bad they all are...

There are thousands of public schools across the country, tens of thousands of teachers and millions of students. The vast majority are doing good to exceptional work. Effective learning requires work from both the teacher and the student, it is a cooperative effort. Where one lacks the other has to make it up.

We have a generation of parents that want to be “friends” with their kids. The kids can do no wrong, the teachers nothing right.

Yes, there are places like Baltimore where SOME schools are little more than daycare for delinquents. One school like this does not mean they are all like this.

Yes, I have been a welder, machinist, woodworker, mechanic and a teacher.

As a teacher I have both loved it and hated it.

No, it is not about the money.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some are painting with a very broad brush.

I call it lumping,

just like l.e.o.'s, fire fighters and yes, even those in the military ,

there are great teachers, good teacher's , mediocre teacher's and poor teacher's.

along with those that work hard in the system and those that just work the system.

and the same goes for students

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
There are thousands of public schools across the country, tens of thousands of teachers and millions of students. The vast majority are doing good to exceptional work.

I disagree. When I was in high school, most of the teachers were just going through the motions. It was VERY obvious that they were only interested in putting their time in and collecting a paycheck. Many of them spent half the class time or more just bs-ing with students. And this was 30 years ago. It’s no wonder that so many students graduate high school and can’t even read.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
PS: some of us DON'T work in public education and DON'T have a union.

Some of us work where the parents pay upwards of $40k/year, in addition to whatever their property taxes are.

I still work hard, but, for the most part, my kids are all generally polite and I don't have to worry about being assaulted by any of them. They're just grouchy teenagers--and I'm very lucky for that, unlike many in the public system. I work in La La Land, as far as I'm concerned. (But I also get paid substantially less than the public school teachers in the surrounding districts.)

I usually work around a 9 hour day...on days when I don't have to stay for some event in the evening. It's not unusual that I do two 14 hour days a week, plus the 9 hour days, during certain times of the year. Those things are just expected and are not compensated, aside from maybe a free dinner.

I do it for less than my public school counterparts and way less than I would make doing some other job. But I like what I do, so it's fine.

Teaching is a lot more akin to nursing and police work than you might think.

They're underpaid and undervalued relative to the service they provide society and the hours they work; the people you interact with don't want you to interact with them and will resist your authority; they will usually try to get away with whatever they can; they aren't respected by their bosses; administrative policies always trickle down in the most negative ways and hamper your job; you can't just tell someone to "shut the fuck up" because you're always under scrutiny and can get fired for just about anything.

It's an old saw, but if you haven't done it, you don't understand it. People complain about cops all the time without remotely understanding how hard their job is. Teaching is no different: it's easy to criticize if you've only ever been a student.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I would say is if you pick many occupations, there are all kinds of preconceived ideas of what it is like to work in that occupation. But then if you get to know someone who works in that occupation, many of your preconceived notions turn out to be wrong.
I agree with Bendable: "there are great teachers, good teacher's , mediocre teacher's and poor teacher's along with those that work hard in the system and those that just work the system

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We pulled our kids out of public school.

I'll take vouchers any day and twice on Sunday.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Oh, I see. If I call out public education for what it is, there has to be something wrong with me. Unstable, even. I have to be "angry".
Yeah, that is the typical Leftist argument 'you disagree, so you must be irrational / angry'.

Then again most educators are liberals / leftists, so its not surprising.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
We pulled our kids out of public school.

I'll take vouchers any day and twice on Sunday.

If I could afford to do it I would. If I could spend my tax money on someplace that isn't just an power empire, I would.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If I could afford to do it I would. If I could spend my tax money on someplace that isn't just an power empire, I would.

Well, we went to virtual school from home, thankfully it's free in Florida. You still have the same general classes but it takes my kids 2-3 hrs a day, TOPs to complete plus we see a lot more of what is going on.

And the teachers (who also work from home and hold virtual classes, question periods) are much happier too.

I looked a private school but unless you have lots of money or can get 47 of your closest friends to attest for your religious virtue, it's outta reach.

posted Hide Post
My wife of 22 years has been an elementary school teacher for her entire career in the same county. She actually makes good money now.

I've met mid-career change folks who left a job field so they could kick back for the summer and have a 3/4 teacher job for full-time pay. At least half could not hack it. For example, working with entitled kids and their parents: "I home-schooled for 2 years and my little Johnnie is special and needs complete freedom to grow, so he might not fit the norms of normal teaching and should be accommodated accordingly" And "my little Sarah is an angel everywhere but here, so you and the little criminals running around must be the problem."

Mostly my wife has worked in Title 1 schools with most kids on free or reduced lunch and speakers of other language. Their parents, actually, for the most part respect teachers.

Anyhow. If a person is not cut out to be a teacher, they usually grind to a halt pretty quickly...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

It's an old saw, but if you haven't done it, you don't understand it. People complain about cops all the time without remotely understanding how hard their job is. Teaching is no different: it's easy to criticize if you've only ever been a student.

So, let me see if I have this right, and if I'm not, please correct me.

My job has me in and out of schools every so often investigating teachers, and school threats. I SEE the school board trying to raise taxes constantly so they can have more and more money. I SEE the poor performance of the system every day in the interactions I have with people. I SEE the teachers leaving the kids in the lurch to go protest. I SEE the teachers screaming "NO NO NO YOU HATE KIDS." when they are asked to make reasonable accommodations to the pension system so the rest of us can draw a check. I see teachers being arrested constantly for sexual abuse, drug dealing, etc all while at school. I have children who are in the system, and I can see how poor an education they are getting.

And because I'm not a teacher, I am too dumb to understand what I'm seeing? That somehow if I were a teacher I would be view this differently?

I think I may have identified the problem.

www.opspectraining.com