SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wife's teacher friend thinks life stops when going back to work
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife's teacher friend thinks life stops when going back to work Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I laughed out loud at the gym when I saw this and thought of this thread. It probably tells the tale of why teachers never mention charter schools.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
After that, I was known as the free ride guy. They would point at me at meetings and say, "Hey, there's that free ride guy." Big Grin

A slight drift.....

I was a "free ride guy", too. I refused to join our Union in Pennsylvania - AFSCME - simply because the union ALWAYS supported with $$$$$ whoever was on the Democrat voting ticket. "Fair share" money was taken out of my pay check, however.

This issue eventually went thru the state legal system and those of us who got a "free ride", also got a nice refund check from AFSCME.

Some time later we changed Unions.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Teachers are not under paid. Supply is high - lots of new teachers graduate every year. Supply is high, so pay is lower than other jobs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Teachers are not under paid. Supply is high - lots of new teachers graduate every year. Supply is high, so pay is lower than other jobs.

Wait a minute... are you saying "supply and demand" is in play here? Please don't say the law of economics 101 also applies to teachers. Lol

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Wait a minute... are you saying "supply and demand" is in play here? Please don't say the law of economics 101 also applies to teachers. Lol
When the economy took a dump in '08, the schools in Houston were overwhelmed with applications. The stability of a tenured job was quite appealing, and if you already have a college degree you can be teaching in a matter of months through the alternative certification program.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
A teacher's day doesn't start when little Johnny walks in the door, and it doesn't end when he gets on the bus.

I used to be a teacher. Other than lack of disciplined students, Lack of appropriate time to do shit was my biggest gripe. I legit was at school from 7am to 6pm every day...and I wasn’t a coach or involved in other activities.

My wife still teaches, she also coaches. I rarely see her during the school year before 8pm on week nights and during weekends she’s coaching.

Fucking teachers and their entitlements!

My wife manages a couple departments for a hospital network. Her total compensation is a little higher than a teacher with similar years experience. She leaves before 7am most days and usually gets back home after 6pm. She only gets holidays if she can schedule them and she usually puts in hours on the weekend. She deals with asshole doctors and clueless administrators daily. She doesn’t piss and moan about it every day the way so many of these incredibly noble teachers do.

Sounds like your wife made a shitty career choice and is just happy with it lol.

I quit teaching to have a better quality of life. Who’s pissing and moaning? I’m not.

I didn’t say every single teacher is pissing and moaning, I said “so many.” And she made a great career choice. She’s great at what she does and makes good money (that’s where the similar years of experience come in to play). She doesn’t piss and moan, she kicks ass and takes names. You quitting teaching to have a better quality of life puts you far above the ones I’m talking about. Glad you made the right choice for you.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
A teacher's day doesn't start when little Johnny walks in the door, and it doesn't end when he gets on the bus.

I used to be a teacher. Other than lack of disciplined students, Lack of appropriate time to do shit was my biggest gripe. I legit was at school from 7am to 6pm every day...and I wasn’t a coach or involved in other activities.

My wife still teaches, she also coaches. I rarely see her during the school year before 8pm on week nights and during weekends she’s coaching.

Fucking teachers and their entitlements!

My wife manages a couple departments for a hospital network. Her total compensation is a little higher than a teacher with similar years experience. She leaves before 7am most days and usually gets back home after 6pm. She only gets holidays if she can schedule them and she usually puts in hours on the weekend. She deals with asshole doctors and clueless administrators daily. She doesn’t piss and moan about it every day the way so many of these incredibly noble teachers do.

Sounds like your wife made a shitty career choice and is just happy with it lol.

I quit teaching to have a better quality of life. Who’s pissing and moaning? I’m not.

I didn’t say every single teacher is pissing and moaning, I said “so many.” And she made a great career choice. She’s great at what she does and makes good money (that’s where the similar years of experience come in to play). She doesn’t piss and moan, she kicks ass and takes names. You quitting teaching to have a better quality of life puts you far above the ones I’m talking about. Glad you made the right choice for you.

Glad to hear she’s doing well. Sorry if my reply came off douchy. I’m also spending my days in hospitals with doctors and nurses.

Just for the record, I’d rather work 12 hours 7 days a week dealing with difficult health care providers than ever deal with asshole kids and parents ever again Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by shooter1201:
jljones: Who peed in your Cheerios?

Oh, I see. If I call out public education for what it is, there has to be something wrong with me. Unstable, even. I have to be "angry".

It's a much easier path to claim your opponent is angry or unstable. Much easier. You don't have to address what facts are brought to bear.

It is time for public education to go. If you can't or won't see it, you are the problem.

You didn't answer? Should I be thanking that list of teachers that I wrote out? It's amazing you NEVER hear of that sort of stuff in charter schools. All of the good teachers could really do some good with the public school bullshit removed. But, hmmmmmmmmm, I should thank a teacher instead of demanding that the private sector could educate my kids better with my tax money.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me aside from being fed up like any other taxpayer at the joke public education has become, and the ones who could change things keep silent to keep the money turned on. I would like to be able to draw my pension one day without the teachers draining what’s left of the fund. For all the ones who supposedly are so educated, they just don’t seem to be smart enough to see when the money is gone, the checks stop coming. But ANYONE who calls for accountability gets told “thank a teacher”.

(We all know what their answer is....more taxpayer money because if you don’t, you hate kids)

I sent me Daughter to private school for this very reason. I paid twice once for the failed public school system and once for the no bullshit private system. best thing I ever did.

My ex golf buddy was a union teacher all he ever talked about was how he was constantly screwing the system. He could care less about the kids, We got in Numerous fights on the golf course about this and I just decided I could no longer deal with it. I'm a product of the public school system and my writing skills prove it.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two points I will offer. Parents should be able to direct their tax dollars to the school of choice, Ie vouchers/charters etc. Education or lack thereof would unfuck itself if capitalism and choice entered the fray.

Second, those of you with no kids pay taxes for education along with an entire laundry list of things you don’t actually need but your taxes go towards. I would politely suggest that the education and socialization of the little potential shithead/meth head/terrorist/banger living next door is the least onerous use of these taxes that you have little control over. Just a thought. Civilization vs Lord of the Flies type stuff.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Civilization vs Lord of the Flies type stuff.

Horseshit. Because it was just "Lord of the Flies" without the gooberment not "educating" kids...
We need them to run the healthcare system too.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The government could fuck up a steel ball with a rubber mallet.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Missing the point guys. I had 2 points. Parents should be allowed to pick the educational system they want with the tax dollars. You get government and government employee unions out of the business of education.

You are going to pay taxes for schooling period. It isn’t a debate you will win. Taking that money out of the government hands and back into the parents who more times than not will choose a school that works.

Pick a school that is aligned with your priorities. Which for me is easy. Heavy on education. No indoctrination. Pretty simple.

My reference to the Lord of the Flies was to point out that you are going to pay for your neighbors kids to be educated whether you think it’s fair or not. Just like you will pay for the Air Force even if you are a pacifist. Parents however should be able to use those funds for a better education minus the social inputs that govt intervention seems to favor nowadays. Vouchers, charter schools etc. Ideally public schools would eventually go away. As would bloated budgets that don’t improve the experience whatsoever. No teachers unions, no bloated county board of education bureaucracy.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are going to pay taxes for schooling period. It isn’t a debate you will win. Taking that money out of the government hands and back into the parents who more times than not will choose a school that works.

Parents, the biggest "free shit" crowd of all.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Well it seems obvious to you and me, but those knuckleheads think that there is some rule about how pay is related to how "valuable" or "hard" the work is.

If it is about how demanding the job is, those poor saps framing houses in Houston in August ought to be earning $200K a year. Now that is hard work. Those guys work six or seven days a week, ten or twelve hours a day.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I don't know of anyone who would tell a NUN to fuck off.....and live another day.

Private school vs public school. Guess where almost every teacher around here sends their kids.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:

Parents, the biggest "free shit" crowd of all.
^^ THIS ^^

I have zero kids, but every year 1.28% of my home’s assessed value goes to the local school district. That’s $1,280 per $100k of assessed home value for absolutely zero benefit to me and people like me (childless or empty nesters). Trust me, I’d rather spend a week or two on a tropical island every year than subsidize some big thumbed sex trophy’s indoctrination.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^

I agree and I have 3 kids now in public schools and private before that.

I'd rather we all had the tax dollars back and those with kids can pay to send them where they want.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post