SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Don’t know what this is (garage related) HELP
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Don’t know what this is (garage related) HELP Login/Join 
posted
Kind folks of sigforum. Please help. What is this. How do I get it off. Before it drives me nuts.

image hosting private

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like a screw through the lock arm to me. Prior owner disabled it to prevent accidentally locking it?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
It's a lock out screw to prevent the garage door lock from being engaged when using an electric door opener. Should just back out using a socket, looks like 5/16".

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
It's a lock out screw to prevent the garage door lock from being engaged when using an electric door opener. Should just back out using a socket, looks like 5/16".

I’m not handy. But I can assure you. It won’t back out. I’ve tried eveything.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Remove the entire assembly from the door. Visegrips on the head, break it off, as if you were trying to unscrew it. Break off other end same way. File/grind both sides flat.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's made of soft metal. Take a drill slightly larger than the portion screwed through the bar. Drill the head (use a punch to center the drill) until you're through the bar.

Then find out why the previous owner installed it in the first place. Get a slightly larger tap and bolt.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some openers will damage or be damaged if the lock engages the door and then the opener is energized.

The screw prevents it from being engaged, other people wrap them with wire or tie straps. The bolt is more likely to not fail.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But if you need to lock the door. What would you do?

That comment about taking it off and figuring out why it went on was not lost on me......

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
My solution lacks, hmm, sublety. I say hit it with an 8# sledgehammer, repeatedly if needed.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:

That comment about taking it off and figuring out why it went on was not lost on me......

Using the locking mechanism and the remote door opener are not mutually exclusive, mechanically. They're only mutually exclusive because of the human condition.

Because you are human, if you want to continue to use your remote garage door opener, then you do NOT want to remove the screw. Eventually you will fuck up your remote garage door opener if you do remove it.

If you never again plan to use your remote garage door opener (ie: it's broken/burned out, or you remove it), then go ahead and remove the screw. This will enable you to use the locking mechanism at will.

But if you remove the screw thinking "I'm smart enough to NEVER try to use the remote garage door opener when the locking arm is engaged!", then you will eventually have a very unpleasant surprise when you forget that you locked the garage door, or if someone else locks the garage door without you knowing about it.

It's only money. Go ahead and try to be perfect, NOT human, and see what happens. Maybe you're better than the rest of us. . .

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:

Using the locking mechanism and the remote door opener are not mutually exclusive, mechanically. They're only mutually exclusive because of the human condition.

Because you are human, if you want to continue to use your remote garage door opener, then you do NOT want to remove the screw. Eventually you will fuck up your remote garage door opener if you do remove it.

If you never again plan to use your remote garage door opener (ie: it's broken/burned out, or you remove it), then go ahead and remove the screw. This will enable you to use the locking mechanism at will.

But if you remove the screw thinking "I'm smart enough to NEVER try to use the remote garage door opener when the locking arm is engaged!", then you will eventually have a very unpleasant surprise when you forget that you locked the garage door, or if someone else locks the garage door without you knowing about it.

It's only money. Go ahead and try to be perfect, NOT human, and see what happens. Maybe you're better than the rest of us. . .

God I love honesty.

Now I can not think about it.... ever again.

Thank you to everyone.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Does it turn but not back out, or does it not turn?

Posts: 27953 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Tanerite.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
It's self tapping and stripped. You need something behind it to put pressure against it pushing out while you ratchet on it from the other side.

I would try a small piece of plywood and a steel flat bar. Once it gets a grip again it will continue on its own.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:

When I go out of town, I bolt my garage door and unlock the garage door opener from the carrier so it cannot try to open the door in case I have a senile moment.

OP, if you hit that bolt with a 1/4" impact driver it should unscrew it right out. OR, just unbolt the entire lock and replace it. Those locking bolt mechanisms are like $20 and will save you a lot of time and headache if you can't get the bolt out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When we left home for a while, vacation etc., I would use the garage door locking thingy and disengage (or turn power off) the garage door opener

Not 100% foolproof, but fairly foolresistant.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I had a co-worker that had some bad neighbors so he used a storage oscilloscope to store the signal of the neighbors garage door openers.

Then he played games with their mind by opening the garage door at times. One neighbor even replaced his system thinking it was defective. Big Grin

I put a key lock on my garage door and don't even use the garage door openers.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Unless you need to latch the garage door with that slide, leave it alone and move on to the other OCD projects surely lurking inside.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Take the latch off and go buy another one. They are all the same and Lowes and Home Depot carry them. I think they are under Ten bucks.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Unless you need to latch the garage door with that slide, leave it alone and move on to the other OCD projects surely lurking inside.

We can be friends.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member