SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Uber can bite me!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uber can bite me! Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have never had an Uber or Lyft account. I took an Uber ride once, with a client to lunch in San Francisco 3 years ago and it was her account. We waited 20 minutes for the ride, and took a cab back to the hotel.

I almost never get into a situation when I can't drive myself. The rare times I don't is when both my wife and I need a ride to the airport, and then we use a shuttle. When we vacation, I always get a rental car or use the hotel shuttles or cabs.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have never had an Uber or Lyft account. I took an Uber ride once, with a client to lunch in San Francisco 3 years ago and it was her account. We waited 20 minutes for the ride, and took a cab back to the hotel.

I almost never get into a situation when I can't drive myself. The rare times I don't is when both my wife and I need a ride to the airport, and then we use a shuttle. When we vacation, I always get a rental car or use the hotel shuttles or cabs.

I've had a car since I was 16. I don't do this riding in cars with strangers thing you all are speaking of. Big NOPE.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The passenger is precharged for the tollroad when you book so the driver is pocketing the toll. I asked one of the drivers who did get on the tollroad and he called the other drivers shortsighted idiots who were penny wise and pound foolish since they could be making more money by providing more rides instead of pissing away time over $2 or $3.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The passenger is precharged for the tollroad when you book so the driver is pocketing the toll. I asked one of the drivers who did get on the tollroad and he called the other drivers shortsighted idiots who were penny wise and pound foolish since they could be making more money by providing more rides instead of pissing away time over $2 or $3.

I've never seen it pre-charged. If you're on the toll rd, it should only charge for the tolls you actually pass through.
Now, on something like the Hardy or BW8, where it's possible to parallel a few booths, I could see it 'thinking' you were on the actual toll rd & charging for tolls not taken.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I've used Uber several times here in H-town, and no problems so far. Knock on wood.
You're lucky then.

A couple months back, I had 3 business trips in 6 weeks and took Uber to the airport for all 3. 4 out of 6 legs, the driver refused to get on the Hardy Toll Road (i.e. the route I agreed to when I clicked to book) and instead wound down city streets parallel to the Hardy. Every one of them had a toll tag on windshield too. Turning 25 minute drives into 45 to 60 minutes would normally just be an annoyance, but one return trip my back was killing me and taking his roundabout route meant the chiropractor closed and I suffered an additional 16 hours. I've complained to Uber and was jerked around through endless e-mails (the person responding obviously has never read the previous e-mails in the chain), and ultimately they say it didn't cost me any money.

It's rather short sighted on the driver's part as they're pocketing $2 or $3 in tolls but doubling the amount of time trips take meaning they can't take as many trips.

The last trip, I registered for Lyft while riding in the back seat of the Uber and plan to try Lyft for future trips to the airport.

Refusing to use the toll roads is bizarre.
The passenger gets charged for the tolls, so it's a wash to the driver.

I'm not sure what was wrong with tatortodd's drivers, but every single one of my Uber driver went through the toll gates (twice each).

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've never seen it pre-charged. If you're on the toll rd, it should only charge for the tolls you actually pass through.
Now, on something like the Hardy or BW8, where it's possible to parallel a few booths, I could see it 'thinking' you were on the actual toll rd & charging for tolls not taken.
Before you accept/books, it shows you a route and when the route includes a toll it's factored in the price. If they dodge the tolls they pocket the money.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Before you accept/books, it shows you a route and when the route includes a toll it's factored in the price. If they dodge the tolls they pocket the money.

No, they show you the price for the route. It's not pre-charging anything. It's not set in stone. If he ended up taking a different route, then the final charge will be different. One of my experience: Price was shown for route. I booked. As the ride neared home, driver was about to take the pre-determined route, which was a little longer. I showed him the shorter route, which he took. I ended up paying slightly less. Their machinery calculate everything. These guys cannot "pocket" anything, unless you give them cash tip on the side.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, they show you the price for the route. It's not pre-charging anything. It's not set in stone. If he ended up taking a different route, then the final charge will be different. One of my experience: Price was shown for route. I booked. As the ride neared home, driver was about to take the pre-determined route, which was a little longer. I showed him the shorter route, which he took. I ended up paying slightly less. Their machinery calculate everything. These guys cannot "pocket" anything, unless you give them cash tip on the side.
No, going less miles is different than tolls. I've taken a lot more Ubers than the 6 I wrote about. The tolls are built into the price they show you, and I've even asked good Uber drivers why others would parallel the toll road on the surface streets and the answer was they're pocketing the toll.

To quote Uber's website:
quote:
Do riders pay tolls or surcharges?
Additional charges may apply to your trip, including tolls, surcharges, or other fees. These charges are automatically added to your trip fare.

Please note that charges added to your trip fare may not exactly match the amount paid by your driver. For example, you may be assessed a surcharge when a driver pays a toll when returning to your city of origin, or for pickups or drop-offs at an airport.

You may also be charged the standard amount of a toll when the driver is entitled to a discount because they are in a High Occupancy Vehicle lane, driving an electric vehicle, or using a transponder. In some cities, tolls and surcharges reflect an estimate. This is due to fluctuations in the amount actually paid. You may also pay an additional charge to your driver for other costs or inconveniences, such as a parking fee to enter a venue or a long return trip after arrival at your final destination.

Depending on the charge and location, these additional charges may be retained by your driver, paid by your driver to Uber, or passed through to the airport or other third parties.
They're putting the standard toll in the estimate and when the guy parallels the toll road he's being paid for tolls because it looks like he is on the toll road to them.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ok, what Todd is saying makes sense, and unethical, IMO.
Taking a toll route & paralleling the toll rd to cheat the rider out of money I agree is wrong.

Prior to the last couple posts, I thought the point being made was that the rider was being charged for tolls regardless of the route.
Keeping with the Houston analogy. From the Woodlands to IAH. I'd expect 2 tolls from the Hardy toll rd & airport connector. But taking I45 to BW8, longer distance but no tolls. Might work out to a wash as a Uber passenger.

Given where the toll booths are in the above scenario, it shouldn't be possible to cheat a rider out of the toll portion, as the surface streets don't parallel the toll rds where the toll booths are located.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given where the toll booths are in the above scenario, it shouldn't be possible to cheat a rider out of the toll portion, as the surface streets don't parallel the toll rds where the toll booths are located.
I’ve googled it and there are complaints across US in big cities with toll roads. Apparently, the glitch drivers have discovered is their route just needs to parallel the tollway (winding back and forth across it works too) and they’ll get the toll money. Sounds like Uber is programmed for the segment having the toll not the actual toll booth locations.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Right, I can see that happening.
Even Waze/Google maps in my car gets confused at times on whether I'm on the highway or feeder roads. Uber's driver app navigation is even less precise.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:"Uber has been more useless than Hillary Clinton at an NRA convention."

"I'm beginning to think Uber may be the biggest case of vehicular fraud since Chappaquiddick."

Thanks for the laughs and for the heads up! If your day job goes bad, you can at least fall back onto comedy. Good stuff.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use both with similar experience with both. Actually find Lyft has been slightly cheaper on occasion.
Like others have said many drivers work both and I've had almost all say they prefer Lyft and that Uber has jacked them around in some way.
The Catch 22 for me is that Lyft added Valerie Jarrett to their Board of Directors. I don't let that dictate how I live my life but I really do despise her.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
This summer we took a Uber to the airport. It was a compact. I ended up with a suitcase on my lap. The driver was very apologetic and promised her spouse would pick us up with the bigger car. Two weeks later, at zero dark thirty, her spouse picked us up...in the same car.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I’ve probably have used uber 100 times without any isuees. The closest was a car that smelled like smoke. I use Lyft too. I was just at a cardiology conference in Vegas and used uber exclusively. My last day I got picked up in a gorgeous new Lincoln Continental and got me to the airport in under 15 min for $12. A taxi the last time I was there was $39 for the same trip. You say fuck uber I say fuck taxis

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post