SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    App development & end users
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

App development & end users Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Software development is nearly as thankless an occupation as any. I did it in a corporate environment for 30 years. We'd get detailed requirements then design everything around those. You'd then get someone who had NO input into the requirements raise holy hell and trash the software with his whole department because some color used wasn't compatible with his sensitivities. Always treat it as a learning experience. Next time you can approach it with a different model. Maybe release a lite version first and use that as the stepping stone to go forward.

And yeah, I did screw that die down and it's working much better, so thanks. Maybe you'll feel better in the morning.

Glad to hear your die situation has been resolved.

I hope I feel better in the morning.

I'm not looking for thanks, just looking to not be shit on, I suppose. Oh well. Perhaps the next app will go better. LOL

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
the magazine idea is great. have you reached out to some of the bigger blogs etc? I would try people like Jon Patton at the gun collective, he has a large following and he reloads. He is a good friend of mine if you want me to get you in touch. also, one of my clients owns a company called REGO Apps. He came out with a police scanner app, and a few others. I Can ask him for some pointers to give you when he gets back from asia.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
Perhaps already stated - Ever thought about a SigForum special? Invite members to buy at 2.99. Hell, you would probably pick up a few hundred new customers. I know only a fraction of us would need this app...but there are 80k members. 2% would generate 1600 users and a lot of good feedback.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:
Perhaps already stated - Ever thought about a SigForum special? Invite members to buy at 2.99. Hell, you would probably pick up a few hundred new customers. I know only a fraction of us would need this app...but there are 80k members. 2% would generate 1600 users and a lot of good feedback.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to set different prices for different people. It would have to be set to $2.99 for the whole world.

Limitations of Google Play.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:

Unfortunately, it's not possible to set different prices for different people. It would have to be set to $2.99 for the whole world.

Limitations of Google Play.

Ah. Got it.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah but...

In the spirit of marketing, couldn't you make it known that for 24 hours on "pick your date" the app will be at $2.99 for Sig Forum members? That way you have time to get the word out, and then you put the price back to where you want it after the 24 hours are up?

If it nets you some positive reviews, it may be worth the investment.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Yeah but...

In the spirit of marketing, couldn't you make it known that for 24 hours on "pick your date" the app will be at $2.99 for Sig Forum members? That way you have time to get the word out, and then you put the price back to where you want it after the 24 hours are up?

If it nets you some positive reviews, it may be worth the investment.

Yep. Agree. I was in the middle of something or would have written a very similar post.

Maybe run a week special. I bet many members would try it and jumpstart your review tally.

Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ok.

Starting Monday, 3/20 when I wake up, and ending Friday, 3/24 before I go to bed, the app will be on sale for $2.99.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd love to get it reviewed by some magazine or some such, but I have zero idea how to go about doing so.

As one approach, maybe get the author contact info from a few articles on reloading you respect, and send the authors an email with a short description of the app and where you're taking it, with some free registration codes for them and their friends. You are in the AIDA cycle - Awareness, Interest, Decision, Action. Get them interested and hopefully the rest will follow.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
I'd love to get it reviewed by some magazine or some such, but I have zero idea how to go about doing so.

As one approach, maybe get the author contact info from a few articles on reloading you respect, and send the authors an email with a short description of the app and where you're taking it, with some free registration codes for them and their friends. You are in the AIDA cycle - Awareness, Interest, Decision, Action. Get them interested and hopefully the rest will follow.

Actually, I did that a few days ago. Sent emails to several high-traffic online blogs/gear review/magazine authors. Included a brief description, and a link to the Play Store ad so they could see screenshots, etc. Told all of them I'd be happy to provide promotional codes if they'd like to review it.

Never even so much as a "no thank you" from any of them.

If I thought there were enough money in it, I'd hire a marketing company.