SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pupp Abuse, What Kind Of Person Does This ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pupp Abuse, What Kind Of Person Does This ? Login/Join 
Banned
posted
My wife Maggie ( Moonglow on The Forum), and I have taken in,as their forever home, four rescue puppies and also, raised one from seven weeks until he went to heaven at the age of 14. Each of the pups we adopted, had seen a level of abuse. The first, second, and third, recovered and were and turned out to be sweet loving guys and girls.

Our fourth has been with us for three months. The poor boy is a basket case except with Maggie. The slightest noise, beer can popping, will cause him to jump. There is no need to write a sob story as Ruger has a friend, Trigger , that mentors him and plays all out with Ruger showing great courage.

Being patient can create anger that rises up and seeks the cause. We both know that evil does exist. But who has this type of sickness.?

That is the question for The Members.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budding sociopaths.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
We rescued one like that years ago. Gizmo was fine with wife and daughter but would literally scream and hide if I walked into the room. She must have been abused by the man(?) of the house. Be patient, it took me years to earn that dogs trust but it can be done.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
But who has this type of sickness?

The same ones who need a baseball bat to the back of the head.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

I was going to go into much more graphic detail, but yes, this ^^^

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
On September 11th, it will be two years since I took in a black cat named Parsley. She was about two years of age when we got her. We got her from a shelter where she lived for several months. She is a great big daddy's girl. If my body is stopped someplace she is trying to get in my lap. Of a night, she climbs into bed after I do, and sleeps near my head.

However, if she is not looking at me and I touch her, she immediately goes on the defensive until she sees me, and then she begins to purr. I think she was abused in the same manner. I know cats can be weird, but she acts the part. She is really a sweet, loving kitty that I hope has hit the jackpot for a home.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It took our rescue Pit Bull about 6 months to get completely comfortable.
She would jump at even a moderate bump or bang. She still doesn't like loud noises, but she's much better now.

She is the sweetest dog I've had and is my shadow now.

Dogs are such beautiful and loving creatures; I can't fathom why a person would abuse one.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16489 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

I was going to go into much more graphic detail, but yes, this ^^^

And I will Third this. Specifically I'm thinking about that scene in Scarface where Al Capone uses a baseball bat on someone he didn't approve of.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
Our latest rescue has come a long way in the last 18 months. Loud noises, big things, and partially opened doors still set off survival behaviors.

She’s getting better everyday... and is a really sweet Bassett now.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is a Hell, but I truly hope there is a special place there for those who abuse dogs

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dog was so malnourished you could connect your fingers around his waist. The lady that rescued him, had him gain 20 pounds before putting him up for adoption & he was still underweight. He's a 55-58 pound dog. He had no hair on his tail from being in a cage that was too small for him 24/7, & his ears were so badly infested with maggots that they thought they'd have to amputate them.

He was missing 2 teeth & was terrified of stairs. We figure someone kicked him down the stairs. It took me over 30 min to get him up 1 flight of stairs the day I got him. He would not eat if we were in the room, even when it was obvious that he was hungry. Again, what did his previous owner do to him? Did they beat him if he ate? He was used as a stud at a puppy mill.

Luckily I grew up training animals. I earned his trust & we are bonded. When It was suggested that I get a Service Dog, I did my research, started our specific training, & he is now my Service Dog. I am very proud of him & he really has saved my life (in multiple ways, multiple time since).

I don't understand how anyone can do these things, but I am forever grateful he & I found each other. I needed him as much as he needed me.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
To all of the folks who have rescued and rehabilitated animals that have been abused -- THANK YOU!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7 years after we rescued her, our cat is still jumpy with everyone but us, and now the kids when they visit. I would use the baseball bat without compunction.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 4 dogs but one of them is most assuredlty "mine".

3 years ago I got a call from a friend telling me there was a young Great Dane on a kill list. She knew my love of Danes and although I/we did not need a new dog at the time off we went. When my daughter and I got to the shelter and asked the dane the girls just looked at each other funny and led us to a cage where, among all the shelter dogs going insane, there was one poor, scared girl balled up in a corner and she wouldn't budge. We had them bring her to us outside in a pen and there she was more lively but still would not let us near her. I finally got close to her and made sure she wasn't going to bite or be aggressive and at that point we agreed that this not a great dane would not be getting killed on this day. We had no real plan except to get her out of there and that's when things changed.

In speaking with the shelter people it appears this dog was found abandoned and severely abused on the streets. She was rescued and returned after 2 months because she "was not a good fit".

When the time came to get her in the car I told my daughter this is not going to be easy as she was so skittish and jumpy....well, I was wrong...as soon as I opened the car door "Harper" (shelter name) jumped in and tool up position in the back seat with her front paws on the center console. When I got in and started to drive away she stated kissing me uncontrollably to the point I had to pull over.

By the time we got her home her name was Molly and she has been my bestie since then.

What's sad is, we have shown her nothing but love and patience but she is still skittish, distrustful of new people and barks/growls for seemingly no reason but I promised her no one would ever hurt her again and crazy bitch or not, I will keep that promise.

And yes, if I could find the abusers who left her alone and scared with broken teeth and cuts os the people who adopted her then gave up on her too quickly there would be some choice words at best

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I did not expect such beautiful tales of puppy adoption in this thread. Maybe there are more good guys then bad.

posted Hide Post
I don't mention this particular war story much. It absolutely infuriates me, even years later.
There was a road on my beat that spans a river valley and in the fall, you can see all the way across it. Late at night, I was looking at a vehicle going away from me across the valley when I saw it swerve suddenly and nearly leave the road.
Thinking I was about to swoop down on yet another drunk, I sped up to close the gap. When I reached the spot where I saw the car swerve, I saw a dead kitten on the roadside and several others in the ditch.
The asshole had just thrown a cardboard box of kittens out of the window of a moving car!
This, my invisible SF friends, was a situation that called for the immediate application of the hammer of justice. And I planned to lower it. I needed horsepower and stood on the pedal to get it. Wasn't enough. The Diplomat tried its best, but I ended up losing the asshole in a residential area. I think he made it into a garage.
I went back and there were five kittens that were tossed out. One was dead and one got away. I spent the rest of the shift driving to surrounding jurisdictions and agencies to find dispatchers who fell for kitten cuteness and my story of how I got them. I got homes for all three.
Looking back, I am now glad I did not catch this asshole. Wouldn't have done my career any good.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Or the assholes that dump dogs. Here are the 3 that I rescued from the intersection across from my driveway 3 months ago

Amelie, the devilish little girl

Chad, my buddy he always keeps me in sight and is the first to me and in my lap.

And Coal. The other brother. He is the big lug of the trio. Love a car ride to Tractor supply for dog food and anything else he can grab a hold of.

I hope whoever dumped these guys burns for a long time..

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have rehabbed so many my friend. My Mal, original owner, guaranteed, did not know the requirements of the breed (work and more work) and hit her with shoes, and a paper/magazine. He used to throw shit too. If I toss a shirt into the hamper from cross the room I am being watched carefully. If I sling shoes onto the floor, same deal. One of her canines is completely missing. Those teeth are f’in strong and to remove half of it the sob had to hit her with metal or concrete. I can pick mals up off the ground with their jaw locked onto most any object. I had to train the fear of abandonment out of her, the physical abuse, etc. She could have been military or Police if it wasn’t for this pos.

I used to take in abused dogs, train the psychological, verbal, and physical abuse out. Then give them basic obedience. I’ve seen a lot of shit. Missing limbs, massive flesh gashes, missing eyes, all sorts of things. I couldn’t take the shelter work so I worked with an adoption agency so I wouldn’t have to deal with the shelter or horror stories. I had a Blue Heeler once where the whit trash owners had pierced her ears. When they couldn’t deal with the high energy of the breed they abandoned it. That dog would literally lay by the front door when I wasn’t at home and would not move. She wouldn’t respond to my family, nobody. She’d hold her pee for 10 hours, wouldn’t eat, drink, nothing. She’d wait all day or night for me to return. Fubar.

The reason? People are stupid. They see a tv show or movie and think man that would be awesome. Think of all the sold treadmills and bikes, and workout equipment sold that gets used once and sold in a garage sale. Idiots see a commercial of someone ripped, order said product then when their dumb ass figures out it takes work, they give up and go back to eating Cheetos on the couch. Same thing. People also don’t research breeds. They get dogs because they like how it looks with no attention paid to much else. When taking care of it becomes too much for them they abuse them. That’s how it works. Abuse then abandonment. Instead of dealing with it humanely and trying to get it adopted, or giving it to a shelter, they’ll drive to the country and abandon it. That’s how my mal made it to me. Thank God a fine k9 officer found her. She was skin and bones showing ribs and hips, almost dead via malnutrition. Verbal and physical abused. Someone bought a purebred Mal thinking they’d have a Police or Military type dog with no clue what it takes to take care of or train one. People are just dumb as rocks. I rarely even see a trained dog outside of formal training. Neighbor bought a GSD because she saw how well trained mine was next thing you know I see that dog pulling her down the street as she takes it on walks which is insufficient work for the breed. And good luck talking them out of what they want. They will not listen to education about breeds. You can lecture them all damn day and they’ll donwhat they want anyway. 6 months later calling you to see if “do you know anyone that wants it?”

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine,

Sounds like you and I are kindred spirits.

This is our three legged dog, Trixie. Rescued her 11 or 12 years ago. Found her in the woods thought she had been hit by a car. Turns out some fuckwad shot her with buckshot and left her. Had to have her leg amputated and she's blind in one eye and has no voice box from the other pellets. Damn she is a lover dog. She can give a hug like no other.

She plays aunt to the three pups.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Ruger--

With Maggie, his favorite personage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrmn50,