SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Duracell Crap Batteries
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duracell Crap Batteries Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted
...oh, how I hate thee.

Good thru "DEC 2023". My ass!

Was in my computer mouse. Mouse started acting strange. Took out batteries and found this one like this. Mad The other battery was fine.

I cleaned out the inside of the mouse as best I could and replaced with Amazon brand AA batteries.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Over the past 5 years I've had problems with every brand of AA batteries that I've tried.

I know that Duracell and Eveready will pay to replace items that are damaged by their batteries. I don't know if there is a dollar limit but both have replaced flashlights and/or other items. Duracell is by far the easier of the two to work with to get a refund. Everady makes you jump through a few hoops.

Last week I noticed an error message on our thermostat indicating it needed new AAA batteries. You guessed it, one had leaked. Luckily, the thermostat was not damaged.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
The mouse still works. I used a slightly moist Q-tip to clean out most of the leakage, blew it out with some canned air and got as much of it off of the springy piece deep inside that contacts the negative end of the battery.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dumped Duracell years ago after having to clean my thermostat & a couple of other items. I now buy Ray-O-Vac at Walmart & replace everything yearly.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Question: Are lithium batteries more leak-resistant than alkaline?

Yes, they cost more, but if they don't leak, and last longer, they might well be worth the cost.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Ive seen many similar reports about Duracell batteries, and it baffles me. I’ve used many Duracells over many years: AA, D, and 9v. But I’ve never seen one leak. I do have e-calendar reminders to change them periodically, whether they’re expired or not. Every two years for most.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Duracell used to be my go-to for alkalines, but over the past seven years or so, they've all been leak after leak. Mad And yes, I have had a lot of flashlights and electronics rendered useless due to the leaks. I've sworn them off.

Ironically, I've had better luck w/ the AA & AAA batteries I get for free-with-coupon at Harbor Freight.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've also had a disproportionately high number of Duracell's leak, mostly AA's. They ruined the electronic flash I (used to) use with my camera. Whenever I need to buy new batteries, I buy Eveready's now. I've been using some lithiums, but haven't really seen the increase in lifespan that they're touted to have.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Anyone had experience with rechargeable AA batteries in electronic devices WRT any leakage?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have been buying the Costco Kirkland batteries, they come in bulk, are less expensive, sometimes get Duracell at Costco, depends on the price.

I can't recall any of the kirklands leaking out, though they probably have, JMO they all do that, you just have to replace them.

Get some di-electric grease and put a dab on each end of the device you put batteries into, that will help reduce corrosion on the contacts

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I stopped buying Duracells a while back. Like others, I've had persistent leakage issues with AA and AAA batts in AV remotes, presenter clickers, laser pointers, portable radio, walkie talkies, etc. And I have also had leakage in MagLites with D batts as well. Never a problem with 9 volts.

I have been using Energizer Lithium AA & AAA and so far no leakage in the past 2 years. And I haven't used MagLites in years.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the battery is in an enclosed compartment for a long period, open it occasionally and vent the compartment.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Anyone had experience with rechargeable AA batteries in electronic devices WRT any leakage?

I’ve used NiMH AA and AAA rechargeable batteries in numerous electronics and never had any of them leak. Some are 15+ years old and, while they aren’t as good as when new, still hold enough of a charge to operate devices. All mine are the low discharge types which trade a little capacity for the ability to minimize self discharge.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using the bulk pack rayovacs for a few years now (local hardware store has them on sale a couple times a year) and haven't had any leak - even in the flashlights I keep in the vehicles (hot in the summer - down to -30 in the winter).

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Standard Energizer are the worst, have seen enough of them corroding straight from the manufacturer, in the packaging.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
quote:

I’ve used NiMH AA and AAA rechargeable batteries in numerous electronics and never had any of them leak. Some are 15+ years old and, while they aren’t as good as when new, still hold enough of a charge to operate devices. All mine are the low discharge types which trade a little capacity for the ability to minimize self discharge.

Same here. Been using Eneloop batteries and recharging them over and over for around 15 years. No leaks or problems.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I must have been born under a battery angel because I've been buying the Duracell bulk packs from Costco for years and have never had a failure. I love my angel. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In 2017, there was a thread on here about how Duracell Procells were better and that is what was installed in many medical devices.

From an Amazon supplier named Diabetes Health Supplies I bought:
  • 48 AAA
  • 48 AA
  • 12 9V

In every size, I have found them to be inferior AmazonBasics Alkaline Batteries. For example, in a timer for automatically turning on the garden hose I'd get 3+ months out of the AA AmazonBasics versus being lucky to get 1 month out of the Duracell Procell.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Yes, I've been using both Duracell and CVS brand rechargeables for many years now (15?) and have never had a leak. When they do occassionally go bad, they simply short out and stop working. Even that seems to happen less and less. I won't use any brand of alkalines any longer. Not worth it in the long run.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    We don't use alkaleak batteries at all, any more. If it's something we use constantly (e.g.: remotes) it gets NiMH rechargeables (e.g.: Eneloops). If it's something that is used only intermittently (e.g: my electronic ears) or needs to operate in extreme cold (e.g.: outdoor weather sensors), it gets Energizer lithium primary cells.

N.B.: IME, Kirkland alkaleaks are the worst I ever used. I had them start leaking in their packaging.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post