SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I've Reached the Limit of my Mac's Capabilties
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've Reached the Limit of my Mac's Capabilties Login/Join 
posted
I have a 2005 Mac desktop, which I have truly enjoyed. Several years ago I maxed out the RAM with a hardware upgrade. I've tweaked and twiddled, run scans and enhancement software, and done everything I can think of, and it's just too slow for my needs anymore. I think I may have to move on.

Sad.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd say you got your money out of a 14 year old computer.

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Once you've upgraded to a solid state drive and still don't get that performance you need, there's not much else to do but get a newer one.

What most people don't realize with Macs is that they can get one thats a couple years old used and still get equivalent performance to most brand new Windows laptops that aren't rigged for high performance.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'd say you got your money out of a 14 year old computer.

+++1

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I'm running a 2009 27" iMac, no gaming or high speed stuff so it still works fine for me. I just have to wait for a component to fail someday then upgrade, If yours is a 27" and have the original box for shipping you might find a buyer for it.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad recently had to do this and upgraded to a new iMac, as much as he hated spending the money he has not been happier in a while

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do wish there was a way to use that fine monitor somehow.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I too, have an older iMac that will not really handle the software that I am using, but has a fine display.

There might be a way to use a Mac mini to run the software, with a cable to the iMac to use the iMac for display, but if that would work I don't know how to do it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I too, have an older iMac that will not really handle the software that I am using, but has a fine display.

There might be a way to use a Mac mini to run the software, with a cable to the iMac to use the iMac for display, but if that would work I don't know how to do it.

The iMac must be a mid 2010 or newer.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
quote:

I have an app -- DUET -- that will let me connect an iPad to my MacBook, and use the iPad as a second display. I'm just wondering if it is technically possible to write an app to run on the older iMacs, pre-2010, that would let them serve as a display for a Mac Mini.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have an app -- DUET -- that will let me connect an iPad to my MacBook, and use the iPad as a second display. I'm just wondering if it is technically possible to write an app to run on the older iMacs, pre-2010, that would let them serve as a display for a Mac Mini.

Perhaps, but it isn't free. A working iMac, even a quite older one, will likely bring a hundred bucks or two, which would go a long way to buying a rather nice modern monitor.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps, but it isn't free. A working iMac, even a quite older one, will likely bring a hundred bucks or two, which would go a long way to buying a rather nice modern monitor.
Correct. Not free. Trying to remember, I think that I paid $15.00 for the DUET app. Worth it to me, as I wanted more screen real estate for my MacBook, I already had the iPad, so fifteen bucks for the DUET app was a lot cheaper than buying a monitor.

I would think that a similar app could be written to run on older versions of Mac OS X on an older iMac, that would turn the iMac into a monitor. It's quite possible that such an app already exists, and I just haven't found it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A Mac Mini and an ASUS 4K monitor would not be all that expensive.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll probably break weak and spend the money. I have it, I’m just cheap.