SIGforum
I've Reached the Limit of my Mac's Capabilties

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1790043754

May 31, 2019, 11:47 AM
Fredward
I've Reached the Limit of my Mac's Capabilties
I have a 2005 Mac desktop, which I have truly enjoyed. Several years ago I maxed out the RAM with a hardware upgrade. I've tweaked and twiddled, run scans and enhancement software, and done everything I can think of, and it's just too slow for my needs anymore. I think I may have to move on.

Sad.
May 31, 2019, 11:52 AM
HRK
I'd say you got your money out of a 14 year old computer.
May 31, 2019, 12:52 PM
K0ZZZ
Once you've upgraded to a solid state drive and still don't get that performance you need, there's not much else to do but get a newer one.

What most people don't realize with Macs is that they can get one thats a couple years old used and still get equivalent performance to most brand new Windows laptops that aren't rigged for high performance.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.
May 31, 2019, 12:54 PM
fpuhan
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'd say you got your money out of a 14 year old computer.

+++1

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
May 31, 2019, 04:59 PM
rizzle
I'm running a 2009 27" iMac, no gaming or high speed stuff so it still works fine for me. I just have to wait for a component to fail someday then upgrade, If yours is a 27" and have the original box for shipping you might find a buyer for it.
May 31, 2019, 05:21 PM
Kevmo
My Dad recently had to do this and upgraded to a new iMac, as much as he hated spending the money he has not been happier in a while
June 01, 2019, 06:21 AM
Fredward
I do wish there was a way to use that fine monitor somehow.
June 01, 2019, 07:13 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I too, have an older iMac that will not really handle the software that I am using, but has a fine display.

There might be a way to use a Mac mini to run the software, with a cable to the iMac to use the iMac for display, but if that would work I don't know how to do it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 01, 2019, 02:52 PM
sigcrazy7
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I too, have an older iMac that will not really handle the software that I am using, but has a fine display.

There might be a way to use a Mac mini to run the software, with a cable to the iMac to use the iMac for display, but if that would work I don't know how to do it.

The iMac must be a mid 2010 or newer.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
June 01, 2019, 04:20 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
quote:

I have an app -- DUET -- that will let me connect an iPad to my MacBook, and use the iPad as a second display. I'm just wondering if it is technically possible to write an app to run on the older iMacs, pre-2010, that would let them serve as a display for a Mac Mini.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 01, 2019, 08:05 PM
sigcrazy7
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have an app -- DUET -- that will let me connect an iPad to my MacBook, and use the iPad as a second display. I'm just wondering if it is technically possible to write an app to run on the older iMacs, pre-2010, that would let them serve as a display for a Mac Mini.

Perhaps, but it isn't free. A working iMac, even a quite older one, will likely bring a hundred bucks or two, which would go a long way to buying a rather nice modern monitor.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
June 01, 2019, 08:11 PM
V-Tail
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps, but it isn't free. A working iMac, even a quite older one, will likely bring a hundred bucks or two, which would go a long way to buying a rather nice modern monitor.
Correct. Not free. Trying to remember, I think that I paid $15.00 for the DUET app. Worth it to me, as I wanted more screen real estate for my MacBook, I already had the iPad, so fifteen bucks for the DUET app was a lot cheaper than buying a monitor.

I would think that a similar app could be written to run on older versions of Mac OS X on an older iMac, that would turn the iMac into a monitor. It's quite possible that such an app already exists, and I just haven't found it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 02, 2019, 12:14 AM
sjtill
A Mac Mini and an ASUS 4K monitor would not be all that expensive.

June 02, 2019, 06:24 AM
Fredward
I’ll probably break weak and spend the money. I have it, I’m just cheap.