SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is a decent can opener too much to ask?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a decent can opener too much to ask? Login/Join 
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
I've had one of these on my key ring for ~36 years. Never fails.

I have carried the same one(known as a P-38 which came with the field rations (C-rations) on my key ring since Aug 1968 ( 50 plus years) and it still works just as good as when it was issued . In my prime I could beat an electric opener............ .....drill sgt.

I got mine in 1969. Unfortunately I lost it when coming back to the states. I know that Amazon sells them just haven't ordered from them in a while. But I will get another one as they do last forever, as long as you don't lose it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Pricey ($34), but this Rösle is the best hand held manual can opener available:

www.amazon.com/dp/B001CJQ73W/r..._api_i_VUXIEbAQQB0NY

A smooth edge side cutter with big comfortable easy to grip handles and crank. Never gets even the least bit dirty. I’ve used mine (frequently) for several years, and it’s still as clean as new even though I’ve never cleaned it.

It also has an excellent pliers gripper to take off a cut top that’s stuck on to the can by internal adhesive material.

The cut-off top is useable as a can lid if you don’t use the entire contents.

I’m willing to pay premium prices for superior tools that I use frequently.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Only down side with that style is if you eat tuna or the like, you can't squeeze the liquid out using the lid.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
OXO manual side cutter is what we have and use for years. Now with a coupon on Amazon.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If you're wearing them out that fast, I wonder if you're doing it wrong

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
You have me puzzled, I've had the same Swing Away can opener for 30 years, but I only open 4-6 cans per month.

That's part of the reason why yours has lasted so long... It was made 30 years ago, when companies made things to last a lifetime (or more).

Most companies, even many of the better quality companies from days past, have bought into the "cheap and disposable" mindset, and cut corners in quality and durability in favor of chasing a lower price point.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most companies, even many of the better quality companies from days past, have bought into the "cheap and disposable" mindset, and cut corners in quality and durability in favor of chasing a lower price point.

^^^
Exactly. I read an article about how Home Depot and Lowes sold only tools that met the price point. If your product did not meet the price point you had no luck in getting it on the shelves.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a beef with can openers as well. It will just ride up and skip over a quarter- or half-inch section of the can. What is really bad is when the spots where it didn't cut are directly across from each other.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have went through several. I currently have a kitchen aid that seems to work really well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
I had one of these given to me. After fiddling with it for 15 min trying to figure out how it works, I threw away the damn thing on the spot.

LOL I know, I know.

quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Smooth Touch Can Opener w/ Lid Lifter - Side Cutting Design, No Sharp Edges! Wink

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We've been 'running' this one in our Kitchen for 3+ years... Cool

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
(Pic of EKCO manual opener)

Fpuhan, I have that same one, probably of the same vintage. I hope I never misplace that thing!

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had an Oxo Side cutter so long I have no idea now long I've had it.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I have that exact one but anymore it only seems work if I squeeze with all my might so I'm looking for a replacement.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
OXO manual side cutter is what we have and use for years. Now with a coupon on Amazon.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I have that exact one but anymore it only seems work if I squeeze with all my might so I'm looking for a replacement.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

OXO SIDE CUTTER With $5.71 coupon!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajensen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have went through several. I currently have a kitchen aid that seems to work really well.

I also have a Kitchen Aid that is several years old and still cuts like it was new.

Posts: 26 | Location: Retired in SC | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Zyliss can opener works well for me.

Thank you....this was the one my wife was trying to describe that her mom had for years!
Another vote for Zyliss. We've had this one for a little over 10 years with no problems and very satisfied.

-The one linked above shows discontinued. This is the link for the replacement.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
this one for a little over 10 years with no problems and very satisfied.

-The one linked above shows discontinued. This is the link for the replacement.

From the link it looks like it's getting mixed reviews, only 2.6 out of 5 for ease of use, which is the problem I'm having with my OXO. My OXO worked pretty well new but after a few years of use it seems worn out.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Still using a Swing-a-Way I bought in the late 1970s.
Newer editions of the same type are a crap shoot.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post