SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is a decent can opener too much to ask?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a decent can opener too much to ask? Login/Join 
posted
I dot use a lot of canned goods so I prefer manual, hand help can openers but it seems that no matter what price point they last 6 months and then stop working....I doing know what this is a bridge too far?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I assume you've tried a EZ DUZ IT. What stops working on them?

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were having this discussion two nights ago.

We have four in the drawer that are junk. I don't eat that many can goods any so they should last more than a few months. Plus I buy decent can openers.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Zyliss can opener works well for me.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
As with many of my kitchen utensils, I inherited them from my mother. Circa 1970s.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Smooth Touch Can Opener w/ Lid Lifter - Side Cutting Design, No Sharp Edges! Wink

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We've been 'running' this one in our Kitchen for 3+ years... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8862 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
I assume you've tried a EZ DUZ IT. What stops working on them?

Tried one and it lasted the longest....eventually they all stop cutting around the whole can and I have to pry lid off

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd look at some garage/estate sales for a pre-Chinese model.

Posts: 9489 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Modern can openers are like a photograph that's been xerox copied too many times. All the quality and finer points of the designs have been washed out and lost.

Posts: 21091 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I have 2 vintage SwingAways, one in my kitchen, one in my car camping gear. Both are pre-China models and they work flawlessly. Modern electric can openers are junk

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Bought one on Amazon made by Kitchen Aid a couple years ago, and I love it. It will cut from the top or the side.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I've had one of these on my key ring for ~36 years. Never fails.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Smooth Touch Can Opener w/ Lid Lifter - Side Cutting Design, No Sharp Edges! Wink

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We've been 'running' this one in our Kitchen for 3+ years... Cool

Go with a side cutter like this. We have the pampered chef version and has worked great for 18 years

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need one for opening number 10 cans. So that is what I am looking for.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Zyliss can opener works well for me.

Thank you....this was the one my wife was trying to describe that her mom had for years!

posted Hide Post
I have an OXO one that's been very good. I believe they sell them at Bed Bath Beyond for about $10.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the ones that cut the outside rim, so there's no sharp edge.
Had a Good Cook two handle model which become dull from several years of service.

Couldn't find an exact replacement, but come across an even better solution.

Mainstays single handle safe cut ($8.97).
Simple to use, easier to use due to the single handle and requires less strength to operate.
Had it for a year? Still works as good as new.

I need to buy a few extras for gifts and spares.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mai...lEAQYCiABEgIJRfD_BwE

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
I've had one of these on my key ring for ~36 years. Never fails.

I have carried the same one(known as a P-38 which came with the field rations (C-rations) on my key ring since Aug 1968 ( 50 plus years) and it still works just as good as when it was issued . In my prime I could beat an electric opener............ .....drill sgt.

Posts: 1996 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I need one for opening number 10 cans. So that is what I am looking for.

I have these, I got them from US Foods

Link

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have me puzzled, I've had the same Swing Away can opener for 30 years, but I only open 4-6 cans per month.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54591 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post