SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Missed the whole convertible season
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missed the whole convertible season Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Just put my S2000 back in "storage" with an appropriate change in insurance as has been the norm since I bought it new in 2003. But this year, thanks to COVID, I've basically been sequestered at home since early March. Only mileage on her this year was the couple when my son took her to have the tires inflated to spec for me.

So yeah, this sucks as I really enjoy the little sled. More and more as I grow older too... go figure!

Medical appointments were done in my sedan as invariably the weather wasn't conducive to top down driving those days.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are cool cars. I was just talking with my wife yesterday and saying that I think we probably drove her convertible more this year than any other since we bought it in 2014.

The good thing when you have garage space is you don't have to really "put it up". You have a nice 70 degree day in November break it out.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
You'll get some warm days. I drive my convertible year round (hardtop). If it's 60 degrees or above and no rain, the top is down!

Big Grin

well, it was 51 degrees the other night and I had to have the top down to do a transport.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I put 1,440 miles on my 2006 New Formula Red S2000. Thursday I drove to town to have lunch with a friend. I noticed my RR tire was low. Took it into Discount Tire where I bought the tires about 7,000 miles ago. They said they could look at it in 4-5 hours.

I went to a local store where I had bought tires before. They promptly broke down the tire to tell me the sidewall had broken down due to under-inflation. Well, I'll have 2 new Michelin rears next week before I take the insurance off. Always a sad day.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. All the shows and meets were cancelled this year except our local car show a two weeks ago. Got to make that one. But missed out on the Gator Nats, The Buick Grand Nationals, and several others. Hope winter passes quickly for ya!

I'm kicking chocks on my 1964-Buick-Skylark-Pervertible-GS-Prototype-Wannabe™ in the morning to hit Cruisin' the Coast all next week in Ocean Springs.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have owned a few BMWs, some modern muscle a couple muscle trucks, a Miata, 2 Porsche 911s including my current C4S and my FAVORITE car I have ever owned.......a 2005 Honda S2000. Pre drive by wire, AP2 but still winded out insanely high when you wanted, and a sublime gearbox.

Hell of a fun car. Don’t ever get rid of it.

Miyamoto....yeah most of my cars have names....sue me. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks to COVID, I've basically been sequestered at home since early March.
Why? Driving alone with the top down in the country is extremely low risk.

Prior to the heat and humidity of Houston's summer, I rode my motorcycle for hours and hours nights and weekends. I had family members try to talk me out of it with scenarios like someone infected coughing out a window of their car as I drive past. Between aerodynamics and probability of contact (it's 1 mile from my house to the freeway, and then 5 miles of freeway until I'm on backroads in the country and a National Forrest) it's essentially a noncredible scenario for me.

I saw people in convertibles doing the same.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Living in South Florida all my life you'd think that I would have purchased at some point a convertible as the weather is mostly conducive but this was the closest I've ever got to having one. Though I would like to mention that one of the reasons I chose a Honda as my last retirement car is your enthusiasm for your Honda posts over the years bald1..

note: there is a story about the guitar in the car showing "proof of life" for a popular guitar forum in the past!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Me too. Currently figuring out a major shoulder injury. This is just hanging out in the garage...

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post

Here's my '05 S2000 in Hana, Maui in May 2010, when I first started living in Maui.

Looked pristine then. Since then needed a new roof, new tires, now has 46,000 miles. And it's been sitting in a rented storage space under a car cover for all of 2020.

Now in October, it's still too damned hot, even in San Diego, to drive it with the top down.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Okay, it's more than Covid here. I have invested in Imodium common stock (just kidding) due to the side effects of my oral chemo drugs. Fatigue and the threat of an "accident" dissuade me from outings more than the 10 minutes or so to medical appointments. My neighbor gets my groceries, mail, puts out the trash, etc., so that I don't have to. Her idea and I'm super appreciative.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I would like to mention that one of the reasons I chose a Honda as my last retirement car is your enthusiasm for your Honda posts over the years bald1..

Thank you Will. Thanks a nice sentiment. And yes, old man Honda's 50th anniversary sled is a joy and a classic. A 10 year run with 110k cars produced for worldwide sales. Enjoy yours in good health! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Here's my '05 S2000, now has 46,000 miles. And it's been sitting in a rented storage space under a car cover for all of 2020.

Now in October, it's still too damned hot, even in San Diego, to drive it with the top down.

Damn Doc. Take it out into the open spaces escaping the congestion of San Diego. Enjoy your retirement!

Mine is a 2003 AP1 with about 35k on the clock.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
I would like to mention that one of the reasons I chose a Honda as my last retirement car is your enthusiasm for your Honda posts over the years bald1..

Thank you Will. Thanks a nice sentiment. And yes, old man Honda's 50th anniversary sled is a joy and a classic. A 10 year run with 110k cars produced for worldwide sales. Enjoy yours in good health! Big Grin

bald1, your welcome. And another small quirk that I have is that I may get your first name if you don't mind, I would love to add you into my daily prayer log...I know weird right? But sometimes it's just a tad more personal to me to add a name in my prayer requests. Thank you. I wish you well and many good years ahead of enjoying that little beauty.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Me too. Currently figuring out a major shoulder injury. This is just hanging out in the garage...

Wow, she's a beauty coloradohunter44, looks almost exactly like my BIL old convertible. Actually it looks to be it exactly. I don't remember all the specifics but it had a newer engine that was pretty modified and HP boosted. Beautiful car and he wouldn't have given it up for the world until he eventually went over to the dark-side and bought a new one Smile Though it made my sister happier, she just didn't get the vintage classic appeal.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

bald1, your welcome. And another small quirk that I have is that I may get your first name if you don't mind, I would love to add you into my daily prayer log...I know weird right? But sometimes it's just a tad more personal to me to add a name in my prayer requests. Thank you. I wish you well and many good years ahead of enjoying that little beauty.

Thanks Will. Your adding me to your log is most appreciated.
--Bob

PS Would have responded by email but none is listed in your public profile.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Okay, it's more than Covid here. I have invested in Imodium common stock (just kidding) due to the side effects of my oral chemo drugs. Fatigue and the threat of an "accident" dissuade me from outings more than the 10 minutes or so to medical appointments.
Sorry to hear that. May you kick cancers ass this winter so you're back on the road in your S2000 next spring.
quote:
My neighbor gets my groceries, mail, puts out the trash, etc., so that I don't have to. Her idea and I'm super appreciative.
That's an awesome neighbor!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Have only driven a few, but the S2k is a blast, even if I'm a bit more Miata biased.

An AP2 in Suzuka Blue with the blue/black interior would be my pick.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Have only driven a few, but the S2k is a blast, even if I'm a bit more Miata biased.

An AP2 in Suzuka Blue with the blue/black interior would be my pick.

I owned a used 1999 Miata base and then upgraded to a new 2005 Mazdaspeed turbo Miata. It was fast. Then I upgraded to my current 2006 S2000. That was a real upgrade. Nicest darn vehicle I’ve ever owned out of 38 cars/trucks and SUVs. I hope to have it for life (mine).

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
LOL I'm a reformed Miata owner too having had a 1996 MX5 before my 2003 S2K. Big Grin

Hell I go way back with my sports car history having started with a hopped up '58 TR3A in the mid '60s. Loved the reactions to the crank start. LOL

How its done by another old sod. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192